Eric Berry running thru the T discussion (merged)

I'm just wondering aloud here, but hasn't EB in the past said that getting his degree in dentistry is extremely important to him? I know his parents situation is rough, but there is no way that his parents are going to tell him to NOT get a college degree to pay THEIR bills. I think EB pulls some sort of Tim Tebow esque "I'm coming back" kind of moment during the off-season! Next year, VOLS Sec Champs! Book it!

I want some of what you are having!

I'm just wondering aloud here, but hasn't EB in the past said that getting his degree in dentistry is extremely important to him? I know his parents situation is rough, but there is no way that his parents are going to tell him to NOT get a college degree to pay THEIR bills. I think EB pulls some sort of Tim Tebow esque "I'm coming back" kind of moment during the off-season! Next year, VOLS Sec Champs! Book it!

He can potentially make 100x more money in the NFL than he can as a dentist. And we aren't winning the SEC next year even if he comes back.

Gone.

I am starting to doubt the record. With the injuries @ linebacker we are going to need him even more in run support. Another instance of putting the Team above individuals.

I don't expect to ever hear him complain. He's that kind of guy. Besides, he won't lose a dime off of his NFL salary by not getting the record.

EB is one of the 5 best players to ever put on a UT jersey....but keep with tradition and allow only SR's to run thru the T!

In a way I kinda think he should be allowed to run through the T. He has given his all to Tennessee and if this is his last game in orange at Neyland I think he deserves the honor. I know the whole senior thing but how could anyone expect him to return for his senior season and risk injury or something just to run through the T as a senior? Most degree earners will never make the money he has the potential to make immediately.

Life is all about choices and the consequences of them. I bet some of the seniors who run through the T on Saturday would let Eric take their place in exchange for his salary over the next five years.

I wish he would get it but i just dont see it happening. The way CMK has him playing its gonna be hard to get any picks. Plus, no one will throw the ball his way. If we get a comfortable lead on vandy i think he should pull out and push EB back some to try and get him the record.

I agree this is definitely not newsworthy enough for an article in an actual newspaper but, it is a reasonable and expected message board topic.

Agree, no T for EB. I could give a rat's leg what anyone thinks about it but, I will be extremely sad about EB's last game in Neyland as well. If anyone wants to cry, I certainly wouldn't begrudge them for it. We all should be sad. The kid has been the biggest bright spot we have had on this team for the last two miserable years of football. For UT fans, the last two years have seemed like a decade because we are so accustom to our teams being competitive and dangerous in every game. We have grown used to competing for championships and high rankings every year. Our tradition is winning and for two years now (really 3 of the last 4), we have had disappointment after disappointment hitting us square in the face. This year included, regardless of the record and improvement on the field over last year. We were all embarrassed by the Ole Miss game, had our hearts stomped on by the UCLA game, and were steaming mad over the Auburn game. Then comes Cobbs, 5 star receiver, then goes Cobbs 5 star receiver and to of all places, the fake UT. Then comes 3 of our highest profile recruits under CLK getting arrested in an extremely ignorant and foolish stunt that left CLK looking bad, betraying their teammates, giving Florida even more to be happy about, and making us the temporary but of many, many (especially in Pahokee, FL) jokes about our program's character. This was a black eye for us nationally in many different ways, not just related to football. It leads to 2 freshman, 1 with potential NFL talent, being dismissed, and 1 definitely with NFL talent and a potential freshman all-american to be suspended indefinitely with his future with the team to remain up in the air for the time being. These 3 kids made us a top 10 class last year. Without them, we take a huge step back in the rebuilding process, who knows what that class would have been ranked without those 3 recruits but, it certainly doesn't help us with our current talent deficit, nor our overall depth concerns. It certainly helped us get embarrassed by Ole Miss and now our ability to win at Vandy and KY are highly in doubt, once again. We step back from where we all thought we were already moving forward from to start moving forward again trying to get back to prominence and relevance.

At this point, with another top 10, maybe top 5 class ready to come in next year, that's great and things are definitely moving in the right direction but, I know I speak for a lot of other Vol fans out there when I say we are ready to be Tennessee on the football field again and sooner rather than later.

EB has helped to make many of these disappointments fade quicker, he has kept UT's name in the media spotlight for positive reasons, and he is helping to solidify UT's future success with recruiting and also increasing the chances that we land his twin younger brothers down the road (word is they don't fall far from the tree).

The guy has given his all for TN. All while experiencing some of the most turbulent and challenging circumstances to have occurred in the entire history of UT's program during his career here. He is one of those special people and players that deserves to be in the NFL making his check next year but, it will still be sad to see him go. He has been a great role model for other, younger players on the team. His on-field successes and off-field ability to relate to potential recruits visiting UT have opened doors for us that wouldn't have been open otherwise. His presence in the locker room has been valuable and I believe calming to many others on the team. If you're not sad, you aren't a true Vol fan IMHO.

Go VOLS!

This from an article in the daily times

NO T FOR EB: Though Lane Kiffin has freely admitted he expects junior All-American safety Eric Berry to be among the top picks in the 2010 NFL Draft, Berry is not among the 20 Vols presently scheduled to run solo through the Pride of the Southland Band's "T" Saturday prior to kickoff against Vanderbilt

There is an article by Hooker, that says Kiffin HAS given EB permission to run through the "T".

It just says that he'd be ok with it, but that EB probably wouldn't want to. He'd rather be with the team. EB probably hasn't asked or anything.

I agree with everyone who has stated the positive impact Eric Berry has made on our program. He is definitely a unique young man.

However, there are many others who have made an incredible impact on our program, but in subtle ways that are invisible to the public, and known only to the coaches and players on the team. If one of those players decided he wasn't coming back for his senior year, for a personal reason, would he be allowed to run through the T at the end of his junior year? No.

Until they call it "Senior (and Those Who Are Leaving Early) Day" the honor should be reserved for those who are seniors.

I agree with everyone who has stated the positive impact Eric Berry has made on our program. He is definitely a unique young man.

However, there are many others who have made an incredible impact on our program, but in subtle ways that are invisible to the public, and known only to the coaches and players on the team. If one of those players decided he wasn't coming back for his senior year, for a personal reason, would he be allowed to run through the T at the end of his junior year? No.

Until they call it "Senior (and Those Who Are Leaving Early) Day" the honor should be reserved for those who are seniors.
Good first post. Welcome to the board.

I think that he cannot improve his stock anymore than what it already is... But it wouldn't suprise me a bit to see him back in Knoxville for his senior year. I think he is having fun playing football with this team and staff.... Let the seniors have their day in the "T". I would love to see Berry back for his senior season...

We well have to wait and see. part of me says he won't be cause he is a class act, but the other part of me thinks he will b/c he wants to say goodbye to the fans.

He won't do it for two reasons...

1. He believes in tradition and this is reserved for seniors, no matter how special you are.

2. His whole family will not be here anyway. His brothers have a very big game and the parents will be split.

He is leaving for the NFL, this year is his last...Running through the T should be about being your LAST game as a VOL not about being a senior...... I HOPE HE DOES

VN Store

Back