Hurd likely out for season....is this a good thing for Vols?

We need healthy heroes. An injured Jalen Hurd does us no good if we don't have a replacement. I watched that game last weekend. He's a great athlete, but if you think Station Camp is a tough defense, wait until he plays teams in the SEC. He will eventually play safety or linebacker. Why does everyone get upset at that idea?

The reason people are getting upset is due to the fact that you are here dancing around, flailing your arms, and screaming, "Look at me! I was right and you were wrong!"
Really seems that you are enjoying this kid's injury a little too much to be a real Vol fan.
That's just my opinion.

Reactions: 2 people
The reason people are getting upset is due to the fact that you are here dancing around, flailing your arms, and screaming, "Look at me! I was right and you were wrong!"
Really seems that you are enjoying this kid's injury a little too much to be a real Vol fan.
That's just my opinion.

No, but it seems people are resting too much on their laurels with Hurd. We need another RB in this class. Now you see why.

We do have another RB we have Paulk he's a good change of pace back. Hurd in my opinion is going to be one hell of a RB all these college coaches can't be that wrong there are 9 major programs who want him for RB Ohio st is one of them I just hope we can hold on to him

And................he's out for the season. Your point?

Hurd was lying on the turf when he was tackled a guy rolled on his upper body and caught his shoulder. It was pulled awkwardly as he rolled over. It was a freak thing that could happen to anyone. He continued playing injured and had a hell of a game. He is a team player.

Reactions: 1 person
No, but it seems people are resting too much on their laurels with Hurd. We need another RB in this class. Now you see why.

If the people on this site weren't resting on their laurels, would that make you happy? Also, how is that having an effect on the recruiting that the coaches are doing?

He's also 6'4", so 230 isn't that heavy. He has very little upper body strength, based on what I saw last weekend. Time to go after Fournette hard!!!

Your crazy as heck, I am 6'4" 240. I would like to lose 25 lbs. You really want him to be 250???

“I hate it for him, that he’s going to miss his senior season,” Beech coach Anthony Crabtree said. “It stinks for him to have to sit and watch. He's going to have to move on. We all are. Beech football is going to be all right

Phew! All I needed to hear.

He's a RB not a QB. Its a torn labrum. His arm, not his leg or knee. He'll lose the experience of his Sr year but he wont lose a step or muscle. He'll be fine.

I really hate it for the kid. I know he's going to be playing for the Vols, but I couldn't imagine not playing my Sr year of high school with my friends, for my community/school, and for a state title one last time. Sr year in high school football is a special thing.

Probably some of the best news UT could get on him. He has 12 months to get back into shape and soooo much better to happen now vs late in season. Good Luck Mr. Hurd. Get strong.

And he has already gotten his fifth star!!!!!!!!!!!

No one has considered if his injury is actually season ending. Did anyone think he has decided to not play this season so that he does not reaggravate it? If this is the case I would think this could only be good for us. He will be ready to go in January and anything he left behind from not playing this season will be gained by being trained by collegiate coaches.

I think I deserve some credit on this website. Most of what I have posted, albeit controversial, has rung true. I predicted that Hurd was too tall and lanky for the running back position, and that his running style is too "upright." So when he gets injured, everyone jumps all over me. I've been watching football for many years. I've seen players come and go, and I'm pretty good at predicting probable outcomes. I like Hurd as a safety or linebacker. I DO NOT like him at running back at the college level, especially in the SEC. A shorter, more compact running back would NOT have sustained this injury. He also got injured in the first quarter, but nobody wants to talk about this.

Well, again, your an idiot. It clearly states that the injury occured on his "3rd or Fourth carry", which was the very play your talking about. He proceeded to barrel over the Station Camp D, and lay the wood at Safety the rest of the game.

The injury is only a minor tear, in a completely different location of the shoulder. He could play Friday, if he wanted to. He is CHOOSING to not play the rest of his Senior season, so that he can be available for UT come January.

Go back and watch the play. The injury was not directly caused by his contact with the ground, but by the other player landing on his shoulder at the point of rotation, driving it into the ground and overextending the joint. Unless your "smaller, more compact" running back is also double-jointed, he would be...out for the season with surgery. Height has nothing to do with this injury. His last injury has to do with him carrying the ball 40 times a game for an entire year, and was a injury of chronic overuse. To put that in perspective, we expect a starting running back to carry the ball ~20 times a game. Upwards is thirty. He carried the ball as many times as some starting NFL backs in an entire season, plus playoffs.

Let me go ahead and debunk your other claims while I am at it. "Upright" runners, whilst not prototypical, are not sure fire disasters either. Notable "Upright" runners include: Hall of Famer (and fellow "tallback") Eric Dickerson, NFL back and Heisman winner Eddie George, current NFL leader Adrian Peterson, top 10 current NFL back Steven Jackson, and the list continues to go on and on.

The key to success as an "Upright" runner is to make your opponent hit angles off your body to reduce total impact of the hit upon the body. This is a trait that Mr. Hurd demonstrates time and again naturally, constantly taking just the right lean into tackles so that would-be-tacklers seem to just bounce right off of him.

Jalen Hurd is an expectional all-around athlete, but when you watch him, he has an obvious extra passion for the runningback position, and it translates on to the field. Every prospective running back could add a little more weight to their frames, and a few extra moves to avoid tackles would be a nice addition, but Hurd is overall an exceptional RB prospect. If the tear was in the same spot, I would agree that injury prone could be considered, but it is not a related tear, the previous injury is completely intact, and though the injury is minor, they are doing surgery not only to repair the tear, but to stabilize his shoulder now so that his body will be fully prepared for football come spring, and so that a chance for reinjury will be significantly reduced. You could make the argument that the Hurd we will get now will be even better, without the wear and tear of an entire football season (along with the inevitable playoffs he would have taken them to), and with a fully healed body. His senior season would have done nothing more for him from a technique or body standpoint but hurt him. Obviously, I wish he had not been injured and wish he could have shown out again this year, but this was a very smart move, and one that will pay dividends in his and UT's future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Injuries are bad

Often times, players return from an injury and are better players than prior to the injury. The break away from the game and a break from the work outs helps to refresh their bodies. It gives them much needed rest.

Gale Sayers had a knee injury and returned a much better player.

Drew Breeze had a shoulder injury and returned as a better player.

Manning had the neck injury and the much needed rest helped him get rid of some long nagging injuries.
Manning played so well that he earned the "Comeback Player of the Year" award.

A. Peterson had a season off due to a knee injury and he returned to earn the N.F.L. M.V.P. last season with a 2,000 yard season performance.

It would be perfect, if under the current situation, Hurd rested this season, then was able to be an "EE" and get on campus in early January. He could begin on the weight program as soon as he came on campus and be ready on day 1 of the season....

Well, again, your an idiot. It clearly states that the injury occured on his "3rd or Fourth carry", which was the very play your talking about. He proceeded to barrel over the Station Camp D, and lay the wood at Safety the rest of the game.

The injury is only a minor tear, in a completely different location of the shoulder. He could play Friday, if he wanted to. He is CHOOSING to not play the rest of his Senior season, so that he can be available for UT come January.

Go back and watch the play. The injury was not directly caused by his contact with the ground, but by the other player landing on his shoulder at the point of rotation, driving it into the ground and overextending the joint. Unless your "smaller, more compact" running back is also double-jointed, he would be...out for the season with surgery. Height has nothing to do with this injury. His last injury has to do with him carrying the ball 40 times a game for an entire year, and was a injury of chronic overuse. To put that in perspective, we expect a starting running back to carry the ball ~20 times a game. Upwards is thirty. He carried the ball as many times as some starting NFL backs in an entire season, plus playoffs.

Let me go ahead and debunk your other claims while I am at it. "Upright" runners, whilst not prototypical, are not sure fire disasters either. Notable "Upright" runners include: Hall of Famer (and fellow "tallback") Eric Dickerson, NFL back and Heisman winner Eddie George, current NFL leader Adrian Peterson, top 10 current NFL back Steven Jackson, and the list continues to go on and on.

The key to success as an "Upright" runner is to make your opponent hit angles off your body to reduce total impact of the hit upon the body. This is a trait that Mr. Hurd demonstrates time and again naturally, constantly taking just the right lean into tackles so that would-be-tacklers seem to just bounce right off of him.

Jalen Hurd is an expectional all-around athlete, but when you watch him, he has an obvious extra passion for the runningback position, and it translates on to the field. Every prospective running back could add a little more weight to their frames, and a few extra moves to avoid tackles would be a nice addition, but Hurd is overall an exceptional RB prospect. If the tear was in the same spot, I would agree that injury prone could be considered, but it is not a related tear, the previous injury is completely intact, and though the injury is minor, they are doing surgery not only to repair the tear, but to stabilize his shoulder now so that his body will be fully prepared for football come spring, and so that a chance for reinjury will be significantly reduced. You could make the argument that the Hurd we will get now will be even better, without the wear and tear of an entire football season (along with the inevitable playoffs he would have taken them to), and with a fully healed body. His senior season would have done nothing more for him from a technique or body standpoint but hurt him. Obviously, I wish he had not been injured and wish he could have shown out again this year, but this was a very smart move, and one that will pay dividends in his and UT's future.

Hellz yeah!

Can't wait for 2014 opener and Mr. Hurd sporting that Power T helmet lined up in the backfield!!!

No one has considered if his injury is actually season ending. Did anyone think he has decided to not play this season so that he does not reaggravate it? If this is the case I would think this could only be good for us. He will be ready to go in January and anything he left behind from not playing this season will be gained by being trained by collegiate coaches.

if you'd read the linked article you'd see thats exactly what happened.

Is it certain he will not return?

Is it certain he will not return?

From Jalen's mom on TOS.....

"Good morning, everyone.

There is a lot of speculation about Jalen's condition, so I wanted to let everyone know what is going on and what we've decided to do about this situation.

On his 3rd or 4th carry of the game Sunday, he fell in an awkward position with his arm stretched out over his head. As he hit the ground, another young man fell on top of him while he was in that position. I know that most people didn't even realize he was hurt (heck, I didn't) because he plays with such intensity, but he did hurt his shoulder due to the fall. He has a minor labrum tear in his right shoulder. This is not the same area that was repaired last time; that area is still very much intact.

The risk of him playing injured and causing further damage to that shoulder or the risk of him potentially hurting himself somewhere else because he would be playing injured is not something that we feel would be beneficial in any way to Jalen's future. So we have decided to go ahead and get this area repaired and also have this area stabilized to prevent future dislocations.
He will have this surgery very soon so that he will have adequate recovery time and so that he will be completely healed when he enrolls at UT in January.

This is obviously very disappointing to him, his team, etc, but he has had an extremely successful high school career and his main concern now is to being healthy for his Vols.

Thanks to everyone for your concern and support!"

credit to Vol74 of the Recruiting Forum

Edit: boldened area for Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
Often times, players return from an injury and are better players than prior to the injury. The break away from the game and a break from the work outs helps to refresh their bodies. It gives them much needed rest.

Gale Sayers had a knee injury and returned a much better player.

Drew Breeze had a shoulder injury and returned as a better player.

Manning had the neck injury and the much needed rest helped him get rid of some long nagging injuries.
Manning played so well that he earned the "Comeback Player of the Year" award.

A. Peterson had a season off due to a knee injury and he returned to earn the N.F.L. M.V.P. last season with a 2,000 yard season performance.

It would be perfect, if under the current situation, Hurd rested this season, then was able to be an "EE" and get on campus in early January. He could begin on the weight program as soon as he came on campus and be ready on day 1 of the season....

I don't think the injury made any of them better. I was attempting a little humor with the post but being hurt is never good.

From Jalen's mom on TOS.....

"Good morning, everyone.

There is a lot of speculation about Jalen's condition, so I wanted to let everyone know what is going on and what we've decided to do about this situation.

On his 3rd or 4th carry of the game Sunday, he fell in an awkward position with his arm stretched out over his head. As he hit the ground, another young man fell on top of him while he was in that position. I know that most people didn't even realize he was hurt (heck, I didn't) because he plays with such intensity, but he did hurt his shoulder due to the fall. He has a minor labrum tear in his right shoulder. This is not the same area that was repaired last time; that area is still very much intact.

The risk of him playing injured and causing further damage to that shoulder or the risk of him potentially hurting himself somewhere else because he would be playing injured is not something that we feel would be beneficial in any way to Jalen's future. So we have decided to go ahead and get this area repaired and also have this area stabilized to prevent future dislocations. He will have this surgery very soon so that he will have adequate recovery time and so that he will be completely healed when he enrolls at UT in January.

This is obviously very disappointing to him, his team, etc, but he has had an extremely successful high school career and his main concern now is to being healthy for his Vols.

Thanks to everyone for your concern and support!"

credit to Vol74 of the Recruiting Forum

This makes sense. It was sounding like he was bailing on his team to get healthy for the Vols but he actually needs surgery. It has to suck for him. Thanks

VN Store

Back