Film study of da ducks

That's a bold statement. The best CB tandem in the nation? Then why did Virginia get so many yards on you?

IF you can really run 8 in the box the whole time, then why did Virginia get 124 yds rushing and 174 passing? 298 yds of offense doesnt sound like the best CB tandem or even close to the best defense...

Against Virginia??? Who went 4-8 last season in the ACC and is a bottom feeder in that conference?

I hate to agree with PD on this one because he's a clown, but he's right in regards to our corners. They're probably the best in te nation, at least top 3.

174 passing yards? That's paltry to begin with. But dig deeper into the stats. That 174 yards was gained on 47 pass attempts. That's 3.7 YPA. Which, by the way, is woeful. Further, 96 of those yards came from tight ends, and another 20 from running backs. That means of the 174 passing yards UVA gained, 116 were gained by players not covered by isolation corners. I'd say that pretty damn good.

Also, in regards to the yards, look at the number of plays UVA ran. Oregon's offense is so fast, and puts their defense on the field so often, you can't judge Oregon's D by basic stats. You have to dig deeper. That 298 yards of offense in 86 plays amounts to 3.4 yards per play. That's incredibly effective, and would be a top 5 Defense if that kind of yard per play were allowed over a season.

And I should also mention that the game was eleventy-billionoids to negative 5 by the third quarter. How many of those UVA stats were gained by their first string offense on our 3rd string D? The answer: probably a third.

This D is really good. Our corners are great. The numbers will prove that over the season. Especially the worthwhile numbers and not just surface stats.

Don't mean to attack you. We're quite used to this because people don't realize what kind of strain our offense puts on our defense. People always say stuff like, "You gave up X yards to Y team! That's not elite!" It's not, until you realize that Y team averages 6.6 yards a play and we held them to 3.6, since they ran a thousand damn plays against us. And our defensive starters are taken out in the third quarter because we're winning by 100.

It's an easy misconception. Our defense is good, despite what the elementary stats say. But they'll be challenged by the Vols, that's for sure. You guys have just the type of offense we want to see to prepare us for Stanford: big, strong, fierce, well coached. Going to be fun!

Reactions: 3 people
From Yahoo sports:

Worley has struggled to be sure, but he's also shown that he is improving and can get into a groove completing passes. If Oregon sells out to stop the run and leaves our receivers in space, Worley has shown the potential to make them pay.

:hi:
To quote Hubert Humphrey "I would pleased as punch" with a big passing game from Worley:)

I made a mistake, can own up to it. Get your licks in now, cause you only have a few more days to enjoy it.

What does next week have to do with anything? Even if UT loses, you will still be a miopic football fan that knows nothing of the NCAA outside of Oregon.

PS: It doesn't take much heart to go on an opponent's fan site and strut when you are a favorite. If Oregon loses, you'll never be back. If Oregon wins, you'll be right back here strutting.

That doesn't take much heart or class, my friend.

Reactions: 4 people
I hate to agree with PD on this one because he's a clown, but he's right in regards to our corners. They're probably the best in te nation, at least top 3.

174 passing yards? That's paltry to begin with. But dig deeper into the stats. That 174 yards was gained on 47 pass attempts. That's 3.7 YPA. Which, by the way, is woeful. Further, 96 of those yards came from tight ends, and another 20 from running backs. That means of the 174 passing yards UVA gained, 116 were gained by players not covered by isolation corners. I'd say that pretty damn good.

Also, in regards to the yards, look at the number of plays UVA ran. Oregon's offense is so fast, and puts their defense on the field so often, you can't judge Oregon's D by basic stats. You have to dig deeper. That 298 yards of offense in 86 plays amounts to 3.4 yards per play. That's incredibly effective, and would be a top 5 Defense if that kind of yard per play were allowed over a season.

And I should also mention that the game was eleventy-billionoids to negative 5 by the third quarter. How many of those UVA stats were gained by their first string offense on our 3rd string D? The answer: probably a third.

This D is really good. Our corners are great. The numbers will prove that over the season. Especially the worthwhile numbers and not just surface stats.

Don't mean to attack you. We're quite used to this because people don't realize what kind of strain our offense puts on our defense. People always say stuff like, "You gave up X yards to Y team! That's not elite!" It's not, until you realize that Y team averages 6.6 yards a play and we held them to 3.6, since they ran a thousand damn plays against us. And our defensive starters are taken out in the third quarter because we're winning by 100.

It's an easy misconception. Our defense is good, despite what the elementary stats say. But they'll be challenged by the Vols, that's for sure. You guys have just the type of offense we want to see to prepare us for Stanford: big, strong, fierce, well coached. Going to be fun!

Great post.

... people don't realize what kind of strain our offense puts on our defense. People always say stuff like, "You gave up X yards to Y team! That's not elite!" It's not, until you realize that Y team averages 6.6 yards a play and we held them to 3.6, since they ran a thousand damn plays against us. And our defensive starters are taken out in the third quarter because we're winning by 100.

If CBJ has his way over the next several years, Vol D stats will start looking like Oregon's -- not like Alabama's.

Guess it's going to be a bit before all UT fans get their heads wrapped around this up-tempo thing.

Reactions: 1 person

In a discussion about stacking the box to stop the run, and its effect on freeing up the passing game, these may have been stats better left unsaid.

If Oregon stacks the box to stop the run, our tight ends will eat you up in the middle of the field.

If your vaunted corners are in man coverage, their backs will be to the play when our TE gets the ball where your linebackers should have been, and our large receivers will be blocking the 1x1 corners downfield.

If your corners are in a soft zone to compensate for your linebackers being in the box, it makes it much easier to drop the ball in the soft parts of the zone.

You can trump your corners all you want. This is football physics. You have 11 guys to cover two dimensions of football field. If you put more people on the line, you get hurt in the passing game.

Personally, I don't think your defensive line will match up well against our offensive line. You will either cheat to stop the run, or give up the run.

However, the season is young, and we are yet to see,

Reactions: 3 people
What does next week have to do with anything? Even if UT loses, you will still be a miopic football fan that knows nothing of the NCAA outside of Oregon.

PS: It doesn't take much heart to go on an opponent's fan site and strut when you are a favorite. If Oregon loses, you'll never be back. If Oregon wins, you'll be right back here strutting.

That doesn't take much heart or class, my friend.

That's a little better.

I won't be strutting, we are supposed to win.

I watched the VA/OR game on DVR last evening. It was scary and eye opening. They are good. They are damned good. They are quick, fast, and bigger than I expected. Those teams always seem to wither under the size and speed found in the SEC. Well, that team compares favorably in speed and is about as big.

One thing that I did notice is that their offensive linemen take about 1/4 of the plays "off." On about half the plays all of them are involved. On the other half of the plays, the right side will just stand around if it is a play to the left and vice versa when it goes right. That gives them about a 25% rest. That could be a big key in pursuit for the linebackers if they can key off the linemen. The defensive line away from the play is not significant because they can't catch up anyway! They are that fast.

The QB is bigger than I thought but not quite as mobile as in recent years. He is also not very accurate when passing the ball. That might help the Vols since they don't tend to be very close to a potential receiver!

The bottom line is that UT will have to play the best game they have played in several years to avoid a thrashing. If so, they have a chance! GO BIG ORANGE!

In home, couch film study eh?

And this one game led you to believe that Marcus Mariota is not "quite as mobile as in recent years?"

That right there shows me your armchair film study was worthless.

We were told last time you'd have the advantage on both lines last time. Just saying....we are actually hearing a lot of the same things we heard last time .

We were told last time you'd have the advantage on both lines last time. Just saying....we are actually hearing a lot of the same things we heard last time .

From orange kool aide drinking fools no doubt.

Anyone with a clue realizes that we literally don't have the speed on defense to play with your offense. It's not rocket science.

And I dont take it as an attack. This was a Great post, actually.

I like football conversation, that's why I come here. Thanks for adding something meaningful.

But when someone says they can stack 8 in the box, and not allow us to pass, I question their intelligence.

I think, for the most part, Tennessee fans have given credit to Oregon's entire team all week, while on the other hand, PD and some others (not u) have bashed Tennessee and what we've done so far this season.

At this point, neither of us have done anything other than what's expected against weak OOC opponents. And again, while I think that oregon will probably win this game because of experience in their system, I am having a hard time believing that this Volunteers team will voluntarily lose.

All week, comments from PD have come with a sense of entitlement and mockery.

So, when he or BisonDuck want to claim that their defense has the ability to effectively shut down a pass and run game simultaneously of a SEC team averaging 47 points a game and over 200 yds rushing, I have to disagree.

Last edited:

Whoever said that to you last time were severely misinformed. Our roster was decimated from coaching turmoil last time we met. We were in the recovery stages from having two walk-on OLs as starters. Anyone that told you we were a line advantage was selling a bill of goods.

This year, out OL is on the watch list by several media outlets as perhaps the best in the SEC/country. It's probably the most experienced line in the country, and is projecting multiple NFL draftees. It's not simply something that UT fans have invented to get us through tough times.

But you wouldn't know this, since you've shown your lack of knowledge per anything but Oregon football.

Whoever said that to you last time were severely misinformed. Our roster was decimated from coaching turmoil last time we met. We were in the recovery stages from having two walk-on OLs as starters. Anyone that told you we were a line advantage was selling a bill of goods.

This year, out OL is on the watch list by several media outlets as perhaps the best in the SEC/country. It's probably the most experienced line in the country, and is projecting multiple NFL draftees. It's not simply something that UT fans have invented to get us through tough times.

But you wouldn't know this, since you've shown your lack of knowledge per anything but Oregon football.

This! Our oline was being recruited or freshman the last time we played. They actually had a bad year. Sims held the ball too long and made them look worse.

Our Oline should help us a lot this game. And our Dline and LB core is looking a lot better with Jac. Smith coming back this week and possibly Maggitt.

AJ Johnson is going to struggle again if he is forced to cover a lot of crossing routes (It's Oregon so he will) and our CBs are young and a bit over ambitious, but have proven themselves to be reliable thus far.

This biggest issue we will have, that we have had in the past is containing a running QB. Mariotta could have a really impressive day running the ball.

You never know what will happen until the game is played.

Good luck to you Ducks. Stay classy PD

In a discussion about stacking the box to stop the run, and its effect on freeing up the passing game, these may have been stats better left unsaid.

If Oregon stacks the box to stop the run, our tight ends will eat you up in the middle of the field.

If your vaunted corners are in man coverage, their backs will be to the play when our TE gets the ball where your linebackers should have been, and our large receivers will be blocking the 1x1 corners downfield.

If your corners are in a soft zone to compensate for your linebackers being in the box, it makes it much easier to drop the ball in the soft parts of the zone.

You can trump your corners all you want. This is football physics. You have 11 guys to cover two dimensions of football field. If you put more people on the line, you get hurt in the passing game.

Personally, I don't think your defensive line will match up well against our offensive line. You will either cheat to stop the run, or give up the run.

We don't exclusively stack the box. We don't exclusively do anything. We play defense, usually in a base 3-4. And react to an offense accordingly, while still dictating to our strengths.

We're fine with tight ends getting yards. Why? Because tight ends don't usually create explosion plays. And we're fine with short dump offs to receivers, because our corners aren't just finesse cover corners - they also hit hard and tackle well.

Oregon doesn't simply like stopping the offense. We'll give you the short yardage if we have to. Our D has 3 main goals: stop the big play, create turnovers, and sack the quarterback. Over these last 3 years, explosive plays against us compared to explosive plays for us have been decidedly in our favor. Last year, we led the nation in takeaways and I believe led the nation in sacks. Our defensive goals were met: hence only 1 loss, which had nothing to do with the D.

If we beat the crap out of your QB, intercept passes and recover fumbles, and keep your offense restricted to two plays of 20 yards or more, you can have all the 4 yard runs, 6 yard tight end completions, and 5 yard receiver hitches you want. That won't cut it when keeping pace with our offense.

I'm not saying you won't score. In not saying you won't move the ball. I'm not even saying your offense won't own the momentum for a portion of the game. Hell, this could even turn into an unexpected shoot out! You have the talent. But the fact is, we believe in a different type of defensive philosophy. And the greater fact is, of our 4 losses in the last 3 years, none of them can be blamed on our defense. They hit, they're fast, they steal the ball, they beat up the QB, they rotate 26-29 players a game (like a hockey team rotation), and in the last 2 years, they've gotten a lot bigger to go with the rest of our traits. I love the way our D plays. It matches the speed, enthusiasm, and entertainment of our offense. And best of all, it's proven to be effective.

I'm excited because your team poses an interesting challenge. You're good, you're well coached, you're big, and you're hungry for a win. So to that, I say thank you for providing us a challenge and I hope the Vol offense rings their A game. With that said, challenge accepted ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Really good post, It's given me a different perspective. :good!:

I'm excited because your team poses an interesting challenge. You're good, you're well coached, you're big, and you're hungry for a win. So to that, I say thank you for providing us a challenge and I hope the Vol offense rings their A game. With that said, challenge accepted ;)

Now, that's how a visitor is supposed to act. Thanks for talking real football without dissing the other team.

PD, take note. And also, I changed my avatar just for you :)

I guess everything we heard before was an invention, or just denial. You outweighed us across the board for the most part. That was enough for a lot of the board to think a little ole pac team couldn't come into your house and essentially own it for a day. New coach, SEC rah rah.

I do agree about your line.

And I dont take it as an attack. This was a Great post, actually.

I like football conversation, that's why I come here. Thanks for adding something meaningful.

But when someone says they can stack 8 in the box, and not allow us to pass, I question their intelligence.

I think, for the most part, Tennessee fans have given credit to Oregon's entire team all week, while on the other hand, PD and some others (not u) have bashed Tennessee and what we've done so far this season.

At this point, neither of us have done anything other than what's expected against weak OOC opponents. And again, while I think that oregon will probably win this game because of experience in their system, I am having a hard time believing that this Volunteers team will voluntarily lose.

All week, comments from PD have come with a sense of entitlement and mockery.

So, when he or BisonDuck want to claim that their defense has the ability to effectively shut down a pass and run game simultaneously of a SEC team averaging 47 points a game and over 200 yds rushing, I have to disagree.

Ignore the idiots mate!

And this has all been fun talk and reading.

Again, as I stated in an earlier post, we don't stack 8 in the box, unless we're facing a team that very factually can't pass and only runs the ball.

Still, our defense heard a lot about Auburn shredding us with their ridiculous running game and all century QB and elite SEC and all that good stuff. How did it play out? With way less talent, that team held Auburn to its worst offensive output all season and held Cam Newton to his worst game in college. I know I know - it means nothing now. Still interesting to note. Our defensive system and philosophy bothers the **** out of teams. As I said, we've never lost a game because of our defense since the Chip Kelly era to now. I don't expect that tomorrow. I expect, if we lose, it'll be because you completely dismantled our offense.

Our defensive backfield (not just corners) is ridiculously deep, and our Dline looks like a Julius Peppers doppelgänger tryout.

But our weakness (shhhh, don't tell the Vols), is the inexperience of our linebackers. If I were Butch, I would run power plays, thereby forcing the linebackers to take angles, which get inexperienced players out of positions. And I'd throw a lot of RB and TE dump offs, stretching them out and making them think too much. That's where you're going to find the weakness. That's why I'm glad my Ducks are playing such a strong and balanced AQ conference offense early - the linebackers need to be thrown into the water. Thy have the talent and coaching to succeed; now all they need is a mean, big offense to punch them in the mouth to see how they react.

I'm actually more curious to see how our D matches up against your O than I am confident. Whatever happens, this is going to be a good measuring stick for the rest of the season, because you certainly have the players and coach to make me concerned. As I'm sure it will be a measuring stick for your squad as well!

Seriously, don't tell Butch what I told you. Or else...

The Ducks with their D and our OL, have ZERO chance to stop us on third and 1/2 ... zero chance. Our fate is in our hands, they'll not dictate to our offense with their D, just won't happen. The test will be can we execute well enough on offense to keep ourselves in third and short situations throughout the game? Time will tell. I believe they are very good on the offensive side of the ball and our D will have their hands full. But their D is nothing special at all, never has been against an SEC team ... even our horrible Dooley first year team had no problem with them for a half ... I believe CBJ has done a much better job and has much better talent on the field for this year's version of the Vols. I ain't skeered that's for doggone sure!!! Everybody on that OU team has 2 arms and 2 legs same as us. When they start trotting out guys with 4 arms and 4 legs, I may get discomfited, never skeered. If you can't get along get it on, that's why we play the game, we'll show up and we'll play, you can bet your sweet donkey on that.

Link to me bashing your team.

Duckit, name calling is against board rules. I don't rat, but I take it two wrongs equal a right in your mind. You don't have to like it, but you can ignore it.

VN Store

Back