Electric Vehicles

Thank you. I'm just trying to provide some balanced, honest experience. 1 year ago I would have laughed at the idea of owning an EV. Tonight, I had fun playing with a Hellcat on Kingston Pike.

Just checked charging stats. It should take right at 5 hours to get from 17% to 90% tonight. I haven't plugged in since last Thursday.
Enjoy it! Yeah Tesla has solid engineering and did the systems design right. They made BEVs sexy. They give you an 11kW level 2 charger with the car and provide matching 11kW charge rate by the car internal charging system and that’s the max power you call pull from a 50A 240VAC breaker. The Model 3 is likely currently their most popular and retains its resale value on par with the most desired ICE powered cars.

I know you’re gonna be shocked to hear this but I don’t think I’d ever buy a BEV 😂. If I were to change my mind of the mfgrs available today Tesla would be at the top of my list. My nephew is a mortgage banker and owns a Model S I believe. I asked him why did he buy a BEV. He said he wanted a Tesla. That’s it. Ok good enough he makes enough coin that he can setup whatever he need for charging and his wife has the Accura SUV for the family sled. So they’re covered.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64
Enjoy it! Yeah Tesla has solid engineering and did the systems design right. They made BEVs sexy. They give you an 11kW level 2 charger with the car and provide matching 11kW charge rate by the car internal charging system and that’s the max power you call pull from a 50A 240VAC breaker. The Model 3 is likely currently their most popular and retains its resale value on par with the most desired ICE powered cars.

I know you’re gonna be shocked to hear this but I don’t think I’d ever buy a BEV 😂. If I were to change my mind of the mfgrs available today Tesla would be at the top of my list. My nephew is a mortgage banker and owns a Model S I believe. I asked him why did he buy a BEV. He said he wanted a Tesla. That’s it. Ok good enough he makes enough coin that he can setup whatever he need for charging and his wife has the Accura SUV for the family sled. So they’re covered.
At right at the six-figure mark, the S seems like a tough sell -- but people are buying them. There really isn't a huge improvement in the interior vs the higher end performance 3, and they don't qualify for the $7500 tax credit. The body is more appealing, but I think you can spend a few grand on souping up a 3 and get at least as good performance with half the price tag.

Side note: two close friends have a model S.

At right at the six-figure mark, the S seems like a tough sell -- but people are buying them. There really isn't a huge improvement in the interior vs the higher end performance 3, and they don't qualify for the $7500 tax credit. The body is more appealing, but I think you can spend a few grand on souping up a 3 and get at least as good performance with half the price tag.

Side note: two close friends have a model S.

They make a "ghost upgrade" for the 3/Y that supposedly adds 150HPe, but I don't think I'll be spending 2 grand to void our warranty...

GHOST UPGRADE

We are thinking of upgrading to the Model X 6 seater due to the roominess of them as our kiddos get bigger.

I promised some charging/energy usage/cost stats after a little experience.

After 4200 miles, I'm averaging 278 Wh/m of energy use, which is close to 4 miles per kWh. 1 kWh of charge at home costs $0.09 in my area, so the car is basically running $0.02-ish per mile.

By that math, I get around 2500 miles out of $50 of charging cost (compared to maybe 300-400 miles expected out of an average ICE car on a $50 tank of gas).

Compared to the predicted range, city mileage in the heat with AC running most of the time cuts the actual range by somewhere around 30%. For example, last charge to 90% left a predicted 272 miles, and I got 142 miles out of the car at 25% remaining charge. On short trips, I've paid attention to the AC effect. Manual override with the AC at full blast and max fan SIGNIFICANTLY increases power consumption (as much as 50% more than driving without AC). Set to "auto" on the AC, that number is much smaller.

I will record the exact charging time to go from 25-90% this evening.

Notes:
- it's been hot and I like to stay cool
- I drive pretty hard
- I always keep acceleration in "Performance" mode

I looked at my charge history to compare.

Our highest month of home charging was 593kWh, mostly we average 500ish. This is my wife's daily driver for commuting to work and we take it most of the time we go somewhere- my Ram 1500 isn't as cheap to drive.

So at 35k miles now, we are averaging $50-$60 per month in charging costs. KUB rate at $.10/kWh.

I will note that we usually only charge to 80%. Conscious of the comments in here about efficiency greatly reducing the closer you get to 100% charged... I'm sure this helps keep most charge sessions to about 4 hours.

They make a "ghost upgrade" for the 3/Y that supposedly adds 150HPe, but I don't think I'll be spending 2 grand to void our warranty...

GHOST UPGRADE

We are thinking of upgrading to the Model X 6 seater due to the roominess of them as our kiddos get bigger.
That's insane. I wonder how that boost works with the traction control. Aside from the insane launch torque at almost any speed, the ability to keep the tires on the pavement has been the most impressive to me.

That's insane. I wonder how that boost works with the traction control. Aside from the insane launch torque at almost any speed, the ability to keep the tires on the pavement has been the most impressive to me.

Those electric vehicles are quite heavy. It's not surprising to me that the wheels stay on the pavement. Tire wear would be more concerning

Isn't it only about 2-300 more pounds than its gas powered counterpart?

More than that

This sampling shows a comparison between 2023 models and weights, according to Kelley Blue Book:

• Ford 150 truck: electric, 6,015 pounds; gas-powered, 4,060 pounds
  • Hyundai: electric, 3,715 pounds; gas-powered, 2,899 pounds
  • Volvo: electric, 4,662 pounds; gas-powered, 3,726 pounds

PolitiFact - Carry that weight? Electric vehicles outweigh gas cars but aren’t main culprit of road wear.

I looked at my charge history to compare.

Our highest month of home charging was 593kWh, mostly we average 500ish. This is my wife's daily driver for commuting to work and we take it most of the time we go somewhere- my Ram 1500 isn't as cheap to drive.

So at 35k miles now, we are averaging $50-$60 per month in charging costs. KUB rate at $.10/kWh.

I will note that we usually only charge to 80%. Conscious of the comments in here about efficiency greatly reducing the closer you get to 100% charged... I'm sure this helps keep most charge sessions to about 4 hours.
If you’re unplugging around 80% just because it’s time to use the car that’s one thing. However due to the finicky and sometimes violent behavior of Li-ion to over energy charging and over current charging the on board chargers are highly sophisticated and will do everything they can to protect and extend the life of the battery. Additionally the car will consume a very small percentage of energy each day to power the onboard electronics so if you are making a conscious decision to unplug it before you need it I would think that isn’t needed. And if you ever need to let it sit for an extended period of time I’m sure the manual says to leave it plugged in.

Right? The Charger I took down yesterday weighs around 4,600 pounds, for reference.
Yep. If it was a Hellcat he also made over 700HP. He likely still wins on a rolling start I’d guess (assuming he can keep traction which is a huge IF) but from a standing start the AWD BEV is going to pretty much win every time I’d guess. Peak torque from standing start is too hard to overcome.

Now I could also bring up a Porsche 911 GT3 makes over 500 HP and weighs less than 3200 lbs. I think it’s fairly easy to play “this or that” and pick the corner cases. 🤷‍♂️

But to anybody paying attention we are taking a $55k(?) MSRP vehicle and comparing it to some crazy performance much more expensive ICE vehicles. That’s the real message here I think. It reminds me of when the Z06 came on the scene back in the day and was taking down a lot of the European super cars on track performance at a fraction of the cost.

And that Hellcat owner is a moron for not knowing your strength. Back in the early 80’s I had a turbo Mustang. From a standing start it was a complete dog but once I got into boost it was a comparative beast. I wouldn’t race a Honda Civic from a standing start. 😂

Again enjoy the car. It’s an amazing amount of technology in a very affordable priced package for what you get. If I ever would consider a BEV I’d start with the model you’re driving now or whatever Elon brings out to replace it.

Reactions: kiddiedoc and jp1
Wow....more than I expected.
Speculation on my part but I think the majority of BEVs available today are conversions from ICE chassis siblings. Likely not an efficient design process to produce the minimally weighted vehicle. As @kiddiedoc pointed out his Tesla beats comparable ICE vehicles on weight. It is also a BEV design from the start. Honestly it’s not fair to compare Telsa’s designs to most of the other BEVs around they simply do it much better than most of the rest I think. Right now anyway.

Reactions: kiddiedoc and jp1
Tennessee to Give Ford Electric Truck Supplier $13 Million in Incentives

ford-electric-truck_840x480.jpg

Tennessee has committed to give $13 million in incentives to a supplier for Ford’s new electric truck factory at BlueOval City.

Magna Seating will receive $3 million for its factory at BlueOval City while the companies Cosma International factory at the site in Haywood County will receive $7.5 million. A third manufacturing facility in Lawrence County will receive $2.5 million.

The incentives are set to be approved at a meeting of the State Funding Board on Monday.

The list of statewide incentives also includes two more electric vehicle suppliers with $4.5 million for Hanon Systems USA in Loudon City and $2 million for EnChem America in Haywood County.

McNeilus Truck and Manufacturing will receive $1.3 million for its Murfreesboro facility while additional incentives for unnamed companies for $1 million and $404,000 will be announced at the meeting.

The Tennessee Legislature previously approved $884 million in incentives for Ford at the facility during a special session in October 2021.

Tennessee to Give Ford Electric Truck Supplier $13 Million in Incentives - Tennessee Star

If you’re unplugging around 80% just because it’s time to use the car that’s one thing. However due to the finicky and sometimes violent behavior of Li-ion to over energy charging and over current charging the on board chargers are highly sophisticated and will do everything they can to protect and extend the life of the battery. Additionally the car will consume a very small percentage of energy each day to power the onboard electronics so if you are making a conscious decision to unplug it before you need it I would think that isn’t needed. And if you ever need to let it sit for an extended period of time I’m sure the manual says to leave it plugged in.

Tesla recommends charging to 80-85% unless you are planning a longer trip, then you charge to 100%. It’s easy to adjust in the app- I just plug in at night and it cuts off whenever it’s set to do so.

I believe it has to do with preserving the life of the battery long-term, but not 100% sure.

then u google and see stupid sheet:

People also ask

Are airless tires better?

images

Airless tires are better than traditional tires because they're more reliable, safer, and last longer. Airless tires don't have a tube inside them, so they can't go flat. This makes airless tires safer for you and your passengers.

No you’ve been providing everyone with rose colored glasses tainted marketing brochures. You in fact provided actual marketing web links. 😂 You haven’t been an honest broker at any point in this discussion. And are thus treated as a dishonest broker.

And I’d advise you to read up on the technology also. Both the good and the bad. Not just the positive marketing cultish information you’ve clearly focused on thus far. Because you clearly have no damn idea what you’re talking about.

What model car if you don’t mind me asking?

And before a certain EV avenger chimes in with more uninformed dumbassery.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/how-much-do-ev-batteries-cost

Cost Of EV Batteries
Electric vehicles are the most expensive when it comes to battery costs. A battery might cost between $4,000 and $20,000, depending on the brand and model of your vehicle. So, if you have owned the car for a while, and the warranty is void, you have no choice but to pay the asking price.

Yes I freely admit this is a corner case and yes as long as you’re within your vehicles warranty period on the battery you likely won’t have to deal with this. However it’s clear that EVs will not have a high residual value on the used market after the warranty is expired.

Also all mfgrs in North America provide a minimum BEV and hybrid battery warranty of 8 years and 100,000 miles. They don’t do it out of the goodness of their hearts. It’s federal law. Not all mfgr warranties are transferable. And some mfgrs, Tesla for example, exceeds the federally mandated minimums.

It’s the same battery technology today that is in our phones. Phones have much higher charge/discharge cycles so the life is shorter. But that analogy gives a very valid example of the accelerated useful life of a BEV battery. It’s neither good nor bad. It’s information that the owner needs to factor into their buying choice to make an informed buying decision.

Good stuff. Sounds like things many others in here have been saying for a while.

Good stuff. Sounds like things many others in here have been saying for a while.
Well it sounds like the positives you’ve been regurgitating while ignoring all the negatives where as I’ve been clear that I’m providing both.

Looks like I got under your skin on the rose colored glasses comment because the other post of mine you put up made no sense whatsoever. Go Google replacement battery cost. The numbers are real. Did you notice the source of the link? JD Power? So they are a dishonest BEV antagonist? 🤡And did you even read the last paragraph in that post? Run along and pull your jimmies out of your asscrack.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back