Game Thread : Lady Vols at Kentucky,,Sunday 2pm,,SEC Network

We had 26 assists today as a team, including Walker and Powell combining for 13 assists and only 4 turnovers. They also shot a combined 7-9 from the floor and 1-1 from 3. Powell, especially, seems to be trending upward the last couple of weeks, which could be huge for us in March.

Hollingshead with 5 turnovers today but shot 7-8 from the floor (and several of those were smooth 15-footers!). She and Striplin combined for 27 points, 12-15 shooting, 12 rebounds, and 2 blocks. If we get this kind of balanced scoring outside of Jackson and Horston, we could be in really good shape.

I really, really hope we get a shot at a rematch against LSU in the SECT semis.

I know it's only KY, but the PGs (not counting Miles) very nice game. Walker 10 pt, 5 reb. 5 ast, 2 steals in 23 mins; Powell 6 pts 3 rebs, 8 assists, 1 steal in 18 mins. Nice job.

26 total assists on 36 baskets. Nice. Glad Miles got mins in her home state but she has big work to do. Ditto Justine.

Jordy, please come home. To be fair, she did have 6 assists and 4 steals. But we need her like she was the first 5 minutes.

Alabama leads Ole Miss 41-35 at the end of three! If this holds…. We will probably have to play Georgia?

Wonderful first half on road senior day. No issues with playing bench in 1st qt it's there job to perform. Puckett has got to get out of her own head and just play the game she loves. Let's see Press early to build for tournament. In CHRIST Alone
That game could have changed so quickly letting a Division 1 team gain momentum. With how poorly this bench has been playing with no starters on the court, having 5 subs in in the first quarter at the same time boarders on Coaching malpractice. Put 2 or 3 subs in with 2 or 3 starters fine, but to go to players you wouldn't play against SC or LSU is a terrible coaching strategy. That 3-4 minutes that they played together and Kentucky went on their run is not going to help this team in the post season this year. If they want to complete 40 minute games of solid defense and offensive execution, they need to play the same 7-8 players they would play against South Carolina in the final of the SEC tournament should we get there. I'm not sure this team knows they can play a full 40 minutes of solid basketball, cause if we get up 8-10 points, Kellie wants to get everyone some minutes. Then she will turn around in the press conference and say, "Just not sure why we can't play a full 40 minutes of basketball." I know the answer coach. Cause you refuse to play the 7-8 players who could actually play a full 40 minute game together for a full 40 minutes to build their chemistry and confidence in doing so.

I took a peek at the game thread during halftime and was surprised at the Walker bashing again. Yes, she made that one drive into the trees but that was the first time in a long while. Not surprisingly, she had the best +/- on the team. The fact that this stat continues to be so good for her is not the fluke some has posited. She is shooting better and seems like she has had several recent games of hitting about a third of her three pointer shots. For this game, 10 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals! This year, she is a SEC caliber guard. No, she is not the best n the SEC but she has been an important cog of our winning 12 of the 16 SEC games by double digits. She is much improved!

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything about Horston being ill, but she hasn't looked well (IMO) the last few games, and I noticed today in one close-up camera shot that she appeared to have dark circles under her eyes. They weren't severe, but she definitely looked tired. She's obviously been pushing through and managing to have plenty of good moments in games, but she has been noticeably less energetic and enthusiastic lately to my eye.

VN Store

Back