Florida granting teaching licenses to military + spouses.

Can you show me that this is anything more than any other teacher in Florida
Certificate Pathways & Routes
Pathways to a Temporary Certificate
Applicants who do not currently meet all requirements for a Professional Certificate, can qualify for the Temporary Certificate with one of these pathways:

1. Bachelor's Degree with a Passing Score on the Florida Subject Area Examination (for subjects that require no more than a bachelor's degree)
  2. Bachelor's Degree with a Valid Certificate Issued by American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE)
  3. Bachelor's Degree with a Major in the Content Area
  4. Bachelor's Degree with Required Courses and 2.5 GPA in the Content Area
A Florida temporary teaching certificate remains valid for three years. During that time, educators complete the temporary teaching certificate requirements.

It's not cherry-picking the data to attempt an apples-to-apples comparison. In aggregate, students educated at home or in a private school will score higher on the ACT than students educated in a public school. Relative to the population educated in a public school, however, the population educated at home or in a private school has, in aggregate, parents more highly educated and more heavily invested in their children's education. To what extent, then, the difference in achievement can be attributed to superior instruction (rather than to superior parenting) will remain in doubt unless some effort is made to control for the differences between the respective populations of students.

It should also be emphasized, perhaps, that the comparison that should concern parents is not public school vs. private school vs. homeschool, but the family's particular public school options vs. its particular private school options vs. its particular homeschool options. Not all public schools are created equal, nor are all private schools, nor or all homeschools.

For what it's worth, my wife and I have elected to use a combination of homeschooling and private schooling. The options we've had, however, are not available to all families, nor do all familes value in education what we value.
Great post.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Certificate Pathways & Routes
Pathways to a Temporary Certificate
Applicants who do not currently meet all requirements for a Professional Certificate, can qualify for the Temporary Certificate with one of these pathways:

1. Bachelor's Degree with a Passing Score on the Florida Subject Area Examination (for subjects that require no more than a bachelor's degree)
  2. Bachelor's Degree with a Valid Certificate Issued by American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE)
  3. Bachelor's Degree with a Major in the Content Area
  4. Bachelor's Degree with Required Courses and 2.5 GPA in the Content Area
A Florida temporary teaching certificate remains valid for three years. During that time, educators complete the temporary teaching certificate requirements.

So your problem is simply that their license is valid for an additional 2 years beyond that of non veterans? Why’s that bad?

Don’t get me wrong, I’d agree 5 years for both would be better. But this still isn’t what you’re trying to make it out to be. We both know these recertification procedures are just bureaucracy for the sake of.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
It's not cherry-picking the data to attempt an apples-to-apples comparison. In aggregate, students educated at home or in a private school will score higher on the ACT than students educated in a public school. Relative to the population educated in a public school, however, the population educated at home or in a private school has, in aggregate, parents more highly educated and more heavily invested in their children's education. To what extent, then, the difference in achievement can be attributed to superior instruction (rather than to superior parenting) will remain in doubt unless some effort is made to control for the differences between the respective populations of students.

It should also be emphasized, perhaps, that the comparison that should concern parents is not public school vs. private school vs. homeschool, but the family's particular public school options vs. its particular private school options vs. its particular homeschool options. Not all public schools are created equal, nor are all private schools, nor or all homeschools.

For what it's worth, my wife and I have elected to use a combination of homeschooling and private schooling. The options we've had, however, are not available to all families, nor do all familes value in education what we value.

What about the fact that charter schools out perform public schools with the same populations? What’s your excuse for that

Tl;dr
When the issue is the "system" vs private vs home school you either compare the aggregate means or you compare a random 31 piece sample from each. Period. End of stats lesson.
Total nonsense.
Exclamation point.
You may wish to dig a little deeper.

Looth, it's an inconvenient truth no mater how hard you want it to be different. Stick to trying to draw triangles. It's more your speed
Are you the one I shamed on triangles?

Here is your daily math riddle.....If you were 1/2 as smart as you think you are, you would be three times as smart as you really are.
Your real intelligence is what % of your presumed intelligence?

Are you the one I shamed on triangles?

Here is your daily math riddle.....If you were 1/2 as smart as you think you are, you would be three times as smart as you really are.
Your real intelligence is what % of your presumed intelligence?
ok wtf and now you are just making up numbers again

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
ok wtf and now you are just making up numbers again
I vaguely remember a conversation a few years ago about how to draw a perfect equilateral triangle. Someone (I guess it was '82), posted a way that was overly complicated and far to confusing, I posted a simple 3-step method and I think he was a little embarrassed that my way was so much simpler.
The daily math riddle was specifically for 82.

I vaguely remember a conversation a few years ago about how to draw a perfect equilateral triangle. Someone (I guess it was '82), posted a way that was overly complicated and far to confusing, I posted a simple 3-step method and I think he was a little embarrassed that my way was so much simpler.
The daily math riddle was specifically for 82.
Much like your opinion on the education system, your method only worked part of the time. The only shame I have is actually treating you as if you are an adult with a 3 digit IQ. I should know better by now.

Much like your opinion on the education system, your method only worked part of the time. The only shame I have is actually treating you as if you are an adult with a 3 digit IQ. I should know better by now.
Part of the time? More non-sense. But you do you.

What about the fact that charter schools out perform public schools with the same populations? What’s your excuse for that

I have no interest in offering an "excuse." I will offer a hypothesis.

Among the things I value in sending my children to a private school is the fact that they have, as a rule, highly talented, curious, and diligent classmates with parents heavily invested in their moral and intellectual development. Because of the quality of their classmates, my children are afforded more rigorous instruction and more abundant encouragment to the pursuit of excellence.

Likewise, as a teacher in a private school, I'm able to teach my discipline more rigorously and at a more advanced level than I would in any of the public schools in my area. I wouldn't (I think) be a less effective teacher in a public school, but I would have less to show (in the way of raw standardized test scores) for my efforts. Aristotle's distinction between the productive arts and the cooperative arts is useful here. Good teaching, like good coaching, is of great importance, but, at the end of the day, less depends on the Xs and Os than on the Jimmies and Joes.

The fact that students who have won a lottery to attend a charter school achieve better academic outcomes than similar students who have lost the same lottery is due, I hypothesize, in no small measure to the quality of their classmates (which affords them more rigorous coursework and much greater peer support for their efforts). Furthermore, what I propose here as a hypothesis would, I believe, be regarded as a self-evident fact by the vast majority of parents who send their children to private and charter schools. It's a large part of why we make the sacrifices we do.

Last edited:

Among the things I value in sending my children to a private school is the fact that they have, as a rule, highly talented, curious, and diligent classmates with parents heavily invested in their moral and intellectual development. Because of the quality of their classmates, my children are afforded more rigorous instruction and more abundant encouragment to the pursuit of excellence.

Likewise, as a teacher in a private school, I'm able to teach my discipline more rigorously and at a more advanced level than I would in any of the public schools in my area. I wouldn't (I think) be a less effective teacher in a public school, but I would have less to show (in the way of raw standardized test scores) for my efforts. Aristotle's distinction between the productive arts and the cooperative arts is useful here. Good teaching, like good coaching, is of great importance, but, at the end of the day, less depends on the Xs and Os than on the Jimmies and Joes.

The fact that students who have won a lottery to attend a charter school achieve better academic outcomes than similar students who have lost the same lottery is due, I hypothesize, in no small measure to the quality of their classmates (which affords them more rigorous coursework and much greater peer support for their efforts). Furthermore, what I propose here as a hypothesis would, I believe, be regarded as a self-evident fact by the vast majority of parents who send their children to private and charter schools. It's a large part of why we make the sacrifices we do.
Once again, excellent post.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
What if we had predominately black grandmother aged women teach predominately black children. Of all the black people I've ever met, they are afraid of their grandmothers more than anyone.

Lmao. They send you to pick a "switch" or "hickory"...thats why. My Mammaw left whelps on the back of my knees that burned for days in summer time due to salt from sweat running around like a heathen all day. I am white though so ...

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

Solid post. I agree that on average, of course private and charter schools have more involved parents and better students. Which draws better teachers ...which makes competition...which weeds out crap teachers bc they can actually be fired.

Loother wants to blame the failings of public schools ON the parents and students tho while refusing to admit that the majority of the teachers are sheit (they are) and that there is absolutely ZERO reason for teachers to even have a union in 21st century USA....much less the bullcrap union policies that make horrible teachers unable to be fired...garbage admin at local as well as state level, the DOE...

The entire system of public education in this country sucks balls compared to ANY of our "peers"...a term i use loosely since we spend more per student than any nation on EARTH meaning actually we have NO peers. We just flat suck at education and spend more doing so than any nation on Earth.

You righties once are again are missing the whole point due to lack of understanding.
An "educated" person is in no way prepared to go into a classroom and teach unless they have gone through some training and practice (student teaching). Knowing the subject material well is only a part of the "education" needed.
An "uneducated" person is even less prepared than an "educated" person. And to place them in a classroom with no training and a five year contract is not good.

If there is a teacher shortage, pay more!!!!
Define training. As a military instructor, I have many industry certifications in Instructional Systems Design. I have a full grasp of Bloom's taxonomy and develop training support packages on advanced topics.

Define training. As a military instructor, I have many industry certifications in Instructional Systems Design. I have a full grasp of Bloom's taxonomy and develop training support packages on advanced topics.
Then you would have most of what you need, depending on the age of your students.

You righties once are again are missing the whole point due to lack of understanding.
An "educated" person is in no way prepared to go into a classroom and teach unless they have gone through some training and practice (student teaching). Knowing the subject material well is only a part of the "education" needed.
An "uneducated" person is even less prepared than an "educated" person. And to place them in a classroom with no training and a five year contract is not good.

If there is a teacher shortage, pay more!!!!
There is a teacher shortage in Florida because a million+ people moved here in the last few years due to bad policy in NY, CA, IL, etc. Florida teacher pay is actually competitive as a state.

Reactions: tntar heel

VN Store

Back