End of Driver’s Licensing

I talked with a lawyer I know and we actually ran through this topic. The idea is if you are "in control of the vehicle" you open the door to a DUI if also sufficiently intoxicated. This can almost be read as "If intoxicated proximate to a vehicle of which you have the keys you are open to a DUI charge.". He didn't really disagree when I posited that such a POV by the law literally diminishes the reason to not just say "F'it, might as well drive drunk since in the eyes of the law I'm just as guilty trying to sleep it off.".

That's nonsensical is hell to me.
Most normal people don’t drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol putting others in danger

Most normal people don’t drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol putting others in danger

We're literally discussing people getting DUI's for choosing not to do that very thing. My point, which I staunchly stand behind, is that from a legal standpoint there should never, ever be a scenario where staying put and actually driving can elicit the same legal beatdown. It's nuts.

So why punish the ones that try and be somewhat responsible by arresting them for sleeping it off in the back seat?

I will say I’m amazed when I hear those stories. Not saying it doesn’t happen, I know it does and it’s sick. But what I am saying is as an emt we got called to a ton of overdoses. A decent number of those were people in cars. Walmart parking lot, side of road, McDonald’s all types of places.

What amazed me was the cops would always say “you can with them (the ambulance) or go with us (to jail)” to the occupant. It annoyed me because hospitals were slammed during Covid and it just felt like the cop wanted to avoid the paperwork involved in a DUI arrest

We're literally discussing people getting DUI's for choosing not to do that very thing. My point, which I staunchly stand behind, is that from a legal standpoint there should never, ever be a scenario where staying put and actually driving can elicit the same legal beatdown. It's nuts.
So what about someone passed out in the road behind the wheel of a car? They are not driving because they were and they passed out. This is the majority of these arrests by far

I will say I’m amazed when I hear those stories. Not saying it doesn’t happen, I know it does and it’s sick. But what I am saying is as an emt we got called to a ton of overdoses. A decent number of those were people in cars. Walmart parking lot, side of road, McDonald’s all types of places.

What amazed me was the cops would always say “you can with them (the ambulance) or go with us (to jail)” to the occupant. It annoyed me because hospitals were slammed during Covid and it just felt like the cop wanted to avoid the paperwork involved in a DUI arrest
No it’s because they have to be seen and medically cleared because of liability. The days of “drunk tanks” are long gone

No it’s because they have to be seen and medically cleared because of liability. The days of “drunk tanks” are long gone

That could be handled by asking EMS instead of the criminal, if they were just looking for avoid liability. I’m not a defund the police kinda guy but I also fully accept that a large amount of them went into field for the wrong and are worthless human beings. Doesn’t mean some good ones don’t exist, but there’s a ton of lazy ones in the world

So what about someone passed out in the road behind the wheel of a car? They are not driving because they were and they passed out. This is the majority of these arrests by far

I don't think that's a scenario that been discussed (I'm sure not by me) but if you are in the road behind the wheel that would almost certainly meet the base level of being in "the act of driving" even if not in actual motion. I don't think many here would have a problem with someone being passed out at an intersection being cited for instance.

From what I heard today, a Tesla battery replacement battery can cost $60K and other lower brand models several tens of thousands. Lower-middle income will not be be able to drive anyways, and the material and battery production will be given to the CCP.. SK Battery in GA just built a $1B battery plant in GA. CCP company of course

And the electrical production will not keep up with the electrical demand.
Great plan.
Good job DC pols while ur pockets are lined.

That could be handled by asking EMS instead of the criminal, if they were just looking for avoid liability. I’m not a defund the police kinda guy but I also fully accept that a large amount of them went into field for the wrong and are worthless human beings. Doesn’t mean some good ones don’t exist, but there’s a ton of lazy ones in the world
Knox county for example quit accepting any intoxicated people into jail because a drunk guy fell off the bunk and hit his head and died. Poof lawsuit. It’s not laziness. It’s literally been directed by the Law Director and magistrates. As for drug ODs who are narcanned KPDs chief and the mayor has directed that they never be charged unless “other crimes are committed as well”

Knox county for example quit accepting any intoxicated people into jail because a drunk guy fell off the bunk and hit his head and died. Poof lawsuit. It’s not laziness. It’s literally been directed by the Law Director and magistrates. As for drug ODs who are narcanned KPDs chief and the mayor has directed that they never be charged unless “other crimes are committed as well”

If it wasn’t laziness they could still charge the people. This was not in Knox county nor did they charge them. They literally gave them the option knowing they would select the hospital. If it were strictly about liability and not laziness, they would still charge them with a crime. That’s the point you’re missing.

The police force has the same problem EMS has (and I love that field). You have too many people who got into those fields because they’re lazy.

Sorry not all police are as top of line like EMTs lol. Seriously every profession has good and bad people.

EMS has to plenty of lazy people too. My argument isn’t that EMS has less. It’s that both of those attract people who are lazy. I’m sure fire has similar issues too. I loved EMS, every second. I’d work 80-100 hours a week and enjoy every second but I can still be honest about the issues the field has and that the nature of the job itself attracts worthless people. It attracts great people too and some my favorite people in the world wear a badge or work on an ambulance, but defending the worthless in those professions does not help the good ones

VN Store

Back