Get Behind Coach Heupel

Three more years of hunting every Saturday I guess.

In all seriousness, I really do hope that Coach Heupel can bring some excitement back to this team and fan base and is able to finally get a rebuild started.

In reality we’ll probably be doing another search in 3 years but if he can help us weather the storm of the NCAA investigation and get us more competitive (win the ones we are supposed to, maybe sneak up on and beat a team we are not) then that is all we can ask for from him.

Offense is light years better than ours. I read it was #2 in the nation. QB passed for 600 yards in losing effort vs Memphis.

Also had over 10 opt outs. So yes, they lost to BYU, Cincy, and 2 other good teams.

Please let go of the Bill Battle comparisons.

We just hired the 5th most productive offensive scoring team in the 2018-2020 time frame:

Bama- 47.0 ppg (41 games)
Oklahoma- 44.6 ppg (39 games)
Clemson 43.9 ppg (42 games)
Ohio State- 43.8 ppg (36 games)
UCF- 43.0 ppg (36 games)

We could have done a lot worse.
Heupel is not going to bring the recruits in to compete with the big boys not matter how much of an offensive genius he is.

I don’t think he is an upgrade.

Worse recruiter for sure. Question is, what would Pruitt have done taking over UCF vs what Heupel has done. I think he would have had close to the same record as Heupel but recruited better...so the program would have been in slightly better shape overall (assuming no McD's bags of cash floating around).

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
For those less than enthused with this hire take this into consideration. CJH wanted this job when most others didn’t. Despite all of the adversity, despite unprecedented hurdles and despite a diminished roster he thought enough of this job to take on such a daunting task. He left a comfortable situation in Orlando to come to Knoxville to build something from the ground up. You can question whether he can get the job done but fact of the matter he is willing to give it a go. If your going to be critical of anyone be critical of those that didn’t have confidence in themselves that they could turn this thing around. Get behind this guy and remember a lack of early success doesn’t fall on him but does on the previous administration and coaching staff. Welcome to Rocky Top CJH!

not a flashy hire AT ALL.
but, the guy can coach an offense. If he brings a staff like Butch did, then my expectations crumble. But if he builds a staff where we drop $2M+ for an OC and a DC, he could be in good shape.

I think everyone bitching super hard about this one would have a difficult time explaining how this hire is different than hiring Kiffin.

JH blasted Lane Kiffin two years in a row at FAU with similar talent. The argument for JH is the same as it was with Lane Kiffin. Every game he's lost has been because of defense. Pair him with a defensive staff and we will win. Everyone was all over that plan with Kiffin so what's different now?

Kiffin doesn't look like sloth from the Goonies, and Kiffin has SEC experience as a HC (mostly in losing). What else?

As I said in the RF, the trajectory argument is silly. His starting QB went down in 2019 and he had 10 players opt out this year.

He brought in a new staff in 2019 and went undefeated. So I guess the only way to prove he's tma good coach after that is to go undefeated every single season after that, forever? That's silly.

Some of y'all just need to treat this guy has Lane Kiffin's emotionally stable weird looking uncle and give him a damn chance.

Recruiting doesn't really bother me. Anyone that can fog a mirror can recruit to the middle of the SEC here. Traditionally that is where we land...somewhere from 4th to 7th in the league. All three of the most recent stiffs have. You can win with mid-pack SEC talent IF you can coach them up. That is what I doubt about this hire...but we'll see.

Reactions: vol24/7/365
Wouldn't it be great if there didn't have to be people to hype up a subpar hire and there didn't have to be people on the other side throwing rocks? I'm guilty of that last one.

I guess it's an impossibility but it would be fantastic if Tennessee could finally hire somebody that 80% of us could all be happy about.

Reactions: TN Outlaw
For those less than enthused with this hire take this into consideration. CJH wanted this job when most others didn’t. Despite all of the adversity, despite unprecedented hurdles and despite a diminished roster he thought enough of this job to take on such a daunting task. He left a comfortable situation in Orlando to come to Knoxville to build something from the ground up. You can question whether he can get the job done but fact of the matter he is willing to give it a go. If your going to be critical of anyone be critical of those that didn’t have confidence in themselves that they could turn this thing around. Get behind this guy and remember a lack of early success doesn’t fall on him but does on the previous administration and coaching staff. Welcome to Rocky Top CJH!
No.

I'm a true vol fan so I'm behind the team through thick and thin (and there has been a lot of thin lately)
This end only one of two ways
1) Josh is successful and beats Bama at which point OU fires Lincoln Riley and hires him away
2) Josh's offense doesn't succeed we're 6-6 year three and Boyd, Plowman, White and Heupel all get fired as @kckempf stated if there is this much division on this board it'll carry over to boosters.

I was so damned angry about Pruitt I took time off posting from December 2017 and didn't put anything up until the start of the 2019 season.

This one doesn't anger me. It doesn't wow me. The guy's ability as an offensive coach does give us a chance of having something decent to hold onto during these difficult years ahead.

If he gets us back into fighting shape and pulls us up to the point where Florida and Alabama aren't treating us like a practice game against the local DIII team, then I'm going to be pleased with the hire.

This is how bad Battle Captain and Bald Battle left things with this program. All I want is to see from this guy is to get Tennessee back to the point where we are winning consistently rather than being the modern-equivalent of Tulane in this conference.

No. I'm done handing out blind loyalty to coaches.
Its not about being loyal to a coach. Just be loyal to the University of Tennessee. At least give the guy a chance. Looks like he is here weather people like it or not. The players and team need our support.

VN Store

Back