Florida granting teaching licenses to military + spouses.

2.5 isn't setting the world on fire. It's pretty low

I'm not mad about anything except lowering standards because of who someone married

Can you please point to where he has forced the hiring of someone?

He has eliminated barriers. That is good for competition. Competition is good for production.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
And this recruits people with content knowledge? If so, how do you measure/confirm that?

You should try reading it before commenting but the answer is they have to pace a competence test. Most states use Praxis. I’m assuming they do too

That is a dilemma.
I have a feeling the paradigm will shift with the voucher system. If the schools don’t improve they are going to look around and not have any decent students. And then they will be shut down and consolidated.

Increased the size but not the depth. This does nothing to increase the talent level

Within that depth lies talent. If we only allowed people with a PhD to teach, we would lose a lot of talented educators. The same is true for a bachelor's degree. I have no issue with allowing people who have an associates (60 hours is basically that) to teach.

I am not understanding your point about school shootings and how this relates to regular teachers that we have now, or even less of how it would relate to having former military in the classrooms.

If we really cared about school shootings we wouldn't continue compulsory education. How many shooters were kids who didn't want to be there in the first place?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I have a feeling the paradigm will shift with the voucher system. If the schools don’t improve they are going to look around and not have any decent students. And then they will be shut down and consolidated.
There are no easy answers, and vouchers would do more harm than good IMO.

Not all teachers do that. You and I both know lateral entry exists in most states.
The overwhelming majority do. The lateral entry positions require a degree and a 1-3 year (non-certified) provisional period.

Math, English, reading, science and history is what’s missing from the classroom. We need teachers that want to stimulate a child’s mind not their social skills. If most students are reading at a fourth grade level, something is terribly wrong with the teachers we already have. A teacher’s place is to teach not to tell them about their personal life.

The overwhelming majority do. The lateral entry positions require a degree and a 1-3 year (non-certified) provisional period.

The overwhelming majority of teachers will still do that so idk why you even bring that up.

Why does the provisional period matter? I’m not following the importance here

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
The overwhelming majority of teachers will still do that so idk why you even bring that up.

Why does the provisional period matter? I’m not following the importance here
Because it sounded as if they would be given a five year certificate, not a one year (closely supervised) one year provisional.
A number of provisional teachers are not renewed after their first year. In FL, that same teacher could hang around for five years.

Because it sounded as if they would be given a five year certificate, not a one year (closely supervised) one year provisional.
A number of provisional teachers are not renewed after their first year. In FL, that same teacher could hang around for five years.

So you’re assuming for no reason that they’ll be granted a status above that of other new hires? Just admit you’ve got nothing

VN Store

Back