If Wilcox doesn't leave is Dooley still here?

He would have had almost all of the same personnel back plus some good players, running the same scheme, and against a somewhat easier schedule. It is a very good bet that Wilcox would have finished in the top 25% of the NCAA and top 4 or 5 of the SEC.

Before you get all jacked up... that would have put the Vols ahead of Vandy... who ran a similar style and philosophy of D with lesser players.

Wilcox's D avg'd 22.6 ppg. Even equalling that result gives UT at least 3 or 4 more wins. That would mean they avg'd more than two TD's more than their opponents... which is about what UF accomplished. But in fact the O might have scored more with a better D.

There are always bunches of "if's and but's"... BUT Wilcox was worth at least 3 wins IMO.

Can't argue with that at all. :eek:k: :hi:

Just admit it dude, you were wrong?

Is it that hard?

I can do it...

I was wrong about Dooley.
I was wrong about Bray being drafted
I was wrong about beating Mizoo and Vandy last year.
I was wrong about my x girlfriend.

It's not hard man, just get it out. You will feel much better.
I'm wrong almost all the time, as its the human condition. I was wrong about the same stuff as you. He doesn't handle being knocked off his high horse well.

Even with Wilcox, we would have had a slew of injuries on Defense but I think we would have won Missou, SC and a bowl. Also we might have actually showed up for the Vandy game.

But sometimes when D is good, coaches like Dooley would play a prevent offense and run the clock out on our opponents 40 with two minutes to go.

Probably I'm really happy he isn't even if CBJ doesn't work out.

50 seconds in the 4th.....ball on the 45.....tied ball game....."lets just run the clock out". If I was AD I would have ran down there and fired him then. So much hate for him for that.
First of all, there were 43 seconds left when we started on our own 39 yard line. There were 2 plays run before he decided to "run the clock out." One was an incompletion to Hunter. The other was a completion for zero yards to Lane, which was almost intercepted in the flat.
So, we were still on our own 39 yard line, facing 3rd and 10 with maybe 30 seconds to go. The previous possession in the 4th quarter, we had gained 2 yards on a run by Neal, and Bray threw 2 incompletions. Tennessee had gained 2 yards on its last 5 plays in 2 possessions with the game on the line. Bray had gone 1 for 4 for zero yards. This might help explain ( to a reasonable person) why Dooley chose to run the clock out, rather than run one more play. Nobody would have gone for it on 4th down on their own 39 with 22 seconds left after another Bray misfire.

First of all, there were 43 seconds left when we started on our own 39 yard line. There were 2 plays run before he decided to "run the clock out." One was an incompletion to Hunter. The other was a completion for zero yards to Lane, which was almost intercepted in the flat.
So, we were still on our own 39 yard line, facing 3rd and 10 with maybe 30 seconds to go. The previous possession in the 4th quarter, we had gained 2 yards on a run by Neal, and Bray threw 2 incompletions. Tennessee had gained 2 yards on its last 5 plays in 2 possessions with the game on the line. Bray had gone 1 for 4 for zero yards. This might help explain ( to a reasonable person) why Dooley chose to run the clock out, rather than run one more play. Nobody would have gone for it on 4th down on their own 39 with 22 seconds left after another Bray misfire.

Congrats! You're the only one that supports Dooleys decision to try to not win the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
As much as Dooley was not the answer and I hate to say it. Wilcox quite frankly could have been the difference in a nine win season. If TN had beat Florida and not fallen apart in the second half, the season would have been totally different, with the bend don't break they would have beat Florida. With a top 25 defense, which it would have been under Wilcox, we would still have Dooley.

2 things here:
1) "If 'Ifs and Buts' were candy and nuts, we'd be having a party"...Don Meredith
2) "If the queen would have had..."

I'm wrong almost all the time, as its the human condition. I was wrong about the same stuff as you. He doesn't handle being knocked off his high horse well.

You were wrong about my x girlfriend too?

That skank...

Congrats! You're the only one that supports Dooleys decision to try to not win the game.
We needed at least 30 yards to have a reasonable try at a field goal. That would have been a 47 yarder with Palardy at the wheel. We had 3rd down, so in effect one play to get 10 yards. We had gained 2 yards on our previous 5 plays. At that rate we would have needed an additional 25 plays to get the 10 yards, and 50 more plays to get the next 20 yards. So, 75 plays to get 30 yards at that rate. Bray did his usual fold at the end.

There was about 30 seconds to go, and Bray had choked his guts out on his last 4 passes for zero yards. I am glad that I can recognize a futile situation at hand, when no one else can. I neither support nor criticize Dooley's decision. I merely understand it. We were going to lose either way.

Does anyone else wish there was a way to completely delete Dooley's tenure at Tennessee? Brought nothing but anger, disappointment, and heartbreak.

Reactions: 3 people
Does anyone else wish there was a way to completely delete Dooley's tenure at Tennessee? Brought nothing but anger, disappointment, and heartbreak.
It doesn't bother me. Realistically, it was going to be a long road back regardless of who coached.

It doesn't bother me. Realistically, it was going to be a long road back regardless of who coached.

Agreed, but it's unfortunate the way we finished last year. Because our record did not reflect the level of talent we had. If we had just a decent defense last year, I think we would've finished at least 9-3 and possibly 10-2. It's a shame really.

Agreed, but it's unfortunate the way we finished last year. Because our record did not reflect the level of talent we had. If we had just a decent defense last year, I think we would've finished at least 9-3 and possibly 10-2. It's a shame really.
Can't argue with that.

I would've died from old age by the time Dooley would have had a 10 win season and I'm 29. The road won't be as long as some think, we just needed a leader in here to instill that winning attitude again.

The real question is why Wilcox left. He did want his wagon hitched to Dooley any longer. I always said that UT should have fired dools after the UK loss and immediately promote Wilcox. He'll have a HC job in a few years.

Hindsight being what it is, I agree with this statement. I think it would have sent us to a bowl last year but I don't really want to be a destination for another rookie coach to cut his teeth, not for a while anyway.

"To qualify a statement" means to make a change or add a nuance that didn't exist in the original statement. When I proved to you that the Vols finished the 2011 season ranked 28th in Total D you changed your statement by claiming you didn't mean the end of the season just an arbitrary point during the season that makes your statement look correct. You see this kind of thing a lot with schoolkids, not the upper grades so much, but still...

Spud, he's a bammer.

Stupid is as stupid does.

A snake bit coach like Dooley was never going to win here. This train wreck happened, Hazmat (CBJ) has arrived to clean it up. Enuff said!

The real question is why Wilcox left. He did want his wagon hitched to Dooley any longer. I always said that UT should have fired dools after the UK loss and immediately promote Wilcox. He'll have a HC job in a few years.

Wow! The human brain is fascinating.

I think Hyams is hitting the boards starting topics again. Either that or slow news day. Football time clearly cannot get here fast enough.

VN Store

Back