Electric Vehicles

Tennessee's Gas Tax (tn.gov)

2023-State-Gas-Tax-Rates-fv.png (2084×1736) (taxfoundation.org)

per gallon

TX $0.20 (?)
TN $0.274
KY $0.301 (?)

TN's new EV fee will be $200 (looks like $0.014 per mile at 14,000miles)
$0.014 per mile? And literally right after you listed the fuel taxes per gallon?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Now you’re just randomly doing math to try and look like your gibberish makes sense.

And there is an $0.184 per gallon of federal taxes you need to account for Ronald. (Edit: before you start making up math again this actually helps your case so you don’t need to twist too much. You’re welcome)

Plus the state reg fee goes up to a total of $274 in 2026.

I can’t wait to see your made up math on this new info 😂

Last edited:
$0.014 per mile? And literally right after you listed the fuel taxes per gallon?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Now you’re just randomly doing math to try and look like your gibberish makes sense.

And there is an $0.184 per gallon of federal taxes you need to account for Ronald. (Edit: before you start making up math again this actually helps your case so you don’t need to twist too much. You’re welcome)

Plus the state reg fee goes up to a total of $274 in 2026.

I can’t wait to see your made up math on this new info 😂

A possible comparison, of Tenn fuel and ev taxes, at 14,000 miles per year:

a. EV drivers: $200 (flat fee)

ba. Gas drivers in TN, pay TN tax: $142 (14,000miles / 27mpg (estimated avg) = 518 gal x 0.274/gal TN tax)
bb. Gas drivers in TN, pay Fed tax: $95 (14,000miles / 27mpg = 518 gal x 0.184/gal Fed tax).

TN ev fee, at 14k miles: $200 (apparently, there a no Fed taxes applied to TN EV drivers, yet (?))
TN total fuel taxes, at 14k miles: $142 (TN) +95 (Fed) = $237

I'm not sure when this shortfall will be recovered, but it seems that you'd be happy you could be satisfied if Fed charged TN ev drivers the $95 equiv ($200 + $95 = $295).

That would be $295 (EV, TN + Fed taxes) VS $237 (fuel, TN + Fed taxes).

Check the numbers.

Tennessee's Gas Tax (tn.gov)

2023-State-Gas-Tax-Rates-fv.png (2084×1736) (taxfoundation.org)

per gallon

TX $0.20 (?)
TN $0.274
KY $0.301 (?)

TN's new EV fee will be $200 (looks like $0.014 per mile at 14,000miles)

A possible comparison, of Tenn fuel and ev taxes, at 14,000 miles per year:

a. EV drivers: $200 (flat fee)

ba. Gas drivers in TN, pay TN tax: $142 (14,000miles / 27mpg (estimated avg) = 518 gal x 0.274/gal TN tax)
bb. Gas drivers in TN, pay Fed tax: $95 (14,000miles / 27mpg = 518 gal x 0.184/gal Fed tax).

TN ev fee, at 14k miles: $200 (apparently, there a no Fed taxes applied to TN EV drivers, yet (?))
TN total fuel taxes, at 14k miles: $142 (TN) +95 (Fed) = $237

I'm not sure when this shortfall will be recovered, but it seems that you'd be happy you could be satisfied if Fed charged TN ev drivers the $95 equiv ($200 + $95 = $295).

That would be $295 (EV, TN + Fed taxes) VS $237 (fuel, TN + Fed taxes).

Check the numbers.
I did check your numbers. That is why I was laughing. As usual they were shiite. Let’s take a 20 mpg passenger vehicle. That’s now $0.0135. And that number is just as meaningless as yours best as I can tell but hey at least it actually properly scales with a fuel tax per gallon.

Y'all are crazy. Ease back and drive what you like!

Agreed. ( I'm pretty sure those numbers are closely accurate, for us in Tenn. Looks like you'll be paying $200 TN fee beginning in 2024 ; and if when Fed taxes are applied, I'd expect you'll pay perhaps $95 additional, which best I can tell is roughly equivalent to the Fed fuel tax for someone driving 14k / yr (I'm using 14k as that's the rough mileage for our ev) ).

We drove 144 miles roundtrip yesterday -- Elect cost was $3.50 (at our local Elect $rate) -- at $3.50 / gal for gasoline at 27 mpg (equiv to another ice machine in the fam), that little trip would have been $18.70 at the gas pump.

Last edited:
Y'all are crazy. Ease back and drive what you like!
Son and I test drove a Tesla couple years ago. He’s still living at home making big bucks working for Dad driving his mom’s Outback so he could afford whatever he wants. Thought he might go EV but following dad’s footsteps he wants a 911. My old 73 aubergine 911T was my pride and joy for 20 years, should have never sold her. Probably buying my wife a Macan soon. I’ve got two old F150s and an old Tiguan but I want a new Porsche too, just need to hire someone to run my warehouse. I spend more time on my forklifts, still waiting for @Orangeburst to race me. I might make him an offer he can’t refuse.

Son and I test drove a Tesla couple years ago. He’s still living at home making big bucks working for Dad driving his mom’s Outback so he could afford whatever he wants. Thought he might go EV but following dad’s footsteps he wants a 911. My old 73 aubergine 911T was my pride and joy for 20 years, should have never sold her. Probably buying my wife a Macan soon. I’ve got two old F150s and an old Tiguan but I want a new Porsche too, just need to hire someone to run my warehouse. I spend more time on my forklifts, still waiting for @Orangeburst to race me. I might make him an offer he can’t refuse.
Back in the day I wanted a 928 but I’ve always been a fan of the 911 it’s timeless. Even today it’s their sexist car I think. At this point if I ever owned a Porsche it’d be a 911

Back in the day I wanted a 928 but I’ve always been a fan of the 911 it’s timeless. Even today it’s their sexist car I think. At this point if I ever owned a Porsche it’d be a 911
I’m afraid if I go test drive one at the dealer I’d end up owning it. But now living at my warehouse and working 7 days a week and the business going gangbusters, I’m putting more miles on my forklifts than anything else. Need time to enjoy a nice car if I’m going to have one.

911s have always been my dream car. I'm in the "pay off everything and live debt-free" camp right now, though. 1.5 years left on the house!

As far as cars go, this is my dream car.

View attachment 572684

Returning to the perspective of OP (cost), we're talking about expensive vs less expensive. It's a handsome vehic, but VERY few folk can afford that ^, while many can afford the avg cost of EV ($54k).

Retrofit that body-style with a reliable SS battery, and the cost might come down to something affordable.

There’s never been a more appropriate time for an EV thread. I’ll start

View attachment 437848

I'm sure they will pass some of their good fortune on to consumers.

this probably started here, among our own favored leaders --

October 20, 2021 at 7:00 p.m
NASHVILLE - Tennessee lawmakers on Wednesday approved and sent to Gov. Bill Lee his nearly $900 million incentive and infrastructure legislation for Ford Motor Co.'s planned $5.6 billion electric truck and battery complex in rural West Tennessee.

"This single-largest investment in state history marks a tremendous win for rural Tennessee and will strengthen our workforce for generations," Lee said in a statement. "The special session has given Tennesseans clear visibility into the project, and I thank the General Assembly for their legislative action."

"Today I write to ask that as Tennessee lawmakers consider legislation approving a reported $500 million in incentives for the placement of a Ford-SK Innovation electric vehicle and battery facility in Western Tennessee, you take action to ensure that state incentives do not subsidize coercive unionism that undermines the worker freedom that Tennessee's Right to Work law stands for," the letter said.
Tennessee lawmakers OK $900 million incentive package for Ford plant | Chattanooga Times Free Press

VN Store

Back