Florida granting teaching licenses to military + spouses.

Solid post. I agree that on average, of course private and charter schools have more involved parents and better students. Which draws better teachers ...which makes competition...which weeds out crap teachers bc they can actually be fired.

Loother wants to blame the failings of public schools ON the parents and students tho while refusing to admit that the majority of the teachers are sheit (they are) and that there is absolutely ZERO reason for teachers to even have a union in 21st century USA....much less the bullcrap union policies that make horrible teachers unable to be fired...garbage admin at local as well as state level, the DOE...

The entire system of public education in this country sucks balls compared to ANY of our "peers"...a term i use loosely since we spend more per student than any nation on EARTH meaning actually we have NO peers. We just flat suck at education and spend more doing so than any nation on Earth.
Bold: Anectdotal reason why i think that's BS... when I was a kid, the private school kids weren't any smarter or more diligent than anybody else as a group. The only difference between us moron public schoolers and the private school kids was that they had more money for beer.

Italics: I dont believe this. I have some family members that are public school teachers and they are some of the brightest and most hard-working people I know.

Last edited:
My wife and her friends were evidently going on about this last night. Haven't had a chance to review it completely but if it is how it reads then it's idiotic. They aren't qualified to work at my kid's former daycare much less be teachers
How do you know they aren't qualified to teach certain subjects? For example, I can guarantee you that many who work in military intelligence are fluent in a second language and would have no problem teaching it at the high school level. Plus I'm aware of the training they go through to learn that second language.

Bold: Anectdotal reason why i think that's BS... when I was a kid, the private school kids weren't any smarter or more diligent than anybody else as a group. The only difference between us moron public schoolers and the private school kids was that they had more money for beer.

Italics: I dont believe this. I have some family members that are public school teachers and they are some of the brightest and most hard-working people I know.
I agree with you. I don't think that the vast majority of public school teachers are crp as has been posited here. But... they are ruled over by a crap union. Teaching is an interesting profession in that there is this incredible draw to it, and until reality hits, money is not a consideration. Then... when the bills are due, suddenly they are underpaid. It's not a secret. Everybody knows how much teachers make. I have flown with many many former teachers that became flight attendants in their 30s-40s because they were tired of the BS that the unions and the administrators heap on them.

For me it comes down to a simple thought as well. NOBODY that is paid via public funding should have either a union nor a defined benefit retirement plan. The only exception I might consider in that are public servants that have gone into the line of fire...

I agree with you. I don't think that the vast majority of public school teachers are crp as has been posited here. But... they are ruled over by a crap union. Teaching is an interesting profession in that there is this incredible draw to it, and until reality hits, money is not a consideration. Then... when the bills are due, suddenly they are underpaid. It's not a secret. Everybody knows how much teachers make. I have flown with many many former teachers that became flight attendants in their 30s-40s because they were tired of the BS that the unions and the administrators heap on them.

For me it comes down to a simple thought as well. NOBODY that is paid via public funding should have either a union nor a defined benefit retirement plan. The only exception I might consider in that are public servants that have gone into the line of fire...
Some of the unions go too far, but teacher unions aren't the same everywhere. They have literally no power in some states. A lot of the problems in schools now stem from parents that either don't care or think Little Johnny can do no wrong.

I don't agree with your position on retirement. They actually spend a lot of time outside of school hours working, taking continuing education, preparing for the next year, etc. They deserve their retirement. If you think the overall quality of public school is bad now, see what happens if you take away insurance and retirement.

I thought when someone chose teaching as a profession they weren't doing it for the money?
You're smarter than that.....I hope.
Money is always a factor.
It's just that for teachers, it's not the one overriding factor that makes all other factors irrelevant.
Teachers still care about factors like societal benefit, leaving their mark, helping others achieve a better life, being a positive influence in the world, helping those in need, and laying their head on the pillow at night with a sense of pride and accomplishment.

You're absolutely right. Most charter schools pay less than public schools so the teachers that go there are typically either trying to get away from political influences from one side or the other or have personal priorities that take them in that direction.

Your real problem is low pay and long hours are causing most top flight teachers to leave. I sent my daughter to one of the top 20 universities as ranked by US News. It cost a stunning amount. I've been blessed in my career and could pay, with everything included, more than I paid for my house. She teaches in the NC public school systems, having taught in three lower socioeconomic schools. If she had to borrow the money for her education she could never have been a teacher. Housing costs in Charlotte are so high that I still give her a substantial allowance because her pay sucks so bad.

But don't the students deserve teachers who were educated at some of the best universities. The only way you get there is to start paying the teachers so you attract the best. But so many people still don't value education despite the evidence from the 2008 recession and the first year of the pandemic that college grads did much better than non-college grads.

BTW, for anyone who wants to support their kid's schools there is a website DonorsChoose.org.

If your teachers have needs they can't get through the school, they can post it on this website. They have to submit a proposal to the website which then has a specific employee (whose name they disclose on the contribution page) review the project and verify its cost, value and purpose. If it passes it is then posted for a specific period of time and anyone can donate to it. A lot of large corporations, GM is one, have months where they will match donations. It can be for any number of things from snacks to computers to field trips. The contribution page shows you a cost summary item by item.

And your donations are tax deductible. They even email you a year end statement of your donations for your tax records.

Make sure you tell your kid's teachers about it.

My daughter spent most of her summer working on grant applications. That's for you guys who say they don't work hard and get three months off.

You're smarter than that.....I hope.
Money is always a factor.
It's just that for teachers, it's not the one overriding factor that makes all other factors irrelevant.
Teachers still care about factors like societal benefit, leaving their mark, helping others achieve a better life, being a positive influence in the world, helping those in need, and laying their head on the pillow at night with a sense of pride and accomplishment.
Okay. Then let's pay our enlisted military members more money as well. I'm sure you agree.

Reactions: SergeantVol
Some of the unions go too far, but teacher unions aren't the same everywhere. They have literally no power in some states. A lot of the problems in schools now stem from parents that either don't care or think Little Johnny can do no wrong.

I don't agree with your position on retirement. They actually spend a lot of time outside of school hours working, taking continuing education, preparing for the next year, etc. They deserve their retirement. If you think the overall quality of public school is bad now, see what happens if you take away insurance and retirement.
Sorry, but nobody deserves a retirement that includes taxpayer funded increases. They can call Fidelity and start a 401k just like everybody else.

I don't give a rat's ass how much time they spend outside of school. That is part of the job. I spend a lot of time outside my job too doing stuff I don't get paid for. (Did you know that if you can SEE a pilot, he isn't being paid? We don't get paid until the airplane pushes back from the gate.... All that preflight stuff is not paid in my hourly rates) So cry me a freaking river about extracurricular work. I deserved my retirement too, but it was taken in bankruptcy. Uncle Sam just charges the taxpayers more when the unions negotiate better retirement. It needs to stop.

And I said nothing about insurance. But if both those things were taken away, it wouldn't change the draw of teaching as a profession by young naive kids. Like I said earlier, they don't worry/complain about any of that until it is too late and they are ensconced in the profession.

Reactions: DonjoVol
You're absolutely right. Most charter schools pay less than public schools so the teachers that go there are typically either trying to get away from political influences from one side or the other or have personal priorities that take them in that direction.

Your real problem is low pay and long hours are causing most top flight teachers to leave. I sent my daughter to one of the top 20 universities as ranked by US News. It cost a stunning amount. I've been blessed in my career and could pay, with everything included, more than I paid for my house. She teaches in the NC public school systems, having taught in three lower socioeconomic schools. If she had to borrow the money for her education she could never have been a teacher. Housing costs in Charlotte are so high that I still give her a substantial allowance because her pay sucks so bad.

But don't the students deserve teachers who were educated at some of the best universities. The only way you get there is to start paying the teachers so you attract the best. But so many people still don't value education despite the evidence from the 2008 recession and the first year of the pandemic that college grads did much better than non-college grads.

BTW, for anyone who wants to support their kid's schools there is a website DonorsChoose.org.

If your teachers have needs they can't get through the school, they can post it on this website. They have to submit a proposal to the website which then has a specific employee (whose name they disclose on the contribution page) review the project and verify its cost, value and purpose. If it passes it is then posted for a specific period of time and anyone can donate to it. A lot of large corporations, GM is one, have months where they will match donations. It can be for any number of things from snacks to computers to field trips. The contribution page shows you a cost summary item by item.

And your donations are tax deductible. They even email you a year end statement of your donations for your tax records.

Make sure you tell your kid's teachers about it.

My daughter spent most of her summer working on grant applications. That's for you guys who say they don't work hard and get three months off.

Let me get this straight? You spent a few hundred thousand dollars for your daughter to attend a prestigious university and she ends up teaching? What’s the ROI on that?

Let me get this straight? You spent a few hundred thousand dollars for your daughter to attend a prestigious university and she ends up teaching? What’s the ROI on that?
You really are two dimensional aren't you?
The return on that investment will last for generations, so it's kind of hard to calculate.
What's the ROI on a 10k family trip to the beach?
What's the ROI for 5 years of piano lessons for your kid?

Reactions: DuckInAPen
You really are two dimensional aren't you?
The return on that investment will last for generations, so it's kind of hard to calculate.
What's the ROI on a 10k family trip to the beach?
What's the ROI for 5 years of piano lessons for your kid?
Lmao yea a poli sci major who goes to DC to be used by politicians and lobbyists and lives an unhappy life is definitely worth the money wasted on a useless education. You could make the case for probably 25% of all relevant majors

VN Store

Back