Electric Vehicles

Is the charger and installation included in the price of the car?

Nope. Charger from tesla store on Amazon is $480. Installation just under $1,000. So if I stay electric after this, that will be there already. And if it goes kaput, the house has that on the list of accessories.

Lease ordered a Model Y. Charger to be installed at my house next week. No word yet on delivery of vehicle. I'll post some photos once it is here.

Kept the 19 inch Gemini wheels but will replace the wheel covers to mimic the dark induction wheels, which look much better.
Enjoy it LG.

Reactions: AM64
Nope. Charger from tesla store on Amazon is $480. Installation just under $1,000. So if I stay electric after this, that will be there already. And if it goes kaput, the house has that on the list of accessories.
Thanks for helping to tax our already burdened power grid with your fake so called green vehicle. Don’t forget to wear your mask and gloves inside your little woke vehicle.

That’s not unreasonable. I have the knowledge to do the install myself but I still have to buy the charger, breaker, and 50A cable. So I’d only save about $800 doing it myself.

And yeah you absolutely have to have the level 2 charger.

That’s not unreasonable. I have the knowledge to do the install myself but I still have to buy the charger, breaker, and 50A cable. So I’d only save about $800 doing it myself.

And yeah you absolutely have to have the level 2 charger.
Any incoming wiring size concerns from the street? I mean most people only have HVAC and a dryer for 230/1 and adding this at same time might be pushing it.

The charger install is really easy if you have any reasonable electrical skill. My jump off the garage panel cost me about $200 in materials (mostly in the 6g wire) and about 1.5 h with a friend.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Any incoming wiring size concerns from the street? I mean most people only have HVAC and a dryer for 230/1 and adding this at same time might be pushing it.
Sure but the service cable gauge is tied to the load center capacity. Mine is 200A service per phase. For LG if the electrician will install it I’d guess the service cable will handle it.

When I did my calculations on a 200A circuit, there was plenty to accommodate the nighttime charging on the 60A breaker.

I'm seeing more and more commercials for EVs, I've noticed that almost everyone showing the car being charged the car is outside of the garage when they pull the plug.

I'm seeing more and more commercials for EVs, I've noticed that almost everyone showing the car being charged the car is outside of the garage when they pull the plug.
I can say there is a pretty big discussion about the safety of it. and the cables can be pretty long. Tesla's home charger is 24 feet long.

the build up potential of o-zone is a concern.

@lawgator1 do you have any worries about escaping a hurricane? I mean you're in hurricane alley. Seems like it could be an issue.

Yes and no.

The longest I have had power out in 20+ years has been 2 days. As I'd only be driving in town in that scenario, that would not be a problem at all.

If a major storm were headed directly for central Florida and it looked like outages might be longer than a few days, I might simply leave and head to South Florida or environs to the north.

Flip side of that equation is that, while I could store a few gallons of gas if a storm were coming, if a storm knocks out electricity the gas stations won't be running. Plus, I do not have to endure the pre-storm hassle of waiting in line for an hour a day or so prior to arrival.

So, all in all, not likely to be an issue.

Yes and no.

The longest I have had power out in 20+ years has been 2 days. As I'd only be driving in town in that scenario, that would not be a problem at all.

If a major storm were headed directly for central Florida and it looked like outages might be longer than a few days, I might simply leave and head to South Florida or environs to the north.

Flip side of that equation is that, while I could store a few gallons of gas if a storm were coming, if a storm knocks out electricity the gas stations won't be running. Plus, I do not have to endure the pre-storm hassle of waiting in line for an hour a day or so prior to arrival.

So, all in all, not likely to be an issue.
You could always store some gas and purchase a small, portable generator. It might take longer to charge but it could save you.

It sounds like the service is no different than your average hot tub.

You can put in what is commonly referred to as a dryer electrical socket, its 240 volts and has a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. This is what your dryer plugs into. Likely also your oven.

With a Tesla Model 3 this makes sense because the amperage limit of the Model 3 is such that you would not get any faster charge from the Tesla wall mount. But the Model Y has a higher amperage, and so charges faster with the wall mounted charger.

If you ever investigate this check out youtube (or even the blog communities) because many people say, well, if you are charging overnight the difference between the NEMA 14-50 plate and the wall mount charger is negligible. And, some people have successfully put in a splitter at the dryer location so they can alternately use the dryer or charge the car. Also true, I suppose, though I would not try it myself just being unfamiliar with the whole thing and if i did it I have to run the charging cable from the dryer location to the car.

But here's the point I think for most people: the cost to put in the NEMA 14-50 receptacle is going to be about $1250 to $1300 for me. The wall mount, which is easy to identify and popular, is $1500. The difference in the scheme of things is negligible so for average Model Y users like myself, the wall mount is usually best.

VN Store

Back