Don't Sleep on Worley

None of our QB's are going to sling it like Bray did but they don't have to -- Aaron Murray doesn't sling it like Bray either nor do countless other dang fine QBs.

Worley had the misfortune of coming into games directly after Bray and that would make anyone look like they lacked magic regardless of the fact that Bray's production and the absolute beauty of the way he threw the ball didn't translate to wins. Worley also had to come into games with receivers and other players who were often 2nd string, he had to deal with the fact that everyone in the SEC knew we couldn't run the ball effectively, he had to come into games without having the reps with receivers that put QBs and WRs in sync with one another, he had to deal with WRs who didn't always know the routes and weren't used to him as QB, and he had to play for the worst coach we've ever had.

So yes, Worley has been judged too early and far too harshly by many fans. He may or may not wind up being the starter but I don't think we have any real clue how good or bad he is.

Oh I think we'll have very good idea how good or bad he is this year. If he doesn't win the starting job this fall, he's never going to have it unless it's by default due to injuries. He has absolutely no one in front of him so this is as good a chance as he's ever going to get. If he doesn't take advantage he'll either need to transfer to an FCS school or be content with being a back up his entire college career.

I've pulled for Worley ever since he stepped on campus. However I have a feeling he will not end up being "the guy." He's not really done anything wrong per say but ever since I've been watching UT football, when the right QB comes along they have always passed a certain eye test and it's always been fairly immediate when I see them. Peyton had this, Clausen had this, Ainge had this, Bray even had it. I remember the first time Bray stepped on the field, I knew he was the guy! I've seen enough of Worely to believe that he will not be the QB to get us to where we want to be. He will be a serviceable back up but that is all. Either Dobbs or Ferguson will end up being our guy I think.
I wish I had your eye. That's a bad eye. That eye spotted all that talent. But that eye didn't see anything in Worley. Damn that eye!

Oh I think we'll have very good idea how good or bad he is this year. If he doesn't win the starting job this fall, he's never going to have it unless it's by default due to injuries. He has absolutely no one in front of him so this is as good a chance as he's ever going to get. If he doesn't take advantage he'll either need to transfer to an FCS school or be content with being a back up his entire college career.

This year, I agree that we'll have a good idea (that's one of the reasons I said he may or may not wind up the starter). However, most are basing their opinions on before this year.

Gatorade National POY (PManning, ESmith, MBarkley).
Senior Year: 428/589 72.7% 5313 yds (#2 nationally) 354.2 ypg 64 td 11 int 129 rat.
15-0 and State Champ (MVP)
Team scored in 40s 12/15 times (34, 35, 36)
Offers from UF, FSU, LSU, Notre Dame and Stanford
6'4" 213 (up from 196 as Fr)
Runs better than Manning
Butch has never had a QB with this much potential
Don't throw JW under the bus

I've said for a while now and I'm still saying it. If Worley is provided with the right coach and system he could be the best QB at UT since Manning and I still believe that. Unbelievable talent coming out of HS. I watched him destroy Clowneys team in a game. In Worley I trust for the next 2 yrs! With all the talent around him he will only improve.

:dance2:

Tennesseeduke

Wasnt it Jamarcus Russell that could throw it 50 yards from his knees? Velocity is only 1/3 of the puzzle. The other 2/3 are accuracy and being able to read a defense. Having one is not much good without having at least 1 of the other 2.
Yes it was Jamarcus. He had the second strongest arm I've ever seen. You have to include leadership, and poise as piece 4 and 5. Those two are almost important as the first 3.
Volnation might learn why I like Fergy and Peterman tonight.

I wish I had your eye. That's a bad eye. That eye spotted all that talent. But that eye didn't see anything in Worley. Damn that eye!

I didn't see it either. I am probably terrible at evaluating talent, but I don't know about Worley. I think he could be a poor man's Dilfer? Decent Arm, Decent accuracy, he's a potential leader, and has meh poise. I don't know about his decision making. He has 1 TD and 5 picks so far. It's not looking good.

I didn't see it either. I am probably terrible at evaluating talent, but I don't know about Worley. I think he could be a poor man's Dilfer? Decent Arm, Decent accuracy, he's a potential leader, and has meh poise. I don't know about his decision making. He has 1 TD and 5 picks so far. It's not looking good.
This is still not great, but I can think of 2 more TD's if Da'Rick had caught the bomb that floated down perfectly into his hands against So. Carolina in 2011, and if Hunter had stuck out his hands and caught a perfectly thrown ball that bounced off his face mask against Vandy in 2012. Also, one fewer int if Patterson had run the proper route against Vandy in 2012 . Still not great, but 3 TD's and 4 int's sound better than 1 and 5. His receivers did not help him out much.

Id rather start a freshman. At least then we would have a 3 year starter provided he is decent. I just dont really see Worley as the guy but I could be wrong.

Well I saw Peterman at the Golf Range this evening, so mystery solved, Worley is the starter. :)
Seriously he was at the range in his football cleats:lolabove:

Reactions: 1 person
Id rather start a freshman. At least then we would have a 3 year starter provided he is decent. I just dont really see Worley as the guy but I could be wrong.
If Worley proves to be the guy, he would be a 2 year starter.

Yes it was Jamarcus. He had the second strongest arm I've ever seen. You have to include leadership, and poise as piece 4 and 5. Those two are almost important as the first 3.
Volnation might learn why I like Fergy and Peterman tonight.

It will be interesting to see where Worley is in those 5 as the season progresses. Lets rate him as of right now.
1.Arm Strength-8/10
2.Accuracy-6/10
3.Reading D-?
4.Poise-?
5.Leadership-7/10

This is still not great, but I can think of 2 more TD's if Da'Rick had caught the bomb that floated down perfectly into his hands against So. Carolina in 2011, and if Hunter had stuck out his hands and caught a perfectly thrown ball that bounced off his face mask against Vandy in 2012. Also, one fewer int if Patterson had run the proper route against Vandy in 2012 . Still not great, but 3 TD's and 4 int's sound better than 1 and 5. His receivers did not help him out much.

They're going to help him out even less this year. Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesn't change what happened. I don't imagine Worley being that bad again, but I'm looking out my backdoor for Peterman if I was him.

They're going to help him out even less this year. Shoulda, coulda, woulda doesn't change what happened. I don't imagine Worley being that bad again, but I'm looking out my backdoor for Peterman if I was him.
I realize that all qb's throw interceptions that aren't their fault. Worley has very little experience if you think about it. Unfortunately, he has more than the rest of the qb's put together.

I don't think that we should be overly optimistic this coming year, but these guys may click, and do better than we think. I really don't care who plays as long as he gives us the best chance to succeed. I am sure that Worley is aware of all the qb's in his rearview mirror.

I realize that all qb's throw interceptions that aren't their fault. Worley has very little experience if you think about it. Unfortunately, he has more than the rest of the qb's put together.

I don't think that we should be overly optimistic this coming year, but these guys may click, and do better than we think. I really don't care who plays as long as he gives us the best chance to succeed. I am sure that Worley is aware of all the qb's in his rearview mirror.

It's football, the ball is a friggin oblong! I don't think past experiencr matters to the coaches. I wouldn't use it as a case as why Worley will start. It hurts him instead. Worley may have experience, but Peterman doesn't have more picks than TD's. Football could, and always will surprise us. Worley can win the Heisman for all I know!

It will be interesting to see where Worley is in those 5 as the season progresses. Lets rate him as of right now.
1.Arm Strength-8/10
2.Accuracy-6/10
3.Reading D-?
4.Poise-?
5.Leadership-7/10
I would give him a better grade in the accuracy dept. He really throws short and medium passes with good touch, and has always had a high completion percentage, at least in high school. He will adapt to the speed of the game with time. I believe that given enough reps with his receivers, that he will do okay.

I say do a Ferguson and Dobbs combo like Ainge and Shaeffer(sp?). And yes i know Dobbs doesnt run a lot but he has the ability to. Might work out for scheming against Oregons D.

Reactions: 1 person
1.Arm Strength-8/10
2.Accuracy-6/10
3.Reading D-?
4.Poise-?
5.Leadership-7/10

1. 6/10
2. 7.5/10
3. F+
4. D
5. 7/10

#1 is not likely to improve, but Chad Pennington was worse than Worley. Arm strength could not even matter if 2-5 get better. The grades on three and four reflect upon last year's QB coach. This is based off of the spring game.

1. 6/10
2. 7.5/10
3. F+
4. D
5. 7/10

#1 is not likely to improve, but Chad Pennington was worse than Worley. Arm strength could not even matter if 2-5 get better. The grades on three and four reflect upon last year's QB coach. This is based off of the spring game.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 97

Peterman's won't look much different. My scale is tough on average players.
If 0 is terrible and 10 is Hall of Famer, Worley is about a 4 right now. This is not considering progress made since spring game. What do you want an explanation on?

Anybody remember the Bama (sorry :-( to say) QB named Jay Barker? That kid did not have a killer arm but managed that team to a NC and a ton of wins iirc. Bray was a physical freak from a throwing perpective.
I expect JW to have much better mobility, hopefully better decision making and patience to work within the system. If he has "don't get us beat" success and lean on our strong OL, experienced runners, and hopefully wide open new system that gets playmakers in space, then he can be very successful.
Believe it or not, his predicament is a bit similar to Tee Martin. Not the same depth and experience at WR. But our OL is probably better, RBs are pretty good, TE is about as questionable.
Tee was a scrub player too, except his were most always in winning efforts. He was a Junior when he became the heir apparent. CPF adjusted to O scheme to flow with Tee's skills and it worked. Our O was no juggernaut that year, but they didn't get us beat.
If Justin Worley will play to his skills and be disciplined within CBJs system, then he can keep us in most every game. He seems like a really smart kid, and I hope he has a really successful year. I expect CBJ (like any smart coach) to play to the strengths of our O roster. Starts w OL, solid experienced runners, a lot of good athletes for use in open space, and a young but talented system QB.
Now for that defense ... oh, i digress. :unsure:

Wasnt it Jamarcus Russell that could throw it 50 yards from his knees? Velocity is only 1/3 of the puzzle. The other 2/3 are accuracy and being able to read a defense. Having one is not much good without having at least 1 of the other 2.

Playing QB is 90% mental, and the other half physical.

-- Yogi Berra

I wish I had enthusiasm for his ability but I have reservations. Hope I am wrong but hasn't impressed and I do question his arm. In Butch I trust so I go with what he decides.

VN Store

Back