Dalton Knecht....

New York City play grounds molded BK. Ray Mears style of play held him back imo. As much as I hate to say it I do agree with you on Hanging the jersey.
Mears changed his whole offensive philosophy because of King. It was full throttle all the way. Points per game without the 3-ball were incredible. There was no holding back in that offensive scheme.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Told myself to stop digging this particular hole, but before I put the shovel down, I gotta chime in on this. While the NIL and portal have changed the sport and that gave us the chance to get Knecht, I just don't believe a 1 year guy from the portal should have a jersey hanging in TBA. Same for a kid who is one and done. I think that particular "ring of honor" should be reserved for guys who complete a 4 year career at UT and earn a degree. Yeah, I know with free agency, that's an antiquated and quaint notion, but for me, a 1 year player getting that honor kinda cheapens it. I have no vote or say, but if I did, a 1 year player would not have a jersey retired and hanging in my arena.
If he earns it, hang it.

He's a better driver than Klay
He's amazing in the air adjusting to the D, that one I thought he was going to slam but even though he was a foot above rim he softly laid it off the backboard. Ron Slay asked him what he's thinking when he's going in like that. He answered just trying to get it in the hole, I think his instincts are just unreal and he never preset on exactly what he is going to do, he just reacts.

My dad said the Vols took quick shots when they had King and Grunfeld. I don’t think Mears held him back at all.
My dad said the Vols took quick shots when they had King and Grunfeld. I don’t think Mears held him back at all.
I have been big Vol follower but for me the most fun basketball time was during the “Ernie and Bernie Show”
If you want to see one of the most exciting games I’ve ever seen and want to appreciate Ernie & Bernie and John Ward, go to YouTube and watch the TN/KY 2-15-75 game. It just does not get any better!
One of best basketball games I’ve ever watched. I even watch it couple times a year now,

Talk of DK & jersey retirement is a little premature, I couldn’t care how long he played here. If they get to a final 4, then yes that alone is worthy because without him this year that would not be possible.
It isn’t about where you started, it’s about how you finished.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Duncan Robinson is a fair comparison

DK is a better all around offensive player, and is improving on defense, so maybe not the sieve that Robinson has been.

His age and possibly his defense are the only things that could keep him from being a lottery pick at this point, but if he lands in the right spot he could be a really valuable role player in the NBA.

In 5 true road games this season, Dalton Knecht is now averaging:

31.4ppg (vs 16.6 at home)
5.4reb (vs 4.0 at home)
62% FG (vs 46% at home)
47% 3FG (vs 33% at home)

His road vs home numbers are some of the craziest I have ever seen. I know his home averages will pickup now that he is in his groove but I was a little shocked at the gap between his splits. I would much rather him be his dominant self on the road as that is what is needed come tournament time. The guy is unreal in how he can takeover a game in a matter of minutes.

In 5 true road games this season, Dalton Knecht is now averaging:

31.4ppg (vs 16.6 at home)
5.4reb (vs 4.0 at home)
62% FG (vs 46% at home)
47% 3FG (vs 33% at home)

His road vs home numbers are some of the craziest I have ever seen. I know his home averages will pickup now that he is in his groove but I was a little shocked at the gap between his splits. I would much rather him be his dominant self on the road as that is what is needed come tournament time. The guy is unreal in how he can takeover a game in a matter of minutes.
Big reason his home is so much lower is bc the first few buy games he was getting his feet wet and obviously not playing as much in blowouts. Also the injury in the UNC game was still clearly bugging him and called for some extended rest in the late December buy games. All those being at home greatly drags his totals down. I suspect his SEC home numbers will be comparable to the road.

I have been big Vol follower but for me the most fun basketball time was during the “Ernie and Bernie Show”
If you want to see one of the most exciting games I’ve ever seen and want to appreciate Ernie & Bernie and John Ward, go to YouTube and watch the TN/KY 2-15-75 game. It just does not get any better!
One of best basketball games I’ve ever watched. I even watch it couple times a year now,
Here is as Trivia Q for some older Vol Nation Fans: Does anyone remember being in Stokely in either 76 or 77 when UT hosted UK and the entire 12,000 UT fans all held up their Daily Beacons (like we were reading them) when KY players were announced?? We gave them the silent treatment. Had to be there, but it was clever and awesome!!

New York City play grounds molded BK. Ray Mears style of play held him back imo. As much as I hate to say it I do agree with you on Hanging the jersey.
Knecht is 5-1 in the SEC. Not worthy of hanging his socks yet.

I don't agree with retiring the jersey but would agree with it hanging in the rafters if he brings us an NCAAT championship.

I can't think of any good comparisons for DK. I don't know that I've seen as high level a white player that has all of the different aspects of his game. Barry, Majerle, Klay, Ainge....none of those guys had everything DK brings.

Larry Legend had a complete game but he was a little bigger, slower and less athletic. Doncic obviously not a great comparison except for how skilled they both are. I grew up in the 80's so the NBA has had predominantly players for my lifetime but I can't think of anyone white that was a potential lottery or borderline draft pick who had the the size, skills, athleticism, complete game overall and aggressive mentality of DK.

The only minor knock on him is his propensity to dribble into traffic and get stripped. It's improving but he still does it occasionally.

I don't agree with retiring the jersey but would agree with it hanging in the rafters if he brings us an NCAAT championship.

I can't think of any good comparisons for DK. I don't know that I've seen as high level a white player that has all of the different aspects of his game. Barry, Majerle, Klay, Ainge....none of those guys had everything DK brings.

Larry Legend had a complete game but he was a little bigger, slower and less athletic. Doncic obviously not a great comparison except for how skilled they both are. I grew up in the 80's so the NBA has had predominantly players for my lifetime but I can't think of anyone white that was a potential lottery or borderline draft pick who had the the size, skills, athleticism, complete game overall and aggressive mentality of DK.

The only minor knock on him is his propensity to dribble into traffic and get stripped. It's improving but he still does it occasionally.

IMO, #53 is the only NUMBER that needs to be retired. But there are 25 or more JERSEYS that could be hanging in the rafters for other players.

VN Store

Back