BUTCH JONES said: This is unacceptable when you play football at the University of TN

Well he should learn from it. But it doesn't mean that he will fail and lose every game. But I am tired of arguing. People are so impatient and negative these days. Kind of sad.

Getting blown out four seasons in a row kind of does that to a man.

No. Not at all. This is not a "reaction" at all. I said before the game that this roster was good enough to not lose in a huge blow out. The biggest advantage UT had... The OL... was easily turned into a non-factor by Oregon's brand new HC.

Jones was outcoached.... very badly.

Not sure "brand new" is the right term.

Reactions: 1 person
Jones and staff laid an egg. Poor coaching. Poor execution.

I'll "believe" when he gives me reason. This was a HUGE step in the wrong direction. "Excitement" and cliches are all fine and dandy.... but I'd much rather have exceptional coaching. Today wasn't even average coaching.

How can you run any offense with a quarterback who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. On most of the pass calls before the game got too out of hand actually had open routes and opportunities for big plays. Worley can't hit much over 5 yards. Our defense wasn't great to begin with, but add in constant 3 and outs with a very fast team equals major trouble. You're acting like a jack-ass because you expect all of the mistakes of the Dooley era disappear in one snap. Life nor football does not work like that. Nick Saban lost to UL-Monroe in his first year. Evaluate at the end of the year like any reasonable person. You will see improvement, and it is all that matters at the end of the day. An ass-kicking may be what we exactly need.

Reactions: 3 people
Its not about wins. Everybody knows this is a 6-6 year at best. It about how they look and what they have or have not learned from last year's debacle.
This is a 7 or 8 win roster.... for the coach with the ability to bring UT back to the top. If the goal is being "average" and playing "to" the team's talent level... then 6-6 is what you are looking for out of Jones this year.

I was wary from the start of the year. After all, even Dooley could win the first two games. But I expected some fight. Some grit, some creative genius. some sense of desperation. I got nothing. The body had no pulse when it arrived in Oregon. Lifeless.

I didn't see a motivation or effort problem. I saw a gameplan problem. I saw all sorts of execution problems. The players showed up... then Oregon adjusted.

Anybody got the balls to say that this team looked any better than a Dooley-led team?

CBJ may be great (although he showed no fight or creativeness in a game where he needed it the most). But the players SUCK.

A good coach takes mediocre players and makes them good.

Anybody got the balls to say that this team looked any better than a Dooley-led team?

CBJ may be great (although he showed no fight or creativeness in a game where he needed it the most). But the players SUCK.

We don't have mediocre players...... We suck at all the wrong places!

This is a 7 or 8 win roster.... for the coach with the ability to bring UT back to the top. If the goal is being "average" and playing "to" the team's talent level... then 6-6 is what you are looking for out of Jones this year.

I didn't see a motivation or effort problem. I saw a gameplan problem. I saw all sorts of execution problems. The players showed up... then Oregon adjusted.

We have a 5 win team during the preseason. If Jones wins 7, then he's doing a damn good job. You're overrating our talent.

Reactions: 2 people

We talkin' Dooley with or without Bray, Rogers, Hunter, or Patterson?

Nothing.... you hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.... Just ignore the reality of what you just witnessed.

Sure. I am not saying to blindly follow but to guess how good of a coach we have after one loss is absolutely asinine.

It really amazes me that some people on here are blaming Butch for this loss. We was playing the #2 team in the country on the road for lords sake!!! Some of you guys act like was lost to Buffalo or something. I mean c'mon..

Reactions: 4 people
We have a 5 win team during the preseason. If Jones wins 7, then he's doing a damn good job. You're overrating our talent.

Please lay off me. I am NOT being negative. But being very realistic and coming down of the CBJ high that I was on, we may not beat Mizzou or Auburn. I am now thinking five wins. God, I hope we beat Vandy.

This is not an 8 win team. BS. But we will agree to disagree. Lines are good. Skill players are not.

Well there is one exception and that's when you play Oregon. Their offense is just unstoppable, especially against mediocre defenses.
They are very stoppable, they get stopped each and every year and have never brought home a NC. LSU destroyed them in 2011, 13 points in 3 quarters was "unstoppable." Just because we didn't or couldn't stop them today and totally sucked, does not equate to every other team they'll face this year. Really tired of people drinking the Duck koolaid. Would you trade our football trophy case with theirs? Hell 2 the naw! They're good, they are NOT unstoppable.

It really amazes me that some people on here are blaming Butch for this loss. We was playing the #2 team in the county on the road for lords sake!!! Some of you guys act like was lost to Buffalo or something. I mean c'mon..

Nobody is blaming him for the loss. We are blaming him for seeing that things were going horribly wrong and doing absolutely nothing different. Nothing creative. Nothing even mildly aggressive. Nothing even desperate. Nothing. Stubborn. 3 and out 3 and out 3 and out 3 and out 3 and out.

Please lay off me. I am NOT being negative. But being very realistic and coming down of the CBJ high that I was on, we may not beat Mizzou or Auburn. I am now thinking five wins. God, I hope we beat Vandy.

Auburn actually looks a lot worse than we do. I think we'll improve a lot during the season, but we need to understand that it is a process and processes take a lot of time. I think we'll make a bowl, and I am fine with that.

I wish he had come out and said, "It's not always bad to be in last place. Here's some things we can focus on: One, we tried hard. And two, we're still dear friends!"

How can you run any offense with a quarterback who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. On most of the pass calls before the game got too out of hand actually had open routes and opportunities for big plays. Worley can't hit much over 5 yards. Our defense wasn't great to begin with, but add in constant 3 and outs with a very fast team equals major trouble.
Who chose and "coached" that QB? Who called the plays?

You're acting like a jack-ass because you expect all of the mistakes of the Dooley era disappear in one snap.
Ah yes... Its Dooley's fault that the OL wasn't made the focal point of the game. It was his fault that Jones kept punting on 4th and short. It is certainly Dooley's fault that Neal is now so scared of getting chewed out that he won't even take a wide open cutback for a big gainer. It is DD's fault that UT kept kicking to their playmakers.

Shall I go on? If I were complaining about a reasonably good showing... then you'd have a point. This was a historic loss and a VERY poor coaching job.

Life nor football does not work like that.
Yes it does. When you hire someone to be better than the guy you fired then you expect them to perform better than the guy you fired. This wasn't better... by a long stretch.
Nick Saban lost to UL-Monroe in his first year.
This is such an overused piece of BS. MUCH more often than not, the "right coach" makes an IMMEDIATE impact by BEING A BETTER COACH on the field. NOTHING done today suggests this staff is an upgrade. Maybe they'll pull it together.... but this is a huge strike against them.

Evaluate at the end of the year like any reasonable person.
No. Evaluate constantaly and cummulatively. This was pathetic.
You will see improvement, and it is all that matters at the end of the day.
Give me one reason... just one... from the performance of this coaching staff today that should make me believe that. Just one. UT was out of the game by the end of the 1st qtr.
An ass-kicking may be what we exactly need.

Yeah, that makes sense. A team without confidence needs to lose by the largest margin in 100 years on national tv.

Maybe the coaching staff needed it... but the team did not. Now let's see who gets blamed and pays the price.

The players are better and have more depth than the ones Dooley had in '10. Don't believe it? Don't attack me. Just go to utsports.com and check out the rosters and starters for each game that season.

VN Store

Back