Coach Heupel is a very strong Christian

Good God, that's not an absolute truth. I know before/after game team prayers have been practiced by a number of championship teams, at all levels. It's a fact. Players can join in, but aren't required to do it. That's been going on forever. I've experienced it first hand
Good for you. We're allowing Voodoo and Islam, ok with you?

“I’ll give it to some people that they may feel their intentions are innocent, but they don’t get to define what the impact is for those of us who aren’t Christian,” said Joshua Lesser, the Rabbi Emeritus of Congregation Bet Haverim of Atlanta, a Jewish house of worship. “And the fact that they’re not sensitive, or willing to listen to what that impact is means that they actually are turning away from hearing the fullness of their students."

Here's a religious advocate with common sense...

Football Should Be Separated from Religions and Politics
Ok. That's his educated opinion. It has merit, but not nearly as much as a championship team actually doing it. Religious views weren't espoused in any detrimental way. It was only about a prayer before and after a competition. Nobody complained because it wasn't an issue. Social media has been far too influential as to religion and political ideology.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Ok. That's his educated opinion. It has merit, but not nearly as much as a championship team actually doing it. Religious views weren't espoused in any detrimental way. It was only about a prayer before and after a competition. Nobody complained because it wasn't an issue. Social media has been far too influential as to religion and political ideology.
Has it? Free speech is anti-religion.

I was unaware.

Football: Should Christians Be Involved?

The Word of God says NO!!
"What is God's mind on the subject of football as a sport, or as entertainment? Does He even really care? I believe He does care, for a number of reasons which I will outline below, and I base my belief, not upon my own personal likes or dislikes, but upon what I see in the Word of God."

In another thread, Bill Battle was quoted as saying he primarily looked for "moral, Christian young men" to recruit. I know this to be fact as he recruited my cousin who led his HS's Campus For Christ cult. I know this for a fact as Battle told us during one of the annual "HC to frat houses" PR campaign.

My cousin was, at best, a second-rate player and, as he admitted, "a hypocrite for playing a dangerous, concussion-producing, sport that does not elevate my faith"

Btw, how did that work out for Battle once Dickey's recruits ran dry?

lol

Heupel knows.

There should be no prayers in public buildings or at events involving public institutions.
In another thread, Bill Battle was quoted as saying he primarily looked for "moral, Christian young men" to recruit. I know this to be fact as he recruited my cousin who led his HS's Campus For Christ cult. I know this for a fact as Battle told us during one of the annual "HC to frat houses" PR campaign.

My cousin was, at best, a second-rate player and, as he admitted, "a hypocrite for playing a dangerous, concussion-producing, sport that does not elevate my faith"

Btw, how did that work out for Battle once Dickey's recruits ran dry?

lol

Heupel knows.
are you trying to make an argument that playing the sport of football is a sin?

Reactions: Pennheel
Has it? Free speech is anti-religion.

I was unaware.
It's not an either/or issue. I'm only conveying facts about team sports. You're too reliant on a confirmation of your predisposed bias, just like the wing nuts in this forum

Last edited:
Whether some here like it or not, heres a couple facts:

1. The majority of UT players come from TN, GA, NC, SC etc.

2. Those are "Bible Belt" states and have a high % of Christian folks

3. Lots of these parents are NOT sending their son to a place for 4 years where God is not honored and the Coach is not a Christian. Period.

Its an absolute deal breaker for many parents. Coach Hype, Coach Garner, etc are out front about being good Christian leaders who shape young men.

Coach Barnes is a devout Christian who never uses profanity. Ever. The Volquest guys were actually talking about it this week. Barnes is very hard on his players in practice, and will bless them out when they mess up...but as many practices as those 4 guys have attended none of them have ever heard him cuss or insult a player. Dick Vitale said when he was battling cancer, Coach Barnes sent him a prayer and a devotion every single morning for months. Prayed for him the whole time. That might not mean anything to some folks here...and thats OK. But to a lot of people whether fans, players, or parents that means a lot. Thank God we live in a country where people can worship freely. If Coaches or players want to lead a prayer they can. Anyone who does not want to participate doesnt have to. Thats a big part of why this country was settled and founded in the 1st place.

It's not an either/or issue. I'm only conveying facts about team sports. You're too reliant on a confirmation of your predisposed bias, just like the wing nuts in this forum
Aw, now I get it. This isn't about religion in the locker room, etc it's about your "right" to drag the Christian pulpit into the locker room. Tell me, what does Jesus and Trump have in common?

Answer: Both acted like felons.

VN Store

Back