BUTCH JONES said: This is unacceptable when you play football at the University of TN

Kidding right? This team has seniors and upperclassmen on the OL and in the D front 7. No depth? Lots of teams that didn't get embarrassed today lack depth.

This was a VERY poor coaching job. It might have been too much to expect a win... but the worst loss in 100 years? Dooley didn't have a team to beat Oregon 3 years ago either. He had them in the game at the half with an O that consisted of Poole right, Poole left.

sjt18, what's your football pedigree for evaluating player and coaches? X-box? Fantasy football? Maybe you were a back up QB on a subpar HS football team? I love reading your posts. The way you write so condescendedly to all these other folks on here that disagree with you, as though you know something they don't. Ha! ha! ha! What a joke!

This is an absurd overreaction.

We have a poor secondary and a poor quarterback, a good offensive line but very middling running backs. We were playing a team that was able to easily exploit all of those weaknesses.

I'm disappointed, too, but I don't know that I'm ready to abandon ship.

That's why you emphasize your strength, the O-line by lining up in the power I and running the ball! We did not do this, why?

Delusional optimism. Sometimes it works. A lot of times it doesn't.

Expecting a team to play at its talent level is not delusional. Expecting a championship coach to coach a team above its talent level is also not delusional.

We saw neither today.

With 4th and short and Oregon with momentum, you put the game in the hands of your best unit- the OL.

They actually had some run plays that worked... and went away from them. Even the stupid announcers noticed that Oregon wasn't even trying to rush the passer most of the time. They dropped 8 into coverage to make Worley beat them. Not once did they use the receivers to run the coverage off and then run a QB draw. Worley would not have to be fast to pick up enough to make that an unworkable plan.

DON'T KICK TO #6, MORON.

How many times does the TE do nothing but run to the middle of the field and stop before you say... Hey, we ought to stop that play?
I'll be honest, I was expecting a little more than that. But like I said, I know time is limited.

There is nothing subjective about 59-14. That's very concrete.

It can most certainly be refuted. Name the adjustment that was made to what Oregon was doing. Name one thing you could say that this team did better than one year ago against the real competition they faced today. Name anything at all that I can latch on to from today that would give me hope that Jones is the right guy.

I would LOVE for him to turn things around. I would LOVE for this to be an aberration. Give me just a single reason to believe that.
What you've done is take a familiar refrain of yours, waited for the first inevitable train wreck and tried to make hay off it. There's absolutely zero to be learned from a road game against the fastest team we'll ever see other than we've got a long way to go . . . and we knew that going in.

I still can't figure out where this talent is that you're talking about other than maybe on the o-line. Our skill position play is crippling to anything that we try to do offensively and we're a disaster in coverage.

Reactions: 3 people
Chk the stats to the game as well
TN OR
Penalties 4/40 8/60
Turnovers 1 0
Possession 35:14 25:42

These are great if you look at the fact we played the #2 team in the country.
They have a tun of speed.
We had freshman on defense who were nervous making mistakes
That crap happens.

Reactions: 1 person
What you've done is take a familiar refrain of yours, waited for the first inevitable train wreck and tried to make hay off it. There's absolutely zero to be learned from a road game against the fastest team we'll ever see other than we've got a long way to go . . . and we knew that going in.

This x100.

Basically, what we are complaining about is a possible 48-21 game that got turned into a 59-14 game that was over midway through the second quarter. I mean, really?

You need to buy a book about football. Then maybe you would understand or maybe not.

lets hear your take on the off. and Def.
how many different running plays did you see ? they wasn't fooling nobody.
Def. just like last year , out of position ,cant tackle and cant cover a shadow. Now your turn since you know so much

sjt18, what's your football pedigree for evaluating player and coaches? X-box? Fantasy football? Maybe you were a back up QB on a subpar HS football team? I love reading your posts. The way you write so condescendedly to all these other folks on here that disagree with you, as though you know something they don't. Ha! ha! ha! What a joke!

No. I don't "know" anything they don't... I can just apply reason to what we commonly know.

I have yet to say Jones was going to fail or was not the right coach. I HAVE said that this is an indication that he's not. He coached poorly in this game. Very poorly.

You can deny that all you like.

Amusing that someone lectures someone else about being condescending while saying things like you did in your post. That is truly a "joke".

No. I don't "know" anything they don't... I can just apply reason to what we commonly know.

I have yet to say Jones was going to fail or was not the right coach. I HAVE said that this is an indication that he's not. He coached poorly in this game. Very poorly.

You can deny that all you like.

Amusing that someone lectures someone else about being condescending while saying things like you did in your post. That is truly a "joke".

Which is completely stupid.

That's why you emphasize your strength, the O-line by lining up in the power I and running the ball! We did not do this, why?

We hired coaches who run spread offense so unfortunately this should not come as a surprise. Get used to it.

Expecting a team to play at its talent level is not delusional. Expecting a championship coach to coach a team above its talent level is also not delusional.

We saw neither today.

Your statement was just delusional. It's a sad fact bro. Ever since we fired Fulmer it's been a travesty.

Reactions: 3 people
If you are trying to judge a coach off year one, then you aren't doing it right.

I wasn't expecting Tn to win but I was expecting them to be competitive. from the coaches to the players they all looked like they didn't have a clue.

Reactions: 2 people
This x100.

Basically, what we are complaining about is a possible 48-21 game that got turned into a 59-14 game that was over midway through the second quarter. I mean, really?

Exactly . . . As if we'd feel so much better about a 3-4 score beat down vs. a 6 score beat down.

Did Eric Ainge not make a point on the radio that he felt that Butch Jones would not show his playbook because he felt uncertain of the game anyway and wanted to save his stuff for Florida

Who chose and "coached" that QB? Who called the plays?

Ah yes... Its Dooley's fault that the OL wasn't made the focal point of the game. It was his fault that Jones kept punting on 4th and short. It is certainly Dooley's fault that Neal is now so scared of getting chewed out that he won't even take a wide open cutback for a big gainer. It is DD's fault that UT kept kicking to their playmakers.

It's Dooley's fault that we have hardly any talent on our roster. Attrition and ****ty evaluating has made this team just as bad as 2010. Neal always had problems making decisions on where to go. It just happens that it's the opposite of bouncing out all the time. Bad coaching takes awhile to correct

Shall I go on? If I were complaining about a reasonably good showing... then you'd have a point. This was a historic loss and a VERY poor coaching job.

Oregon talent + speed vs. Tenn no talent = what did you expect! We are so terrible that we have to start freshmen AGAIN! If you didnt expect any bumps in the road, I'd be amazed.

Yes it does. When you hire someone to be better than the guy you fired then you expect them to perform better than the guy you fired. This wasn't better... by a long stretch.

Dooley's 2012 5-7 team has more talent than this one. We are a 5 win team, and to win 7 games is progress. The goal is getting into a bowl game. Lets see if he does it before we call for his head. You don't even know what kind of a job he'll do against the gators.

This is such an overused piece of BS. MUCH more often than not, the "right coach" makes an IMMEDIATE impact by BEING A BETTER COACH on the field. NOTHING done today suggests this staff is an upgrade. Maybe they'll pull it together.... but this is a huge strike against them.

How can this be a huge strike against them? It's one of the worst talented teams in UT history, and they played a team almost as good as Alabama. Also, this team is in the 3rd game of a new scheme, while Oregon has done the same for 6 years. Those impacts do not often make an extreme difference in one year. Once again, Our goal is to go to a bowl game this year.

No. Evaluate constantaly and cummulatively. This was pathetic. Give me one reason... just one... from the performance of this coaching staff today that should make me believe that. Just one. UT was out of the game by the end of the 1st qtr.

Receivers were open on offense, and there were some holes. The play calling was stale, and I hate punting. Butch has improved the discipline of this team. Even though Oregon beat the crap out of them, they didn't have last year's bad demeanor.

Yeah, that makes sense. A team without confidence needs to lose by the largest margin in 100 years on national tv.

If this team has real mental fortitude, they will learn from all their mistakes and do better. This is a teaching tool for our young team for what big boy football will be. This will tell our team that we need to be more prepared for our SEC opponents. This will make our players work harder this next week for Florida.

Maybe the coaching staff needed it... but the team did not. Now let's see who gets blamed and pays the price.

This team made just as many mistakes as the coaches. I'm glad the wake up call came early for all parties.

:)

I still can't figure out where this talent is that you're talking about other than maybe on the o-line. Our skill position play is crippling to anything that we try to do offensively and we're a disaster in coverage.

Both RB's are better than Poole. The OL is far better. Worley SHOULD be better than Simms. The DL is better by a wide margin than '10 and so are the LB's. DB is a push.

Great coaches get more than the sum of a roster's talent. Unless you are seriously suggesting that UT has about the same talent as Nicholl's State.... this wasn't even close to performing at the level of the roster's talent.

lets hear your take on the off. and Def.
how many different running plays did you see ? they wasn't fooling nobody.
Def. just like last year , out of position ,cant tackle and cant cover a shadow. Now your turn since you know so much

How many different running plays did Oregon run? They had the athletes; we didn't. We need more athletes.

There is nothing subjective about 59-14. That's very concrete.

Numbers aren't as concrete as you imply. You have a 5.12% LIKE rating and I have a 5.35% rating.

Numbers alone don't tell you anything. Your point is completely subjective, sorry.

Exactly . . . As if we'd feel so much better about a 3-4 score beat down vs. a 6 score beat down.

This was not a 6 score beat down. They stopped running their offense midway through the 3rd quarter (otherwise they could have easily scored 90). Also, our second TD was against their 3rd string defense.

Both RB's are better than Poole. The OL is far better. Worley SHOULD be better than Simms. The DL is better by a wide margin than '10 and so are the LB's. DB is a push.

Great coaches get more than the sum of a roster's talent. Unless you are seriously suggesting that UT has about the same talent as Nicholl's State.... this wasn't even close to performing at the level of the roster's talent.

1) Wrong. Neal is not better than Poole.

2) The OL is not far better. We can't get to the second level against WKU. This is the third line coach and they still haven't shown a dominant blocking game.

3) The DL is not better. Malik Jackson and Chris Walker are better than everyone the current line.

4) The LB's in 2010 were better.

5) Brian Randolph is good, but he's not Janzen Jackson.

6) Worley has never been an SEC QB.

VN Store

Back