Florida granting teaching licenses to military + spouses.

So back to being serious.

I live in Memphis. Actually in the heart of the city, not the suburbs.
I pay both City & County taxes to fund the Memphis City Schools. My girls do not attend the Memphis City Schools.

Should I plan on sending them to East High?
Should I keep them at St Mary’s?
Should I tell my wife to get off her ass and homeschool?

I realize we all have different options in life. But what should people like me be doing?
What you are doing and additionally not paying taxes for public schools or at least paying either a reduced amount or have a portion of your taxes go to St. Mary's.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Not so sure about the "failed government system" part but there is certainly no shortage of bad parents and dumb kids.
Are bad parents and dumb kids a result of failed government in your mind?
What about good parents and dumb kids or bad parents and bad kids or bad parents and good kids? The IQ spectrum can run the gamut to make for an infinite spectrum of parent/child combinations. What is a parent to do?

Not so sure about the "failed government system" part but there is certainly no shortage of bad parents and dumb kids.
Are bad parents and dumb kids a result of failed government in your mind?
It depends on what caused the parents to be 'bad'. Is it because of dependence on said government, then unequivocally yes it is because of government. Dumb kids that go to government schools... absolutely a failure of government. All government does is get in the way of success. Especially since government has decided to use a stick instead of a carrot in motivation. And it mostly started with Barry Soetoro, the most divisive president ever.

Nope, he is dead on for a majority of the public school system. Even the AP classes now have dismal pass rates.
There's no doubt the country has gotten lazier and more entitled. But what type of idiot would blame that on public education?

A large enough sample of students who scored similarly on aptitude tests in early grades, all with involved parents, some who transitioned into home schooling with the others remaining in public school.

So what you’re saying is there’s not actual data you would accept if it goes against your beliefs? You’ll just blame the parents.

There's no doubt the country has gotten lazier and more entitled. But what type of idiot would blame that on public education?
You can't blame being lazy on public education, but you can blame crappy school systems for crappy teachers and crappy results. Just look at where people move to. They run away from lousy school systems towards good school systems if they can afford it. Sorry man, but your industry is rife with lousy teachers that don't care and are in it for the benefits.

So what you’re saying is there’s not actual data you would accept if it goes against your beliefs? You’ll just blame the parents.
No. What I'm saying is that I understand what useable and comparable data is.

Anybody reading much into a comparison of public, private, and home school ACT scores is simply pretty stupid.
That kind of simplemindedness explains a lot about how we got to where we are.

Anybody reading much into a comparison of public, private, and home school ACT scores is simply pretty stupid.

What’s wrong with the study out of NY comparing the performance of kids who applied for the lottery vs those accepted? Does that not show superiority of the charter schools?

You can't blame being lazy on public education, but you can blame crappy school systems for crappy teachers and crappy results. Just look at where people move to. They run away from lousy school systems towards good school systems if they can afford it. Sorry man, but your industry is rife with lousy teachers that don't care and are in it for the benefits.
I know I cannot convince you otherwise.

What’s wrong with the study out of NY comparing the performance of kids who applied for the lottery vs those accepted? Does that not show superiority of the charter schools?
Not to mention the waiting lists to get into charter schools in NYC. And it ain't rich people wanting to get their kids in.

So what you're saying is if school systems and parents test students to a standard test, they're stupid?

Or maybe some administrative hacks in school systems are too set in their beliefs and government mandates and fail to see how they contributed to why US education ranks lower than most first world counterparts these days

Or maybe some administrative hacks in school systems are too set in their beliefs and government mandates and fail to see how they contributed to why US education ranks lower than most first world counterparts these days
I always have to throw in that it ranks better than our health care.
Yet we have some nuts who champion our health care system while blasting our education system.

Having grown up in public schools, having my kids go to public schools and now watch my own kids move their kids to better schools, I have witnessed a theme.
There have certainly themes and trends over the past 40 years.
But is public education a cause or a reflection?

VN Store

Back