Culinary, Arts, Thread.

@Behr, do you read fiction for fun? There’s a series of police detective novels set in Sicily written by Italian actor/director/ playwright Andrea Camilleri featuring Commissario (Commissioner) Montalbano, 40-some-odd books so far. Lots of sardonic social and political commentary accompany (and flesh out) the plots.

Montalbano is a lover of food and great cooking, eating two huge meals daily at his favorite small restaurant, either of which would put me in a brief coma. I learned about arancini and pasta ‘ncasciata and every fish and shellfish pulled from the Mediterranean from the books.

There was also a hugely popular TV series in Italy based on the books that is available on Amazon and obscure networks.

Anyway, if you like the idea of a police commissioner who puts murder investigations on hold in order to celebrate a meal of well-cooked Sicilian food, you might want to check them out.

You want the truth, or just leave it at that?

Reactions: VolNExile
My experience with bleu cheese in restaurants is that there tends to be too much applied to any given dish, a very American failing.

Instead of being a part of the dish, it really dominates things. I ask for it on the side, as for me, a little goes an awfully long way.

Apropos of nothing at all, I like cooking with fontina. It doesn’t seem to climb up on the table and yell at me the way that many other cheeses do.

I was thinking about restaurants. But, I get it. You're picky too. Lol.

Buncha food heathens up in here.
What's wrong with'um Mal? I mean outside of liver and a few "exotic" items like Haggis, foie gras and monkey brains, which I'm probably not alone in, I can eat about anything.

Haha, I am pretty blessed in that area. I have no allergies or bad reactions of any kind from any foods or liquids. Thank you Lord. Except alcohol and that's different.

What's wrong with'um Mal? I mean outside of liver and a few "exotic" items like Haggis, foie gras and monkey brains, which I'm probably not alone in, I can eat about anything.

Haha, I am pretty blessed in that area. I have no allergies or bad reactions of any kind from any foods or liquids. Thank you Lord. Except alcohol and that's different.

Foie Gras is one of my favorite dishes.

Reactions: Orangeredblooded
I think I've said this before, but I have a hard time cooking lobster. I've cooked dozens over my career and it never got easier.

He was my buddy. It was just me and him for most of his life and an important part of mine. I miss the little guy. But anywho, he used to crack me up chasing birds shadows, thats how he earned the name chit for brains. Lol.

I had my daisy (Saint Bernard), every day after I got off work she would want to play hide and seek. Damn dog was good at it. I would laugh until I cried. Such a personality she had. She would even help
Me do my yard work and planting. I miss her to this day and it’s been since 2007.

I like all cheeses, goat being least favorite. I guess my all around favorites is gorganzola, a really good bleu cheese or parmigiana reggiano. You can do almost anything with those and the flavors are just so strong.
One of the reasons I like to use Gorgonzola in my dressing. It just seems to have a tad sweeter taste to it.

He was my buddy. It was just me and him for most of his life and an important part of mine. I miss the little guy. But anywho, he used to crack me up chasing birds shadows, thats how he earned the name chit for brains. Lol.
My GR was fascinated by cattle. We’d be heading down I-40, and all I’d have to do is say “Cows?”, and she’d wake up, struggle to her feet, and go whuffing out the car window to check out the cows.

When she was young and wanted to jump on me, I would knee her in the chest and make her back up. Eventually she learned to jump up and down three feet away, just up in the air, and we called it dancing. “Dance, Cinnamon!”

She was a great dog.

Last edited:
How are you doing it?

Well, I meant killing them. I use the pithing method to kill them right before I cook them. It's said to be the most humane way and it keeps them from tensing up and the meat getting tough. But I don't think it makes any difference except its more humane. I can't stand for them to scream and wrestle around in a pot of boiling water. Hate it.

Well, I meant killing them. I use the pithing method to kill them right before I cook them. It's said to be the most humane way and it keeps them from tensing up and the meat getting tough. But I don't think it makes any difference except its more humane. I can't stand for them to scream and wrestle around in a pot of boiling water. Hate it.
I’ve heard it, same way with blue crabs for me. Glad I never cared for any of it, even though it sucked because of living in Louisiana, Mississippi and Jamaica among other places. My family gave me heck, but did like curried lobster only because I like curry.

I did like the paragraph in Joy of Cooking that veal used to be called “city chicken” in the days before refrigeration, when you could keep veal fresh much longer than chicken.

I’ve cooked veal, and you have to be on your toes to keep it from toughening up.

VN Store

Back