Brandon Warren (merged)

February 10, 2007
(WVLT Sports Overtime) -- The ink is hardly dry on the Vols 2007 signing class. With that said, perhaps a former five star recruit is in Tennessee's future.
Sources out of Tallahassee have told Sports Overtime's Daryl Hobby that Florida State tight end, and Alcoa native, Brandon Warren left the school today and will not return.
It's believed that Warren will transfer to Tennessee. If he gets a hardship release from the NCAA he could play immediately. If not, he'll have to sit out a year.
Warren was a five star recruit coming out of Alcoa High School. He was a stellar tight end, as well as a dominating defensive end. With the Seminoles, he was named to several freshman All-American teams, but word on the FSU campus is that Warren isn't happy and is homesick.
As of Friday, Florida State University says Warren is still enrolled in school and is in good academic standing.

And just to pass on the information..

During his recruitment he never said a bad thing about the Vols.
He never said it was not very hard to decide between the two.
FSU recruited him as TE.
UT primarily recruited him as a DE and he wanted to play TE.
UT had commitments from Lee Smith, Luke Stocker & Michael Goggans at the time.
FSU seemed to be pursuing him harder and the situation looked better at TE.

Plenty has changed since then...

His mother's health.
Michael Goggans bailed to Auburn on signing day.
Lee Smith is off the team.
Offensive Coordinator is gone at FSU.
Cutcliffe has brought the Offense back into good form.
And lastly Warren's perspective on what is best for him and his family has changed.

You guys should support this kid, even if doesn't play for UT.

And just to pass on the information..

During his recruitment he never said a bad thing about the Vols.
He never said it was not very hard to decide between the two.
FSU recruited him as TE.
UT primarily recruited him as a DE and he wanted to play TE.
UT had commitments from Lee Smith, Luke Stocker & Michael Goggans at the time.
FSU seemed to be pursuing him harder and the situation looked better at TE.

Plenty has changed since then...

His mother's health.
Michael Goggans bailed to Auburn on signing day.
Lee Smith is off the team.
Offensive Coordinator is gone at FSU.
Cutcliffe has brought the Offense back into good form.
And lastly Warren's perspective on what is best for him and his family has changed.

You guys should support this kid, even if doesn't play for UT.

WELL SAID!!

maybe he could play both..i think he could be a awesome DE...actually i know he is a awesome DE but that was on the highschool level.

sorry, I still dont get the "two year" thing

I guess it means he wont play for us until fall 2008, is that right?

if so, I think it is not too bad. since he has not used his redshirt yr, he could use it in 2007 season, and play for us in fall 2008 with 3 yr eligibility left.

correct me if I am wrong...

Yeah... I'm still not feeling this two year thing, either. He leaves FSU this semester, sits out the 2007 season and should be ready to play by fall of 2008... just like any other transfer I thought. That is one calendar year, regardless. Where is this extra year coming from? It's not like he is transfering to another conference school...

Someone needs to either explain this or clear up this rumor...

Yeah... I'm still not feeling this two year thing, either. He leaves FSU this semester, sits out the 2007 season and should be ready to play by fall of 2008... just like any other transfer I thought. That is one calendar year, regardless. Where is this extra year coming from? It's not like he is transfering to another conference school...

Someone needs to either explain this or clear up this rumor...

Do you not have to stay in school two years to fulfuill your LOI?

About the release, what does FSU stand to gain by not giving him his release? If he's not going to play and they can release him from his schollie, can't they use that schollie on someone that will actually play for them?

My guess is that this could hurt FSU in the future with players that may want to leave because of homesickness. I believe they will release him in the end. I think they are just trying to make him sweat and maybe return to FSU.

Vols don't go 5-6 in 2005, and this is all mute. He would have 1 year under his belt.

Did you follow his recruitment last season? Our 2005 record did not have much of an effect on his recruitment. He GREW UP AND FSU fan. We were working from behind from the beginning. As UT fans, we always assume every kid that grows up in Tennessee must be a UT fan. But its just not the case.

Vols don't go 5-6 in 2005, and this is all mute. He would have 1 year under his belt.

Really not true. Much of the ground work for the highly rated 2007 class that just came in was laid down directly after the 2005 season. Kids don't focus solely on a team's w/l record for one season, like fans do.

The 2 year thing, as I understand it, applies if FSU does NOT grant a release... On normal transfers, the school grants a release when the kid leaves, they are saying FSU wont.

If they dont sign a release, then its 09 for Warren, provided he doesnt win the hardship. If they DO sign the release, he can play in 08.

The 2 year thing, as I understand it, applies if FSU does NOT grant a release... On normal transfers, the school grants a release when the kid leaves, they are saying FSU wont.

If they dont sign a release, then its 09 for Warren, provided he doesnt win the hardship. If they DO sign the release, he can play in 08.

What if he pulls a Brent Scheaffer and goes to Pellisippi State or something?

The latest is, he hasn't gotten his release yet. They have said they would not release him either. He made a statement about 3 weeks ago that could have gotten him in trouble as well. He stated that he would not be leaving and he would be playing football for FSU next season. So right now he would have to sit out 2 years minimum. Hopefully this is not the case but we all know the NCAA has no common sense. Also the Choice guy from GT got a medical hardship because his momma sustained a "foot" injury. Cancer > Foot injury, and hopefully the NCAA knows this as well.

I've heard that she had the cancerous kidney removed but she is still waiting for the transplant which is still serious.

I still think that he will get a release. BB and staff are just making him sweat to see if he will return.

VN Store

Back