I’m a Volunteer on Saturday and a _______ on Sunday

Tell me who is your NFL team and why?

Figured the bye week was a good time to ask this.

I’m a Tennessee Volunteer on Saturday and a Detroit Lion on Sunday.

Born in Michigan but we moved to Knoxville when I was 2.
Probably would have become a Titan fan if they had existed back in the 70’s, but instead I started following the Lions unfortunately.

Atlanta Falcons fan on Sunday.

I lived in Macon, Georgia for four years from 1965 till 1969 and am a big Braves, Hawks and Falcons fan because of it.

Reactions: MAD
Vol on Saturday and Proud member of Steeler Nation on Sunday!! Growing up the only southern teams were the Falcons and the Saints and they both sucked. At the time (1975 when I first started following any football) most of my friends were Bama and Cowboy fans so naturally I levitated towards the Steelers (the most anti-Cowboy team at the time). Been a fan ever since.
I used to be a Steeler and LA Laker fan big time.
Now I don’t give a rats a$$ about the NFL or NBA really.
I’ll occasionally watch a game but usually has more about wanting to see certain players and a good matchup

Vols fan 7 days a week. Sorry, but I can not identify with a bunch of dirty millionaires who care less about our country and the average working class. Best thing I ever did was stop watching football on Sundays and paying attention to things that really matter. I did the same with baseball in the 1980’s.
1, you do realize the players in the NFL were all players in college just before, right?
2, you do realize that with NIL the Volunteers now have million players, right?

If you really do just want to pay attention to the things that matter, football should be nowhere on that list. It's fun to win and sad to lose and if I could make a deal with the almighty for cancer to be cured but would mean an end to football I would take that deal in a heartbeat. In the grand scheme of things, football game played by a bunch of kids doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoked and MAD
You never-NFLers should tune in for Manningcast once in a while. Peyton and Eli are hilarious and offer really cool insight into the game. Plus Peyton is always hyping the Vols... for instance tonight he's drinking from a Tennessee cup, and keeps complaining about NYG under-using Hyatt.
When the NFL went WOKE, I went Bye-Bye. To each his own, but I'm 100% done forever.
#GBO

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I was a 49ers fan going back to the Bill Walsh/ Montana/Jerry Rice days. I stayed with them until Kaepernick and the social justice agenda took over the league. I found there are better things to do on Sundays.

Vols everyday and Saints on Sunday. There were no Titans back then and lots of Vols play(ed) in Black&Gold.

Colts fan, but the ownership makes it hard to be a fan.
A lot of people didn’t like what they did with Peyton. I didn’t mind it. ThT team was very old and had to be reset eventually. They went all-in on trying to win one more Super Bowl, and when you do that, you either hard reset or limp along for years.

They historically haven’t done a great job of keeping relationships with past players, and it bothers me a lot. There are a few exceptions, like theJeff Saturday hire last year, but I didn’t hate it. Reich was the best choice on paper and checked a lot of boxes.

They have t done enough to support and promote Freeney or Reggie for HOF.

Right now Arizona for Dobbs. Don't really have a team in the NFL, or watch it much. I'll watch him though any chance I get.

Reactions: 508mikey and MAD
Been a Steelers fan since the mid 60’s. They were awful then. Saw the black and gold play Green Bay in Pittsburgh. Bart Starr was quarterback. Things got much better 70’s.
Back in the 70’s in Knoxville most people were either cheering for the Cowboys or the Steelers. That was a big rivalry.

Reactions: volmanjr
Tell me who is your NFL team and why?

Figured the bye week was a good time to ask this.

I’m a Tennessee Volunteer on Saturday and a Detroit Lion on Sunday.

Born in Michigan but we moved to Knoxville when I was 2.
Probably would have become a Titan fan if they had existed back in the 70’s, but instead I started following the Lions unfortunately.

Ok, Mad, you know the final answer for me, but I'll disclose my full history and risk you calling me a fan of all teams like @cobbwebb0710 .

I first became an NFL fan when by 5th grade math teacher offered bonus points for predicting the super bowl score. It was 49ers-Bengals and I had the score almost perfect before the 49ers game-winning drive. So, I became a 49ers fan for many years, until I realized that was pretty bandwagon. From then I couldn't get into local teams in places I lived (Boston: no thanks Pats, Texas: no dice cowboys).

In my mid-20s I was living in San Diego and became a Chargers fan for a while, until I thought they did Drew Brees dirty and I moved away.

When I moved to Knoxville in 2005, I was looking to find a permanent team and had my eye on the Titans (@VolPack22) and Falcons. Then in 2008 the Falcons drafted Matt Ryan (I'm a BC grad) and that was it, Falcons for me from now on for better or mostly worse.

Reactions: VolPack22 and MAD
This! Meanwhile they're missing the best players in the world play a game that we all love. It's so weird to me.
After sitting through that Monday night game, they are not missing much. Again, there is alot of really bad teams in the NFL this year. If it wasn't for fantasy football, how many of you would honestly still be a fan of the NFL?

The fact that college football doesnt need fantasy football to keep viewer interest, just proves it is the superior version of football.

The titans could hire Greg Schiano, Butch Jones or Jeremy Pruitt as the next head football coach and no one here would give a flying flip.

Last edited:
Ok, Mad, you know the final answer for me, but I'll disclose my full history and risk you calling me a fan of all teams like @cobbwebb0710 .

I first became an NFL fan when by 5th grade math teacher offered bonus points for predicting the super bowl score. It was 49ers-Bengals and I had the score almost perfect before the 49ers game-winning drive. So, I became a 49ers fan for many years, until I realized that was pretty bandwagon. From then I couldn't get into local teams in places I lived (Boston: no thanks Pats, Texas: no dice cowboys).

In my mid-20s I was living in San Diego and became a Chargers fan for a while, until I thought they did Drew Brees dirty and I moved away.

When I moved to Knoxville in 2005, I was looking to find a permanent team and had my eye on the Titans (@VolPack22) and Falcons. Then in 2008 the Falcons drafted Matt Ryan (I'm a BC grad) and that was it, Falcons for me from now on for better or mostly worse.
Respect ✊, and great story.

VN Store

Back