Fired Tennessee vaccinations director planning to leave state with her family

It's entertaining when I can't sleep

I gave up news site comments for Lent one year and never looked back. They make the VolNation Politics Forum (on a bad day) look like a collection of sages discussing high minded philosophy at the Library of Alexandria.

This place has many redeeming qualities. News site comments are Exhibit 1 of why humanity doesn't deserve to continue existing.

Wasn't anything pompous about his statement. He stated a fact about this state's ignorant Republicans going political concerning vaccinations. Get over your little self
Why all the butthurt? What do you care who gets vaccinated?

You have left a lot to unpack here, because even the basic premise of your argument is wrong.

(1) COVID can not be accurately described as "benign". It has proven to be a lingering virus in the public realm over the last 17 months, whose variants are increasingly infectious. Death rates are low, which is good... but too many people living in the United States have contracted this virus for it to be dismissed as "benign".

(2) The major point should definitely be how safe and effective the vaccines are. Aside from the issue of safety, there is no other valid reason for not seeking a COVID vaccination.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY....

(3) On February 20, 1905, the Supreme Court ruled in a 7-2 landmark decision, in the case of Jacobson v. Massachusetts, that the city of Cambridge, Massachusetts could fine residents who refused to receive smallpox injections. In the majority opinion, Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote about the police power of states to regulate for the protection of public health:

"The good and welfare of the Commonwealth, of which the legislature is primarily the judge, is the basis on which the police power rests in Massachusetts. Upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members." - Supreme Court Justice, John Marshall Harlan

In short, this ruling stated that the government can mandate that its citizens receive an injection for the purpose of preventing the spread of infectious disease. The malignant or benign nature of the disease in question, is not left open for each individual private citizen to determine. That determination is the responsibility of the legislature (as Justice John Marshall Harlan put it), otherwise known as the government.
1. 99.5% survival rate for COVID... that is benign compared to ebola, small pox, bubonic plague.
2. Just because COVID has been in the headlines for 17 months, that doesn't mean anything. There is a lot of media hype and a hidden agenda playing out that is causing all of the drama and nonsense to be lingering for so long. The other issue with regards to not taking the vaccine are again the lack of time and information needed to know the long term effects of the vaccines/therapeutics and the fact that we need to be on guard for the slippery slope that is being established. The freedoms and rights abuses over something as benign as COVID is scary... just imagine the amount of govt over-reach when a real disease comes along.
3. You totally ignored what I said in the second half of my post. I said reasonable people can draw the line between influenza/COVID and Ebola. If we get fatality rates that are in the over 10%, then I would say that steps should need to be taken to protect the public. I'm not anti-vax or not against taking measures to protect the public. But COVID does not come close to meeting the level of some of the actions taken.

I gave up news site comments for Lent one year and never looked back. They make the VolNation Politics Forum (on a bad day) look like a collection of sages discussing high minded philosophy at the Library of Alexandria.

This place has many redeeming qualities. News site comments are Exhibit 1 of why humanity doesn't deserve to continue existing.
I used to read news on the Yahoo website everyday just to get a chuckle from the comments. Once they turned them off, I quit going there and haven't looked back.

And what is my stupidity? Doing due diligence?

There was a broad brush statement about Trump supporters, and I gave a personal example of how that WAS a broad brush statement that is not true.
The states that overwhelmingly support Trump the most are some of the least vaccinated. So it most certainly is somewhat true a correlation exists

The vaccines (or therapeutics) may be safe and effective. But that isn't the major point. We can't have govt coming in and mandating injections on something as benign as COVID. I think reasonable people can draw a line between COVID and Ebola to determine when such drastic actions are needed, but right now, the hysteria and actions taken to address COVID have gone way too far.
Benign? This ain’t benign.
I have mixed feelings. If we’d all worn N95 masks for a month last summer I wonder if this would be ancient history. This virus has to have a host to survive.

Reactions: NashVol11
You have left a lot to unpack here, because even the basic premise of your argument is wrong.

(1) COVID can not be accurately described as "benign". It has proven to be a lingering virus in the public realm over the last 17 months, whose variants are increasingly infectious. Death rates are low, which is good... but too many people living in the United States have contracted this virus for it to be dismissed as "benign".

(2) The major point should definitely be how safe and effective the vaccines are. Aside from the issue of safety, there is no other valid reason for not seeking a COVID vaccination.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY....

(3) On February 20, 1905, the Supreme Court ruled in a 7-2 landmark decision, in the case of Jacobson v. Massachusetts, that the city of Cambridge, Massachusetts could fine residents who refused to receive smallpox injections. In the majority opinion, Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote about the police power of states to regulate for the protection of public health:

"The good and welfare of the Commonwealth, of which the legislature is primarily the judge, is the basis on which the police power rests in Massachusetts. Upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members." - Supreme Court Justice, John Marshall Harlan

In short, this ruling stated that the government can mandate that its citizens receive an injection for the purpose of preventing the spread of infectious disease. The malignant or benign nature of the disease in question, is not left open for each individual private citizen to determine. That determination is the responsibility of the legislature (as Justice John Marshall Harlan put it), otherwise known as the government.
Covid is a far cry from smallpox….
Smallpox is estimated to have killed up to 300 million people in the 20th century[16][17] and around 500 million people in the last 100 years of its existence,[18] including six monarchs.
it has a 30% mortality rate

I have mixed feelings. If we’d all worn N95 masks for a month last summer I wonder if this would be ancient history. This virus has to have a host to survive.
The answer is no….. covid isn’t going anywhere until herd immunity occurs.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Covid is a far cry from smallpox….
Smallpox is estimated to have killed up to 300 million people in the 20th century[16][17] and around 500 million people in the last 100 years of its existence,[18] including six monarchs.
it has a 30% mortality rate
I remember the smallpox vaccination. They jabbed a needle in my arm about 200 times and left a big scar. I don't see many of those scars anymore, I guess we're all dying out.

1. 99.5% survival rate for COVID... that is benign compared to ebola, small pox, bubonic plague.
2. Just because COVID has been in the headlines for 17 months, that doesn't mean anything. There is a lot of media hype and a hidden agenda playing out that is causing all of the drama and nonsense to be lingering for so long. The other issue with regards to not taking the vaccine are again the lack of time and information needed to know the long term effects of the vaccines/therapeutics and the fact that we need to be on guard for the slippery slope that is being established. The freedoms and rights abuses over something as benign as COVID is scary... just imagine the amount of govt over-reach when a real disease comes along.
3. You totally ignored what I said in the second half of my post. I said reasonable people can draw the line between influenza/COVID and Ebola. If we get fatality rates that are in the over 10%, then I would say that steps should need to be taken to protect the public. I'm not anti-vax or not against taking measures to protect the public. But COVID does not come close to meeting the level of some of the actions taken.
Just because COVID-19 is not as deadly as the Black Plague or Ebola, doesn't make it "benign". No epidemiologist has described it with that term.

The basic premise of your argument is still dead wrong. You said that the government shouldn't be mandating injections, and then enforcing these mandates, but the Supreme Court ruled 116 years ago in Jacobson v. Massachusetts, that the government does have the right to do exactly that. This ruling has been tested numerous times by "Typhoid Mary" and others. It has always been upheld.

Finally, you and these other "reasonable people" you speak of, are not the arbiters of whether or not COVID-19 is a serious enough threat to the community to warrant a vaccination mandate. Justice Harlan's written opinion for the majority makes it clear, that is the government's call (See Justice Harlan's reference to 'the legislature').

Reactions: NashVol11
The states that overwhelmingly support Trump the most are some of the least vaccinated. So it most certainly is somewhat true a correlation exists
You know what else is in those states of unvaccinated? Unlike the news tells you, it's not the unvaccinated getting sick. Literally, everyone around here that has tested positive recently are all vaccinated, except one. Fox 5 Atlanta posted a story about our hospital in Gainesville, that it was overrun with corona patients up here in "trump country", and they were turning sick people away because they had no room. The truth, my wife was literally in that hospital, infection issues, and we both talked to the nurses, and a Dr while there. They had like two patients at that point, two, on the same day Atlanta news posted that story. They did have a few more the last time she was in, and one didn't make it, but the media has been full of crap more than once. My wife actually talked to the patient right beside her, because she heard her crying. Wanna know why she was crying? Because her and her vaccinated husband both tested positive, and she didn't understand how. I don't care if you get it ,or not (the shot), but some of you trying to run around acting like it's only the unvaccinated getting sick because the news says so, and that's flat out wrong.

It's been reported that the least vaccinated demographic is African Americans. African Americans = Trump voters. More evidence that the election was stolen. Who would have known?

Unvaxed, Black and Live in NYC and want to dine....nah. This is going to be unreal to watch.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
You know what else is in those states of unvaccinated? Unlike the news tells you, it's not the unvaccinated getting sick. Literally, everyone around here that has tested positive recently are all vaccinated, except one. Fox 5 Atlanta posted a story about our hospital in Gainesville, that it was overrun with corona patients up here in "trump country", and they were turning sick people away because they had no room. The truth, my wife was literally in that hospital, infection issues, and we both talked to the nurses, and a Dr while there. They had like two patients at that point, two, on the same day Atlanta news posted that story. They did have a few more the last time she was in, and one didn't make it, but the media has been full of crap more than once. My wife actually talked to the patient right beside her, because she heard her crying. Wanna know why she was crying? Because her and her vaccinated husband both tested positive, and she didn't understand how. I don't care if you get it ,or not (the shot), but some of you trying to run around acting like it's only the unvaccinated getting sick because the news says so, and that's flat out wrong.
I'm not acting anything. I stated facts.

I am sure all the dogs, cats, and other mammals would strictly follow the N95 mask protocol. Good grief.

VN Store

Back