Debate thread

Just think, a dozen years ago we had Obama vs Romney.

From the Democratic perspective, would you not walk on broken glass to have Romney as the fallback if you don't win the upcoming election?

From the Republican perspective, would you not walk on broken glass to have Obama as the fallback if you don't win the upcoming election?

Sure all you guys didn’t watch it. Sure man

I caught a few clips, looked like the same ole Orange Man and same ole Dementia Joe. I caught a few minutes of broadcast after, where they were all freaking out about Corn Pops.

Its all planned out, they are just moving what was already decided. Not sure what everyone is surprised about.

They'll have to convince the Wizard of Oz to give it up, or in a few weeks they'll to come up with an even more sinister plan or reverse and say Corn Pops is fit again.

From the Democratic perspective, would you not walk on broken glass to have Romney as the fallback if you don't win the upcoming election?

From the Republican perspective, would you not walk on broken glass to have Obama as the fallback if you don't win the upcoming election?

As a Libertarian I wouldn't want either - both were all onboard with expanding the power of the Federal government. Biden is so weak if he wins I don't see a lot of his agenda getting implemented. Same for Trump. Both suck but Obama and Romney would both do more long term damage IMHO

It wasn't just a European Dark Age as I explained and I talked about Arabs in my post, not sure you read it right. (I cited Byzantines, Arabs, Norse, and Franks as potential exceptions).

Southeast Asia really didn't have a strong Civilization until 800 to 1000 AD. By 1000 AD, we were out of the Dark Ages for most part.

I will say this though, there was technology from Ancient Rome at its height ~100 AD that wasn't even seen again, anywhere in the world, until the 1800s. There is a reason, universally, historians call the era the Dark Ages.
I'd learned that the dark ages ended with the Renaissance so about 1500. The Khmers, Sriwijaya et al were doing pretty well before then.
Good point about how long it took to get back to the Roman's level on some things.

From a policy standpoint, Obama and Biden are pretty hand-in-hand. Obviously Obama is very coherent and a great communicator (from a communication standpoint, he might be the strongest President we had in my life time). Obama was great at image/communication but I didn't like some of his policies.

No and no.

Unfortunately, Trump isn't articulate at all and explaining full time employment jobs for minorities are being reduced due to the extremely high amount of illegal border crossings over the last 3.5 years. Those entry level jobs may no longer be available to US citizens at their desired pay rate.

Instead he uses the phrase black jobs and hispanic jobs. This wasn't a statement with racial bias as the MSM is now portraying it.
Wasn't he replying to Biden's comments about how much he'd done for black people economically?

I'd learned that the dark ages ended with the Renaissance so about 1500. The Khmers, Sriwijaya et al were doing pretty well before then.
Good point about how long it took to get back to the Roman's level on some things.

1500s would be "in theory" just Europe but even that is wrong as most of the "Renaissance" ideas were already very much taking shape in 1100 and 1200. Heck, we had Caravels and international trade by the early 1400s and gunpower was prevalent.

Play some EU4. It starts in 1444 :).

Khmers came about around 1000 A.D.

I don't consider 1000-1400 AD to be the Dark Ages. They are the High Medieval Period. The Dark Age disasters primarily lasted from 400 AD to about 700 AD or so with most the problems being in the first 100 years which is the reference here to our position. If China, Russia, EU, USA, Japan, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, Brazil, India, etc. all collapse at once, I would consider that a Dark Age. All of these nations listed are having major issues whether it be demographics, civil unrest, national debt, declining economies, etc.

Reactions: EasternVol
It's bizarre to watch a Presidential debate in a race that's a dead heat?
Yep - when the "debate" is between Biden and Trump.
EVERYONE knew exactly what type of clown show it would be, and that there would be no actual debate.

From a policy standpoint, Obama and Biden are pretty hand-in-hand. Obviously Obama is very coherent and a great communicator (from a communication standpoint, he might be the strongest President we had in my life time). Obama was great at image/communication but I didn't like some of his policies.

Of course they had similar/same policies. The same people were pulling both of their strings.

Of course they had similar/same policies. The same people were pulling both of their strings.

There are certain policies and certain things that can't be indicated for most to be put into a position to be elected for President. Trump is the odd one that bucked the trend (or bucked the powers that be).

As a Libertarian I wouldn't want either - both were all onboard with expanding the power of the Federal government. Biden is so weak if he wins I don't see a lot of his agenda getting implemented. Same for Trump. Both suck but Obama and Romney would both do more long term damage IMHO

Congressional demographics would be a separate matter. Obama + Democratic control would be worse to your point from a Libertarian perspective. In a perfect world, the control of the House/Senate/White House would be split by the Libertarians/Democrats/Republicans.

However, from purely an Presidential perspective, Obama or Romney would be vastly better than either Biden or Trump. Both are quite sharp individuals. Obama was probably the best head of state we have ever had.

I shudder to think about Biden getting the 3AM phone call. Who exactly is making that decision? It is clearly is not him.

Congressional demographics would be a separate matter. Obama + Democratic control would be worse to your point from a Libertarian perspective. In a perfect world, the control of the House/Senate/White House would be split by the Libertarians/Democrats/Republicans.

However, from purely an Presidential perspective, Obama or Romney would be vastly better than either Biden or Trump. Both are quite sharp individuals. Obama was probably the best head of state we have ever had.

I shudder to think about Biden getting the 3AM phone call. Who exactly is making that decision? It is clearly is not him.
Stopped reading after Obama

In the Great Presidential Death Golf Match (trademark pending) there could be video of Trump taking 110 shots to make it around and he'd insist it be written down as a 72 and that "That course was in horrible shape. Very unfair. Many people are saying that if the course were in decent shape and fair I would have set the record for the lowest score ever."
Who cares?

VN Store

Back