Dalton Knecht....

Duncan Robinson is a fair comparison

I don’t see that one. The vast majority of Robinson’s shots come from behind the 3 pt line. Less than half of DK’s come from 3 pt range.

I see a lot of Desmond Bane in DK. DK is quite a bit better than Bane was in college, but DK’s game resembles what Bane is doing for the Grizzlies.

Reactions: Chunkyvol12
Got to give Gainey props, he is getting better and proving he can consistently give us good quality minutes. I also like how Estrella played early, I would love to see him to continue to improve as the season progresses. GBO
Agree 100%! Gainey is likely going to be a huge part of post season success. So happy to see him climb out of the deep slumb he endured.

Estrella is continuing to show well in his limited minutes. If Awaka can’t quit fouling excessively, Estrella might be more effective

I keep saying that Dalton Knecht is bound to cool off soon, and he keeps just hitting the throttle. This guy is unreal.
I think the only way he has an off-night now is if he stops driving and settles for 3’s and deep jumpers and they’re just not falling that night. As long as keeps being aggressive at the rim he’s going to get 15-20 between layups and FT’s.

Postgame, DK went on and on about how much he loves Tennessee and even made the bold statement that he wished he had played his entire career at Tennessee because he loves it so much.

That's special. He didn't have to go that in-depth. Really awesome to see a kid like him have so much success and truly be appreciative of the opportunity he's been given.

While I can see it from that perspective, I tend to look at a player being developed and grown throughout his career. If Bernard King had been at UT for 3 years then went to UK and had that one incredible season with all those accolades, where should he be recognized? Our program helped grow and mold him into the player he became, but he left and UK got the benefit of his growth and development for that one special season. Hang the jersey at Rupp? Maybe King becomes that great player no matter where he goes to school, but to be what he became was due, in no small part, to his time at UT with those mates and coaches. Guess I just see a jersey being retired at TBA as being a special thing reserved for special players having a special season in a career. I suppose we could go grab an elite player from the portal every season and when they manage to meet the criteria, we could add some more jerseys to TBA that way? Don't get me wrong. I'm not against Knecht and I'm thrilled we grabbed him for a year and hey, I won't complain if he helps us break through in March. I'll give him all the credit and praise he deserves, but to retire a jersey for a 1 year rental we got from the NIL/portal just doesn't feel right to me.
New York City play grounds molded BK. Ray Mears style of play held him back imo. As much as I hate to say it I do agree with you on Hanging the jersey.

I know this may be farfetched but if DK could score his first 40 pt game this season at Rupp to secure the win, that would be bananas.

Honestly, I think he could make a run at Tony White's record if he comes out in a game and hits an early 3 pointer against a team that likes to run up and down the court, doesn't defend that well AND if Barnes let him take that many shots. It just seems with Knecht that when he sees the ball goes through the hoop, he starts to string them together in bunches. Guy is just a walking bucket from anywhere on the court. Heck he scored 32 today (and it looked easy), missed 4 FTs and there must have been about 6 occasions I was yelling at the TV for the other players to pass him the ball, but they didn't and passed to someone else who missed a shot.

Agree 100%! Gainey is likely going to be a huge part of post season success. So happy to see him climb out of the deep slumb he endured.

Estrella is continuing to show well in his limited minutes. If Awaka can’t quit fouling excessively, Estrella might be more effective
It might be time for him to take over the back up center spot. Barnes can't even play Awaka when he wants to because of fouls.

What's crazy, is we may have the most talented player in the nation in both football and basketball. Ron Slay was comparing him to Ron Howard, but to me he reminds of Biff from Back to the Future.
I can see the Ron Howard comparison.

New York City play grounds molded BK. Ray Mears style of play held him back imo. As much as I hate to say it I do agree with you on Hanging the jersey.

Ray Mears changed his style of play because he had Ernie and Bernie. There’s no way Mears held Bernard back. The term “Star System” was even used when the Ernie and Bernie Show was on the stage at UT.

I really don’t think his defense lately has been as bad as some suggest. He’s made significant improvement, IMO, from Game 1. In November, guys were blowing by him with ease and it was obvious he was a liability but we played him anyway.

He’s been better lately and I think he’s going to continue to improve on that end as the year progresses.
He doesn’t anticipate very well and is poor at rotating to help side

Postgame, DK went on and on about how much he loves Tennessee and even made the bold statement that he wished he had played his entire career at Tennessee because he loves it so much.

That's special. He didn't have to go that in-depth. Really awesome to see a kid like him have so much success and truly be appreciative of the opportunity he's been given.

And we have fans who never played for or went to UT arguing about whether he is a VFL.....lol. I am a die hard fan that did not play at or go to UT (multiple parents, aunts, uncles, etc. did and grandfather was a nearly 50 year employee of UT Hospital/Medical Center).

I don't claim to be any more or less a fan but trying to say DK can't be a VFL because of only playing 1 year here is insane. Especially since he is having one of the best years of any player in UT BB history.

VN Store

Back