Electric Vehicles

"In another legal move that will likely go a step further in making Tesla’s electric vehicle charging infrastructure the de facto system in the United States, Texas has approved a plan ....
At stake is disbursement of part of $5 billion in funding set by National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure (NEVI) program; Texas is the largest recipient of the grant."

Texas mandates new EV charging stations use the Tesla NACS plug (yahoo.com)
8/20/23
Yep some of the most oblivious energy administrators in the country. Just this afternoon … 😂

Public Utility Commission of Texas calls for ‘voluntary power conservation’

Reactions: AM64
Yep some of the most oblivious energy administrators in the country. Just this afternoon … 😂

Public Utility Commission of Texas calls for ‘voluntary power conservation’

Future incoming EV transportation aside (e.g. if every Texas EV were quarantined tomorrow)

what basic changes would you make to TX's current system (to rectify usage/need and elect availability during these warm summer periods there) ??

E.G. how can you / we encourage TX's administrators to understand that better way?

How the Tesla Model 2 Could Take Tesla Mainstream (msn.com)

$25k rumored.
250mile range (Superchargers can top it off in 15min)
more compact than M3, and 30% lighter

Looks affordable for families (where some will want a standard gasoline vehic and 2nd or 3rd, run-about EV -- e.g. 100 mile daily ranges)

Could be a game-changer for all competition.
DCFC charging? So we’re back to ignoring the costs of public level 3 charging in order to convince people BEVs make sense? Pick a lane.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Future incoming EV transportation aside (e.g. if every Texas EV were quarantined tomorrow)

what basic changes would you make to TX's current system (to rectify usage/need and elect availability during these warm summer periods there) ??
It’s already in work. And it’s already over budget. More fossil fuel natural gas power plants. So about that green energy BS to accommodate the expected increased demand? 😂

A plan for Texas to build its own power plants could cost $7 billion more than expected

Reactions: AM64
It’s already in work. And it’s already over budget. More fossil fuel natural gas power plants. So about that green energy BS to accommodate the expected increased demand? 😂

A plan for Texas to build its own power plants could cost $7 billion more than expected

As for the "?" -- that's beyond my scope at this time.

Sounds like there is a big (heat) storm on the way to TX and administrators are proactively asking communities to pull together and conserve energy in every possible, safe way.

I suppose that many EV drivers and pool owners will cooperate ("Set pool pumps to run early morning or overnight instead of peak hours").

From what I found, ERCOT is not under emergency conditions.

As for the "?" -- that's beyond my scope at this time.

Sounds like there is a big (heat) storm on the way to TX and administrators are proactively asking communities to pull together and conserve energy in every possible, safe way.

I suppose that many EV drivers and pool owners will cooperate ("Set pool pumps to run early morning or overnight instead of peak hours").

From what I found, ERCOT is not under emergency conditions.
ERCOT is not under emergency conditions. And no this is just summer in TX. It’s a hot summer but this isn’t the hottest by far. That was 1980. That’s life in TX.

And yes if ERCOT starts forcing power conserving EV charging will likely be near that top of the cut list. And I’d guess public level 3 chargers would only be available in off peak usage times.

TX cannot reconcile their own cognitive dissonance when it comes the power grid and adding capacity.

I have a theory -- it's just theory still -- that you are simply over-speculating on the possible hypothetical negative --

"Time is the key to understanding this problem, Rothman says, because although the natural carbon cycle balances itself, it does so over exceedingly long timescales. For example, consider one part of the natural carbon cycle: how fossil fuels are created and released. Hydrothermal vents on the seafloor provide the carbon that—via heat, pressure, and other forces below the planet’s surface—is pressed into fossil fuels such as oil and gas. Over thousands or millions of years, the creeping movement of our planet’s tectonic plates brings those fossil fuels back to the Earth’s surface and slowly emits the CO2 into the air. But mining those fossil fuels and then burning them in cars or factories shortcuts nature’s method. “That full [natural] process would eventually bring it all up—but very slowly,” Rothman says. “What we're doing with taking oil and gas out of the ground is essentially speeding up the natural process.”
How much carbon dioxide does the Earth naturally absorb? | MIT Climate Portal

^^ that process is expressly describing / speaking about "surface" emission, VS the consideration of the potential abundant sub-surface, ever-producing deposits (think about it).

My second theory (based on certain written evidence and faith), is that ^ said process does not require "millions" of years, and well fewer than "thousands" (more like, continually every day at various locations around the globe).

^^ Sure, you can doubt each theory (but I'm offering it for thought in context of your claim).
For someone with a PhD in geophysics he sure explains the source of fossil fuels very poorly and how they get to the earth's surface incorrectly, or maybe the author transcribed his comments wrong. If the premise is that far off the conclusion is useless.

I really can't believe this is such a crazy debate. I'm a pretty smart guy with a decent amount of common sense, and I settled on my position in like one hour of research and a test drive.

EVs aren't for everyone. They have significant limitations, primarily in long range travel. They have huge upsides, as well, including fuel/ maintenance savings, performance, and software features. Much of the "dangers" and drawbacks (like weight) are easily debunked with a little digging.
For those who want one, have at it and have fun. My issue is with those who push them as an environmental panacea and those who push mandatory usage.

For someone with a PhD in geophysics he sure explains the source of fossil fuels very poorly and how they get to the earth's surface incorrectly, or maybe the author transcribed his comments wrong. If the premise is that far off the conclusion is useless.
It is a shiite article written to support a specific agenda. It isn’t a policy neutral (or narrative agnostic) academic paper. I don’t think the author could warp the professor’s words that much.

Reactions: EasternVol

How would you (as briefly) explain the source ?

I'm looking at this from a perspective that the "fossil" fuels are not so limited.

How would you (as briefly) explain the source ?

I'm looking at this from a perspective that the "fossil" fuels are not so limited.

Fossil fuels are remains of organisms that have been subjected to heat and pressure, like by having thousand of feet of sediments on top of them for millions of years. We get them to the surface by mining and drilling.

Fossil fuels are remains of organisms that have been subjected to heat and pressure, like by having thousand of feet of sediments on top of them for millions of years. We get them to the surface by mining and drilling.
There was a time when there was large supply close to the surface and more readily accessible. But I’ve never heard the angle that humans were responsible for the rapid reabsorbtion of hydrocarbons from decaying plant and animal life before. Not stated in that fashion anyway but I did get a good chuckle out of the premise.

I guess my take is it’s a play to acknowledge that the earth is a largely closed system with its own cycles and we’re impacting the rate of those cycles. I would think the logical assumption would be for us to make sure we can survive the cycles then 🤷‍♂️ That likely didn’t fit the preconceived notion of the paper however.

I do think we should be good stewards of our environment though. I’m more worried about trash solids and plastics choking us out. We are a nasty nasty species.

Reactions: EasternVol

OK, that's what I figured your perspective is (that's why I'm speaking in terms of "fossil" fuels and why I provided the video of sample-type thermal vents).

The thermal vents activity suggests a different source (as that PhD describes -- whether or not he's describing it precisely 100% accurately).

There was a time when there was large supply close to the surface and more readily accessible. But I’ve never heard the angle that humans were responsible for the rapid reabsorbtion of hydrocarbons from decaying plant and animal life before. Not stated in that fashion anyway but I did get a good chuckle out of the premise.

I guess my take is it’s a play to acknowledge that the earth is a largely closed system with its own cycles and we’re impacting the rate of those cycles. I would think the logical assumption would be for us to make sure we can survive the cycles then 🤷‍♂️ That likely didn’t fit the preconceived notion of the paper however.

I do think we should be good stewards of our environment though. I’m more worried about trash solids and plastics choking us out. We are a nasty nasty species.
Plastics is an awful problem, especially in the 3rd world. I went to a beach not too long ago and it was perfect. A few days later the monsoon shifted and there were about 5 pieces of plastic per meter on the beach. Two days later it was 10 or more so it was time to head out. If there's that much on the beach there's a huge multiple of it in the sea.

OK, that's what I figured your perspective is (that's why I'm speaking in terms of "fossil" fuels and why I provided the video of sample-type thermal vents).

The thermal vents activity suggests a different source (as that PhD describes -- whether or not he's describing it precisely 100% accurately).
I think he's describing it with about 5% accuracy.

Reactions: NorthDallas40

The Permian Basin --

looking at it surface map/area, how many decayed organisms (approx weight) would be required to fill that basin with the resulting liquid/gas ?

is it possible that "fossil" is a misnomer ?

The Permian Basin --

looking at it surface map/area, how many decayed organisms (approx weight) would be required to fill that basin with the resulting liquid/gas ?

is it possible that "fossil" is a misnomer ?
A lot, and they accumulated over very long periods of time. Fossil as in remains of an organism isn't a misnomer.

A lot, and they accumulated over very long periods of time. Fossil as in remains of an organism isn't a misnomer.

"fossil" (the previously living organisms), as in the source of the liquid/gas, is considered by some as a misnomer (myself, and seemingly the PhD referenced ^, included).

VN Store

Back