Clay Travis political commentator

I disagree. It’d lead to all sorts of ratings and publicity. They need publicity

It was the most watched WNBA finals in 20 years. No woman has had a signature shoe for over a decade and we got 3 rn with the biggest star in the sport still in college. The sport is growing and they don't need to risk it to be a sideshow act for 1 paycheck. Nobody would give them credit for beating a HS team. Anybody pitching this as a good idea for the women is lying or dumb as a rock.

I tend to think that a really good boys team from HS like that one mentioned earlier from Texas, would beat any WNBA team. I understand that we’ll never know

The WNBA wouldn’t stand a chance.

Riggs threw that match with King to settle gambling debts.
You are absolutely right about Bobby Riggs. Even over the hill, he beat Margaret Court, who was the best women’s player at that time, soundly just a few months earlier

Okay

They still have a ways to go

Reactions: volfanhill
I go to a WNBA game every year with my daughter, and I'll tell you nothing will quite warm your heart like seeing 2 old lesbian partners enjoying the good life. One has got her hand in a brace. The other one's got a bad knee. They got their jerseys on. They're hollering at the refs. Think about all the **** they went through to get to this point where they have a community they are comfortable with in public. 30 years ago, they didn't have this at all. Can't imagine what things were like for them. The WNBA is bringing them so much joy, and Clay Travis wants to **** all over them because why? He gets a hard-on trolling and dividing? Because WNBA players want more money (same goes for 99% of the population)? Because somebody out there says women should be allowed to have tough jobs? JFC, I do not understand people that are convinced by arguments in hateful packaging. It's a disease. Is the flies with honey vs. vinegar saying complete BS?

I go to a WNBA game every year with my daughter, and I'll tell you nothing will quite warm your heart like seeing 2 old lesbian partners enjoying the good life. One has got her hand in a brace. The other one's got a bad knee. They got their jerseys on. They're hollering at the refs. Think about all the **** they went through to get to this point where they have a community they are comfortable with in public. 30 years ago, they didn't have this at all. Can't imagine what things were like for them. The WNBA is bringing them so much joy, and Clay Travis wants to **** all over them because why? He gets a hard-on trolling and dividing? Because somebody out there says women should be allowed to have tough jobs? JFC, I do not understand people that are convinced by arguments in hateful packaging. It's a disease. Is the flies with honey vs. vinegar saying complete BS?
Sounds like some of the female fans at a Lady Vols game.

Reactions: n_huffhines
It was the most watched WNBA finals in 20 years. No woman has had a signature shoe for over a decade and we got 3 rn with the biggest star in the sport still in college. The sport is growing and they don't need to risk it to be a sideshow act for 1 paycheck. Nobody would give them credit for beating a HS team. Anybody pitching this as a good idea for the women is lying or dumb as a rock.
they got less than a million views. and apparently it was double the number of viewers in 2022. I wouldn't count on that growth as any type of predictor.

similarly, until the shoes sell, its pretty meaningless. it could just be a PR move to appease certain vocal members of society.

a million dollars would be more than their Top 6 players make combined for a whole year. If you want them to get paid more, this is their best chance. Assuming CT actually backs the bet.

Clay Travis isn't a dunce. He's a jerk, but he's not a dunce. He was a liberal nashville radio sports guy (who really didnt know much about sports) who figured out a shtick to appeal to a certain demographic and monetize it.

Frankly he is a great representation of his generation (people born in 1970s and went to high school in 1980s). He perfectly fits the Michael J. Fox generation. I imagine most of his audience is males from that generation.

they got less than a million views. and apparently it was double the number of viewers in 2022. I wouldn't count on that growth as any type of predictor.

similarly, until the shoes sell, its pretty meaningless. it could just be a PR move to appease certain vocal members of society.

a million dollars would be more than their Top 6 players make combined for a whole year. If you want them to get paid more, this is their best chance. Assuming CT actually backs the bet.

The amount of finals viewers may have doubled in large part due to gambling. The league saw double the action this season, and that growth probably isn't going away. It's likely going the other way.

There are something like 800k shows on TV, and only 50 of them get 1m viewers, and looks like only about 70 get 700k+ viewers like the WNBA finals did. > 700k viewers is a pretty good achievement in this era of TV.

Like Nash pointed out, this was the most-watched regular season in 20 years, too. It grew by 21%. Attendance per game was a 5-year high, and that's in the first year of an expanded schedule.

Frankly he is a great representation of his generation (people born in 1970s and went to high school in 1980s). He perfectly fits the Michael J. Fox generation. I imagine most of his audience is males from that generation.

He was born in '79 so he didn't hit HS until the 90's.

I go to a WNBA game every year with my daughter, and I'll tell you nothing will quite warm your heart like seeing 2 old lesbian partners enjoying the good life. One has got her hand in a brace. The other one's got a bad knee. They got their jerseys on. They're hollering at the refs. Think about all the **** they went through to get to this point where they have a community they are comfortable with in public. 30 years ago, they didn't have this at all. Can't imagine what things were like for them. The WNBA is bringing them so much joy, and Clay Travis wants to **** all over them because why? He gets a hard-on trolling and dividing? Because WNBA players want more money (same goes for 99% of the population)? Because somebody out there says women should be allowed to have tough jobs? JFC, I do not understand people that are convinced by arguments in hateful packaging. It's a disease. Is the flies with honey vs. vinegar saying complete BS?

What theee hailllll is going on here?

Clay Travis isn't a dunce. He's a jerk, but he's not a dunce. He was a liberal nashville radio sports guy (who really didnt know much about sports) who figured out a shtick to appeal to a certain demographic and monetize it.
He's a pretty shrewd businessman and skilled at knowing what a particular audience wants to hear.

Travis's career arc is pretty interesting. Dave Portnoy many years ago wanted him to run what would have effectively been a subsidiary of Barstool that would cater to southerners, talk about SEC football, etc. Clay turned him down, and it led to a falling out between them. Clay then starts Outkick, which initially was trying to be a Barstool ripoff. I think as time went on he found that Barstool had cornered the market on that kind of content, and soon discovered that there was huge market for politicizing sports from the conservative end of the political spectrum. He now has parlayed that into talking about conservative politics exclusively, particularly during and post-Covid.

He's a pretty shrewd businessman and skilled at knowing what a particular audience wants to hear.

Travis's career arc is pretty interesting. Dave Portnoy many years ago wanted him to run what would have effectively been a subsidiary of Barstool that would cater to southerners, talk about SEC football, etc. Clay turned him down, and it led to a falling out between them. Clay then starts Outkick, which initially was trying to be a Barstool ripoff. I think as time went on he found that Barstool had cornered the market on that kind of content, and soon discovered that there was huge market for politicizing sports from the conservative end of the political spectrum. He now has parlayed that into talking about conservative politics exclusively, particularly during and post-Covid.

Clay particularly gets criticized by men who likes to drive small sedans with plenty of stickers on the back bumper and windshield.

Their best chance is probably Caitlin Clark going deep in the tournament again and becoming a star as a pro, it is definitely not getting clowned for letting HS kids play them too close or beat them

Clay particularly gets criticized by men who likes to drive small sedans with plenty of stickers on the back bumper and windshield.
He gets criticized by pretty much everyone other than 20-year-old frat bros and older people who still act like them

Their best chance is probably Caitlin Clark going deep in the tournament again and becoming a star as a pro, it is definitely not getting clowned for letting HS kids play them too close or beat them

NCAAW needs to rig it so LSU and Iowa rematch in finals.

The amount of finals viewers may have doubled in large part due to gambling. The league saw double the action this season, and that growth probably isn't going away. It's likely going the other way.

There are something like 800k shows on TV, and only 50 of them get 1m viewers, and looks like only about 70 get 700k+ viewers like the WNBA finals did. > 700k viewers is a pretty good achievement in this era of TV.

Like Nash pointed out, this was the most-watched regular season in 20 years, too. It grew by 21%. Attendance per game was a 5-year high, and that's in the first year of an expanded schedule.
thats a terrible standard. "only" 50 shows? thats way more shows than the typical household is going to watch. how long does it take to go down your list to get to your 50th viewership option?

the finals were played on a Wednesday night in mid October, hardly a busy time for sports which always draws the most eyes. Even with the dearth of options on a Wednesday this is what I am seeing:

I count 46 "shows" that drew more eyes than the WNBA finals.
AEW wrestling got more views

our local sports radio guys didn't even know the game was being played and he apparently is a friend with one of women who played in the game. and the game was played on ESPN. Its not like it was on a channel that no one watches.

you really think the WNBA is going to experience anywhere close to the same growth it saw this year with the expanded season and gambling? Gambling is just gambling, people aren't tuning in to watch the WNBA, they are tuning in to see if they win a bet. if the WNBA's plan for success is to rely on outside factors that they have no control over to gain eyes I don't see that success lasting long.

Reactions: BreatheUT
thats a terrible standard. "only" 50 shows? thats way more shows than the typical household is going to watch. how long does it take to go down your list to get to your 50th viewership option?

the finals were played on a Wednesday night in mid October, hardly a busy time for sports which always draws the most eyes. Even with the dearth of options on a Wednesday this is what I am seeing:

I count 46 "shows" that drew more eyes than the WNBA finals.
AEW wrestling got more views

our local sports radio guys didn't even know the game was being played and he apparently is a friend with one of women who played in the game. and the game was played on ESPN. Its not like it was on a channel that no one watches.

you really think the WNBA is going to experience anywhere close to the same growth it saw this year with the expanded season and gambling? Gambling is just gambling, people aren't tuning in to watch the WNBA, they are tuning in to see if they win a bet. if the WNBA's plan for success is to rely on outside factors that they have no control over to gain eyes I don't see that success lasting long.

Wtf to the first few parts I did read.

Being in the top .00001% of shows isn't noteworthy enough for you. OK.

Baseball playoffs, MLS playoffs, CFB, NFL, F1, and NHL regular season are all going on mid-October. As a huge fan, I don't even have enough time to watch all the NFL I want to watch, and I'm at least mildly interested in all those sports except NHL. I didn't watch any MNF last night, and I miss most of TNF every week. I personally don't have time for WNBA playoffs in October. To me, "hardly a busy time for sports" couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashVol11
For those of you who seemingly get their rocks off from seeing younger athletes outclassing older athletes born differently than they are... where's the clamouring over middle schoolers playing a special olympics team?

Or is it just about hating women? I'm genuinely curious.

Reactions: NashVol11

VN Store

Back