Don't Sleep on Worley

After 2 years, did any of you think Jordan McRae would become a potential lottery pick?
These teenagers click at different speeds.
The hope is that UT won't have to rely on its QBs to win games by themselves, which is what Bray thought, and where PManning (and the rest of the team) thought he was in those UF games.
Think of those steady game managers who've won a lot of games at UT:
Jeff Francis
Andy Kelley
CClausen

Worley starts the year with the best OLine UT has had in years, and an offensive scheme that puts people in space. As good a situation as he could have hoped for this time last year, when it was possible that UT would win 7-8, Dooley would stay, and Bray would too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
After 2 years, did any of you think Jordan McRae would become a potential lottery pick?
These teenagers click at different speeds.
The hope is that UT won't have to rely on its QBs to win games by themselves, which is what Bray thought, and where PManning (and the rest of the team) thought he was in those UF games.
Think of those steady game managers who've won a lot of games at UT:
Jeff Francis
Andy Kelley
CClausen

Worley starts the year with the best OLine UT has had in years, and an offensive scheme that puts people in space. As good a situation as he could have hoped for this time last year, when it was possible that UT would win 7-8, Dooley would stay, and Bray would too.

Those three had talent around them. Besides the oline, where's the talent?

Why does everyone feel the need to defend Worley like he is their kid or something? If he wins the job, fine but he isnt even close to having the position locked at this point. We have 4 qbs that had a lot of HS accolades and I hope the best for whoever wins the job

Peterman was Florida POY

Dobbs has high IQ and played well

Ferguson lost 2 games in 4 yrs and played senior yr with broken thumb

Whoever wins, wins......you dont have talk them up every 5 seconds

I think if we can get a very solid ground game going with this no huddle and Butch said we would run it quite a bit then it will take off huge amounts of pressure for Worley. He would not have to be the star that everyone expects one of the QBs to be. He just needs to be consistent and reliable when we choose to throw, since we will try to run it mostly and use the short and medium yard throws but I hope he can be effective on third down.

Worley committed to UT, recruited for us his senior year of HS, stayed true to his commitment, and has done his time in a situation that has been in flux. I have been waiting for them to hand him the ball and give him a vote of confidence.

But but but when he did play he looked horrible. And he's a Dooley recruit, and coached by him for way to long to have any chance to be any good. Just sayin...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Who cares if he was recruited by Dooley! He is a solid QB and will compete for the starting position with three other players who are also good QBs. I look forward to the competition may the best player win. Butch will play the ones who provide the best chance of winning.

If Simms wasnt such a crumb - Doolander wouldnt have had to burn Worleys redshirt - even so he still shouldnt have burned it - he could have used Nash Nance - the season was a fail anyway that year.

There's plenty of talent, it's just not experienced talent (talking about receivers).

And I actually think Lane and Neal will be a pleasant surprise this year.

Before or after Azzani spent all spring moaning about having no playmakers? I don't see enough talent at any position, but Oline to compete.

I get confused by conflicting posts about Dobbs.

Is he a running qb or a pocket qb?

I would give him a better grade in the accuracy dept. He really throws short and medium passes with good touch, and has always had a high completion percentage, at least in high school. He will adapt to the speed of the game with time. I believe that given enough reps with his receivers, that he will do okay.

From my perspective, touch is an area where Worley is severely lacking. In short playing time, and in the O&W game, I've seen him throwing balls in the dirt and throwing short, difficult-to-catch lasers. He stares down receivers and hangs on to the ball too long. JMO people, but I'll say it again, I think this is Matt Simms 2.0.

1. 6/10
2. 7.5/10
3. F+
4. D
5. 7/10

#1 is not likely to improve, but Chad Pennington was worse than Worley. Arm strength could not even matter if 2-5 get better. The grades on three and four reflect upon last year's QB coach. This is based off of the spring game.

How would you grade Bray based on the 2011 spring game when he completed 5 of 30 passes?

Those three had talent around them. Besides the oline, where's the talent?

Remember, majors and fulmer ran a straight pro set I formation with some veer mixed in when the QB had wheels (Streater, Robinson), which works only if you have more talent than your opponent. We didn't win always, and lost some games cos we didn't have a plan B. we have enough talent to run a plan B offense -- spread, read option, west coast (see Boise State, Houston) -- and have the oline to run a straight pro set I.

Last edited:
Did you see the televised game where they had a Juggs gun on the field measuring the QB's ball speed? Bray was clocking 55 mph, and Worley 52. The announcer said that NFL QB's averaged a low 50's. I see no reason that the announcer would lie. What would be in it for him?

My bad , I misread your post. I focused on the last part of your post and read Worley is as good or better than Ainge or Clausen's, when you clearly said Worley's (arm) is as good or better .......I also saw that game

How would you grade Bray based on the 2011 spring game when he completed 5 of 30 passes?

Based on that alone, I would grade him poorly, but with Bray, we had other sources to draw our opinions from (2010 Spring Game, Freshman Season, etc.). I remember seeing him Freshman year vs. Georgia and South Carolina thinking we had something special.

From two spring games, and a handful of in-game action, I've seen no evidence to suggest Worley will be a successful QB. He may very well surprise me and play lights out, but the evidence I see since he stepped on campus suggest otherwise.

Reactions: 2 people
My bad , I misread your post. I focused on the last part of your post and read Worley is as good or better than Ainge or Clausen's, when you clearly said Worley's (arm) is as good or better .......I also saw that game
That was someone else's post. I have never mentioned Clausen's or Ainge's arm strength. Worley's arm strength is adequate. It looks weak compared to Bray, but most do.

Based on that alone, I would grade him poorly, but with Bray, we had other sources to draw our opinions from (2010 Spring Game, Freshman Season, etc.). I remember seeing him Freshman year vs. Georgia and South Carolina thinking we had something special.

From two spring games, and a handful of in-game action, I've seen no evidence to suggest Worley will be a successful QB. He may very well surprise me and play lights out, but the evidence I see since he stepped on campus suggest otherwise.
Bray never got any better after his freshman year.

I disagree completely. Everyone who hates on Worley base their opinions on being thrown into hostile games against top 10 teams and defenses as a true freshman....a true freshman who thought he wouldn't see the field that year no less. Those same people will not give him credit for his game against MTSU as a freshman, or the fact that he looked better than Bray last year against Vandy. Let's talk about the South Carolina game, again top 10, Worley's freshman year. We had a chance to win that game, with Worley at QB. But because we couldn't run the ball AT ALL, they had Worley in shotgun from the 2. The 2! Whats the toughest area on the field to pass in? The red zone. Why? Because all those players are smashed into a much smaller area. So lets have our true freshman go shotgun against a great defense from the TWO. He throws an int, which people like to point out how many he has but they dont want to think about the poor boy's situations. And anybody that bases opinions on spring games just hasn't been payin attention for very many years. The spring game argument isn't even worth addressing. Particularly with new coaches and completely different system.

Sure, he's had his bad moments. Any freshman would being thrown into the fire. But I have seen glimpses of a really good QB. Not the other way around.

Reactions: 4 people
I disagree completely. Everyone who hates on Worley base their opinions on being thrown into hostile games against top 10 teams and defenses as a true freshman....a true freshman who thought he wouldn't see the field that year no less. Those same people will not give him credit for his game against MTSU as a freshman, or the fact that he looked better than Bray last year against Vandy. Let's talk about the South Carolina game, again top 10, Worley's freshman year. We had a chance to win that game, with Worley at QB. But because we couldn't run the ball AT ALL, they had Worley in shotgun from the 2. The 2! Whats the toughest area on the field to pass in? The red zone. Why? Because all those players are smashed into a much smaller area. So lets have our true freshman go shotgun against a great defense from the TWO. He throws an int, which people like to point out how many he has but they dont want to think about the poor boy's situations. And anybody that bases opinions on spring games just hasn't been payin attention for very many years. The spring game argument isn't even worth addressing. Particularly with new coaches and completely different system.

Sure, he's had his bad moments. Any freshman would being thrown into the fire. But I have seen glimpses of a really good QB. Not the other way around.

You do make some good points, but I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. Hopefully the coaches make the right call one way or another.

VN Store

Back