BUTCH JONES said: This is unacceptable when you play football at the University of TN

If you would actually read our posts and get off your damn high horse, you would see I said Jones had a poor game.

I'm trying... but I have to cut through quite a bit of BS.

If you acknowledge that then our disagreement is on the margin not the mass.

Nope. I probably never will but certainly not before year 3.

Even if you thought he deserved it... it isn't realistic to think it would happen and it is counterproductive to do it.

I really and truly hope that Jones is better than what he showed today. But I am not blind to what he did today.

I'm not either...but in the end, those minor mistakes wouldn't have mattered....this year is gonna be rough

I'm pretty sure Butch would admit in a private conversation that he and his staff did not have their best day. A better game plan and in game decision making wouldn't have changed the outcome but maybe the severity of the loss. That doesn't mean he isn't the right man for the job, it just means we have a long way to go and he can't afford to have any more off days with our talent level and level of competition if he plans to be successful.

he better find a better OC and DC , I don't know what kind of Off. they are suppose to be running but it isn't working and as for DC , I thought Sal was out their calling the Def.

I guess not having depth or talent has anything to do with it right? Sheesh. We could have had Chavis or Smart calling the defense and it would not have mattered. Do you honestly think a different DC would have made a difference?

A different OC would not have made that much of a difference either. Maybe we would have scored a few more TD's but thats about it. It all comes down to talent and Butch doesn't have that much of it. Not his fault.

I'm trying... but I have to cut through quite a bit of BS.

If you acknowledge that then our disagreement is on the margin not the mass.

No, you are not. You are simply trying to establish this crazy narrative that this games proves something about Coach Jones, in which case you are judging a coach game 3 into his career. Which is simply asinine.

You think everyone is defending the coach. Really they're just calling you out for building a premature narrative.

That is what I don't understand. Most of us don't know how CBJ will be. He started out great in recruiting, but if he can't beat a ranked team like Dooley, then he will need to go. But one game on the road at #2 is not going to tell you that. It is asinine to say that this is an "indication" that he won't be successful.

Man I truly love it. A new head coach coaching his thrid game, against the 2nd ranked team, and his 1st road game of his tenure at Tennessee, and people are already saying that he's going to fail here? People are truly stupid. Your going to have to be patient we just came off of having the worst UT coach ever. Brick by Brick people, relax enjoy the little things and also accept that we have fallen far. We're not the UT of old and accept that, once you do you will stop sounding like and idiot on VN.

BUTCH JONES: This is unacceptable when you play football at the University of Tennessee.

: We need to regroup. It's a very, very long season. We're going to find out our competitive spirit.

Our fan showing was outstanding. This will not be tolerated. We can NEVER accept this performance.

This football team is prideful. It's all in the week of prep. Florida isn't going to feel sorry for us. We have to get better.

THIS IS A QUOTE FROM BUTCH JONES AFTER THE GAME>

I agree this was unacceptable, eventually play/ coach like you have nothing to lose.

That is what I don't understand. Most of us don't know how CBJ will be. He started out great in recruiting, but if he can't beat a ranked team like Dooley, then he will need to go. But one game on the road at #2 in his 3rd game at Tennessee is not going to tell you that. It is asinine to say that this is an "indication" that he won't be successful.

added to your post.

Nope. I probably never will but certainly not before year 3.

Even if you thought he deserved it... it isn't realistic to think it would happen and it is counterproductive to do it.

I really and truly hope that Jones is better than what he showed today. But I am not blind to what he did today.

Congratulations! We'll all remember you as the one who threw the first stone. That is what you want right? To say I told you so? Sure comes across that way.

No, you are not. You are simply trying to establish this crazy narrative that this games proves something about Coach Jones, in which case you are judging a coach game 3 into his career. Which is simply asinine.

Maybe YOU need to get off YOUR high horse and actually read what I have written. I SPECIFICALLY said this was NOT a conclusion but an indication. It is a game that suggests he is NOT the right coach to win championships at UT. He got blown out worse than UVA statistically and almost as bad as Nicholl's State.

Yes I am judging. This is a weight on the side of the balance that says he's not the right coach. He has 3 years to overcome it in all likelihood... but the job he did today just didn't scream "SEC championship coach". He undercoached his talent and embarrassed the program.

I agree with CBJ...this is unacceptable....

Some Vol fans here don't get it....

Everybody penciled this game in as a loss....

Worley is not the guy, neither is Peterman, right now Ferguson or Dobbs aren't either....

We are rebuilding. We played one of the best teams in the country.

We don't have the studs we have had in the past...

It's going to take time.

Fulmer, Kiffin and Dooly with staffs set us up for diaster.

I do think that some of our players don't get it....

We have fans that have never experienced this before....71 to 85 was worse than this, trust me it was....

Going to be 2-3 years for those already critiquing CBJ get over it because there is nobody knocking the door to coach this team.

Get over this...some of you at acting like a bunch of teenage girl with their panties in a wad..

Last edited:
Man I truly love it. A new head coach coaching his thrid game, against the 2nd ranked team, and his 1st road game of his tenure at Tennessee, and people are already saying that he's going to fail here? People are truly stupid. Your going to have to be patient we just came off of having the worst UT coach ever. Brick by Brick people, relax enjoy the little things and also accept that we have fallen far. We're not the UT of old and accept that, once you do you will stop sounding like and idiot on VN.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know not punt on 4th & 1 when your defense can't stop them.. At least test your all sec offensive line to blow up a hole for RB to pick up a yard. Just saying, your players will feed off the confidence of their coach...still all Butch, but hat was weak.

Maybe YOU need to get off YOUR high horse and actually read what I have written. I SPECIFICALLY said this was NOT a conclusion but an indication. It is a game that suggests he is NOT the right coach to win championships at UT. He got blown out worse than UVA statistically and almost as bad as Nicholl's State.

Yes I am judging. This is a weight on the side of the balance that says he's not the right coach. He has 3 years to overcome it in all likelihood... but the job he did today just didn't scream "SEC championship coach". He undercoached his talent and embarrassed the program.

LOL. Saban's loss to Louisiana-Monroe in his first year didn't scream "SEC Championship coach." But he turned out all right. Just comical. I should end the night on that note.

And yes, I know that Saban was successful before that. Jones has been as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

You're still trying to use this game to say that Butch won't win championships. You have no clue what his team will look like at the end of the year. Butch hasn't even had time to coach his team yet, and you are judging him. Let things play out before you bark.

I'm pretty sure Butch would admit in a private conversation that he and his staff did not have their best day. A better game plan and in game decision making wouldn't have changed the outcome but maybe the severity of the loss. That doesn't mean he isn't the right man for the job, it just means we have a long way to go and he can't afford to have any more off days with our talent level and level of competition if he plans to be successful.

Honestly, this coaching staff will have to grow almost as much as the team the next couple of years. We all say they "get it" because they are running things the right way, but execution and game planning is something they will have to develop for the level they are now coaching at.

I think they will get it done, but it will be the "process" they're talking about.

And saying this is an indication is still asinine. Did Coach Jones cost UT this game? Was there anything Coach Jones could have done gameplan wise to put UT in position to win? Was there anything way Coach Jones cost UT the game? No, there wasn't. Trying to judge a coach game three into his career is a dumb way to evaluate coaches.

And he did not embarrass the program. It was frustrating to watch, but his team didn't quit.

Oh, and Oregon played at home this game, where of course they will player better than 3,000 miles against Virginia.

Congratulations! We'll all remember you as the one who threw the first stone. That is what you want right? To say I told you so? Sure comes across that way.

No. I want to say "SEC championship". That's all.

I have already said what I think. If you think this is a tough roster and schedule... wait until next year. If this season goes as bad as all you "realists" think then next year is worse.... none of you will be so pro-Jones by '15.

I will support Jones getting his chance. I want him to succeed as badly as any of you. He's almost certain to get 3 years. But I am not going to ignore a poor performance or blame his poor performance on other things.

Conveniently parsing the facts there.... like leaving out '11- 22.6 ppg, 340 ypg. Oh, and that many of the guys playing/starting now played or started as underclassmen in '10 and '11.

Comparing to last year is truly illegitimate.

You sir are truly sad. You were just comparing to 2010. What makes comparing this year to last year vs comparing this year to 2010 any less, as you put it, "illegitimate?"

This^^^^^^

People need to realize that we are not the TN of old. We can't expect to see a competitive football team. We shouldn't expect to be in the ballgame at the end of the first qtr. We need to realize that 6 wins is OK and nothing to be ashamed of.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm pretty sure Butch would admit in a private conversation that he and his staff did not have their best day.

It would be very sad if that's all Butch would say. Instead he needs to admit (in private conversation if necessary) that this was his staff's absolute worst possible day (or if not they should all immediately be fired).

VN Store

Back