Electric Vehicles

Imagine if you can, all of the East Coasters coming home and plugging their car in at 5:00PM, the grid simply can't handle it.

This country has taken more Megwatts off of the grid than we have put back on.. We've shut down over 200+ coal fired power plants, some needed it while others didn't.

Our electrical grid is outdated, all you hear DC talk about is "Infrastructure".... they patch potholes, we need REAL infrastructure.

One good hot summer and a small hiccup in the system and it will be horrible.

Power plants use to be staffed by 100+ ppl, you can go in them now the staff is cut, they're doing less with less not more with less....... at some point it will break.
Why 5pm charging? Even on my terrible Ford app I can just plug in and schedule the time when it starts and ends. Many power companies give price breaks for off peak hours so they should be able to control the load.

Reactions: McDad
FWIW, I didn't see any change in my electricity costs last year compared to the year prior, other than the increase in rates that everyone had.

Mine has gone up, but more than offset by not buying gas.

I have traveled to SE and SW Florida and neither time had any significant issue with finding readily accessible charging. Some locations were more crowded than others, that's true. You kind of figure out where those are because I do think some people primarily rely on the Tesla superchargers to re-up the battery, which is dumb, because supercharging is literally twice as costly as home charging.

Why 5pm charging? Even on my terrible Ford app I can just plug in and schedule the time when it starts and ends. Many power companies give price breaks for off peak hours so they should be able to control the load.

My sister is taking delivery of her Model Y this week or next and in South Florida they have a deal where she charges past 11 pm and its something like a flat $35 a month. Crazy good deal.

Programmable charging times. Never thought about it but I like that option.

Is that common or do you knwo?

Programmable charging times. Never thought about it but I like that option.

Is that common or do you knwo?
Pretty sure it's common but it just makes sense. I've read on other ev forums many places have quite a significant drop for nighttime rates. More are also starting to tie it in with solar to take some of the load off. We'd do it if it was more cost effective to install

Pretty sure it's common but it just makes sense. I've read on other ev forums many places have quite a significant drop for nighttime rates. More are also starting to tie it in with solar to take some of the load off. We'd do it if it was more cost effective to install
My daugher and sIL installed solar at their house two years ago. The ROI wouldn't have been worth it if not for a tax break (maybe a credit) which offset the price. The system really worked well as long as there was sunshine. In low demand months, they had a small credit from their utility provider.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Typical "getting home time"..... i'm by no means against electric vehicles.

With that said........ you get home you're on 1/16 of a charge and you choose not to charge until 2 AM, an emergency happens at 11:59PM that will require driving farther than the 1/16 will go?

😂

Typical "getting home time"..... i'm by no means against electric vehicles.

With that said........ you get home you're on 1/16 of a charge and you choose not to charge until 2 AM, an emergency happens at 11:59PM that will require driving farther than the 1/16 will go?

😂
But i don't have to charge it when i get home which is the point. It may be beneficial to drive behavior

If I'm charging at home why am I draining it so far? You'd also need to consider the speed so 2am likely won't get your battery full. But by all means let's use an extreme, unlikely scenario to prove a point

I plug it in q2-3 nights, unless I have driven more than usual.

I just pulled up my charge stats. I average around 330 kWh/month.
How did that not impact your usage? Had to be offset by less usage on a heat pump or AC.

FWIW, I didn't see any change in my electricity costs last year compared to the year prior, other than the increase in rates that everyone had.
Oh the whole you probably won’t. Over a year is a long smoother on the curve. But he’s got a point on peak power draw vs average over a year. Peak capacity is how you size the grid.

That’s a great flexibility to have and I’ll even bet they can spread the peak out over time given the internet connectivity of these cars. Which would absolute alleviate the peak power concern.

Honestly the DC rapid chargers are a much bigger power drain especially if they do start showing up en masse

What preventative maintenance does an EV require?
Tires, brakes, and other things. I’m in the tire business on the retail side and Tesla puts nice tires on their cars but they’re soft with low tread wear ratings.

And, because EV drivers drive like hoonigans, they’re going to be installing a new set of tires every year.

That’s a great flexibility to have and I’ll even bet they can spread the peak out over time given the internet connectivity of these cars. Which would absolute alleviate the peak power concern.

Honestly the DC rapid chargers are a much bigger power drain especially if they do start showing up en masse
hmmm letting "them" decide when you can recharge.... what could go wrong?

How did that not impact your usage? Had to be offset by less usage on a heat pump or AC.
I did a little digging, and that's about a 5-10% bump, depending on the season. Granted, our electric bill is higher than the mean, with 2 HVACs, a pool, 2 refrigerators, 3 kids, etc. We bounce around a lot, especially with seasonal changes, so maybe $30 doesn't really register in monthly costs. Plus, we have a son away in college, now.

'And when they got here, the first thing they said was, 'Uggh, it's a Tesla. We can't get in these cars',' she told azfamily.com.

VN Store

Back