If Wilcox doesn't leave is Dooley still here?

I think Hyams is hitting the boards starting topics again. Either that or slow news day. Football time clearly cannot get here fast enough.

You volunteering to start a better one? :)

It is the off season. But seriously, if you have something better, lay it out there.

Reactions: 2 people
You volunteering to start a better one? :)

It is the off season. But seriously, if you have something better, lay it out there.

Ouch. Slapdown by the head cheese. I've made my once a year sarcastic Hyams reference. I'll hang up and listen...or just read from afar and lay low again.

I think it's obvious Dooley was never meant to be our head coach...some things just aren't meant to be and now we have a guy that I believe will bring us better days! So stop using what if questions, BELIEVE in coach Jones and GO BIG ORANGE!!

Yes. Dave Hart knew what he was doing bringing in Sal.
Its comical to hear people say Hart hired Sal. Is this the same Hart that hired CBJ? Is there some inside scoop concerning the Hart-Sal scenario. Oh yeah that's right, Tony Basilio so its true.

First off, I don't 'luv' any coach. But neither do I jump on a haters bandwagon ust because a coach looses. They just need to be replaced.

That said ... Absolutely yes. Dooley would have still been here if Wilcox hadn't left. Or, for that matter, possibly if any other DC available had been hired. It was Sunseri who couldn't get it done. If anyone knows the truth of that I'm sure we'd all like to know. Why was it he didn't get the D to produce? He obviously had been around long enough to know the Xs & Os.

Wilcox plain and simple moved home. Most folks would for comparable money. He now lives within a few miles of his home place so he 'improved his quality of life'. Sirmon followed him home back to the far north west. Russel went to Wazzu to have only the responsibility of special teams and be Assistant HC whereas at Tennessee he split special teams and tight ends, in other words he got a better offer. Bennie Wylie the strength coach did pretty much the same thing.... "Wylie was on the verge of doing things for the Vols, but strangely enough a bigger check was written, and he all but skipped back to the Lone Star State." So, ... he also got a better offer. So there's four out of the seven who didn't "jump ship" as so many are wont to say. They just got a better deal. I haven't checked out the rest, I'm sure a couple did 'jump ship', but by no means all.

So Dooley wound up with virtually all new assistants, and especially a DC who couldn't connect with the players.

Dooley's recruiting was (what shall we say) ... different? He did get "Mount" McCullers, and "Catch Me if You Can" Patterson among others. And I don't believe any NCAA coach alive would have left off recruiting his own state for long, not even Dooley ...remember he pretty much had to build a team out of scratch, and the pickin's were slim in Tennessee.

But the offense was the (what?) second or third most prolific in putting points on the board in Volunteer history. Give that offense even a reasonably good defense and every game they played last year would have been different, and they would have won several more games. Several.

But ...

Dooley broke his hip (and anyone who has had to live with pain knows how it don't make you the most friendly face in the crowd, constant pain clouds your reason). Why in the world they medical staff didn't find that out sooner we'll never know. Dooley had a new Training Facility to worry about.

Seven new assistants and Sunseri was obviously the wrong man by the 2nd half of the Florida game. And why was it so hard for the defense to pick up the 3-4, as we've all heard "It ain't rocket science!" ALL FOUR TEAMS in this years BCS CG and Super Bowl ran the 3-4.

Clowney made that one blindside hit on Tyler after Tiny Richardson held him in check all game.

ahhh .. I'd hoped that Derek Dooley could be the man. I think most of us did. As far as game day coaching, I don't know any coach, even successful ones, who haven't made their fair share of boners. Look at Les Miles. He tries a trick play that fails and grins at the camera! In the Missouri game, after putting up enough points to win any game if the defense had shown up, the offense wasn't executing on that last couple of series. But wasting the timeouts and time and going for the tie was the wrong thing to do. That was when I finally decided he was the wrong man to coach the Volunteers. Even if we had won in OT. Dooley, well, he's just the unluckiest college coach I've ever seen. Some of that he brought on himself, but not all by any stretch of the imagination. I don't hate him, I actually feel sorry for him and what his kids had to endure at school the last few months.

Now, that era of watching an unlucky man having to stomp out wildfires while trying to set up a stable program is hopefully gone forever. If CBJ, Bajakian and Jancek are good SEC game day coaches, it is.
Either you are Dooley or you are the biggest Dooley apologist I have ever met. Ever. Ever.

Reactions: 1 person
First off, I don't 'luv' any coach. But neither do I jump on a haters bandwagon ust because a coach looses. They just need to be replaced.

That said ... Absolutely yes. Dooley would have still been here if Wilcox hadn't left. Or, for that matter, possibly if any other DC available had been hired. It was Sunseri who couldn't get it done. If anyone knows the truth of that I'm sure we'd all like to know. Why was it he didn't get the D to produce? He obviously had been around long enough to know the Xs & Os.

Wilcox plain and simple moved home. Most folks would for comparable money. He now lives within a few miles of his home place so he 'improved his quality of life'. Sirmon followed him home back to the far north west. Russel went to Wazzu to have only the responsibility of special teams and be Assistant HC whereas at Tennessee he split special teams and tight ends, in other words he got a better offer. Bennie Wylie the strength coach did pretty much the same thing.... "Wylie was on the verge of doing things for the Vols, but strangely enough a bigger check was written, and he all but skipped back to the Lone Star State." So, ... he also got a better offer. So there's four out of the seven who didn't "jump ship" as so many are wont to say. They just got a better deal. I haven't checked out the rest, I'm sure a couple did 'jump ship', but by no means all.

So Dooley wound up with virtually all new assistants, and especially a DC who couldn't connect with the players.

Dooley's recruiting was (what shall we say) ... different? He did get "Mount" McCullers, and "Catch Me if You Can" Patterson among others. And I don't believe any NCAA coach alive would have left off recruiting his own state for long, not even Dooley ...remember he pretty much had to build a team out of scratch, and the pickin's were slim in Tennessee.

But the offense was the (what?) second or third most prolific in putting points on the board in Volunteer history. Give that offense even a reasonably good defense and every game they played last year would have been different, and they would have won several more games. Several.

But ...

Dooley broke his hip (and anyone who has had to live with pain knows how it don't make you the most friendly face in the crowd, constant pain clouds your reason). Why in the world they medical staff didn't find that out sooner we'll never know. Dooley had a new Training Facility to worry about.

Seven new assistants and Sunseri was obviously the wrong man by the 2nd half of the Florida game. And why was it so hard for the defense to pick up the 3-4, as we've all heard "It ain't rocket science!" ALL FOUR TEAMS in this years BCS CG and Super Bowl ran the 3-4.

Clowney made that one blindside hit on Tyler after Tiny Richardson held him in check all game.

ahhh .. I'd hoped that Derek Dooley could be the man. I think most of us did. As far as game day coaching, I don't know any coach, even successful ones, who haven't made their fair share of boners. Look at Les Miles. He tries a trick play that fails and grins at the camera! In the Missouri game, after putting up enough points to win any game if the defense had shown up, the offense wasn't executing on that last couple of series. But wasting the timeouts and time and going for the tie was the wrong thing to do. That was when I finally decided he was the wrong man to coach the Volunteers. Even if we had won in OT. Dooley, well, he's just the unluckiest college coach I've ever seen. Some of that he brought on himself, but not all by any stretch of the imagination. I don't hate him, I actually feel sorry for him and what his kids had to endure at school the last few months.

Now, that era of watching an unlucky man having to stomp out wildfires while trying to set up a stable program is hopefully gone forever. If CBJ, Bajakian and Jancek are good SEC game day coaches, it is.

Wow just wow

Ouch. Slapdown by the head cheese. I've made my once a year sarcastic Hyams reference. I'll hang up and listen...or just read from afar and lay low again.

I dont think the thread is all that bad for July, but it wasn't meant to be a slapdown at all. Just trying to encourage you. Post often. :hi:

Wilcox and Sirmon were always going back home to the pacific NW. Seeing what they were up against and the opportunity with Sark was a no brainer.
Sometimes, the right answer is the easiest one and without conspiracy.

Moot point. Wilcox wasn't going to work for Dooley for another year if we had paid him $10 million to do so. He would have crawled to Washington if he had to.

Wasn't meant to be a slapdown at all. Just trying to encourage you. Post often. :hi:

I figured as much. I used to dwell in the politics section causing a ruckus over there. Spent too much time posting in the FB forum and politics forum. Job pulled me away. Wife forced me away. VN was my mistress. I'll be back posting more during the season. Thanks for the encouragement. I do feel honored for getting the rare Freak reply though. You've done an amazing job with this place over the years.

I figured as much. I used to dwell in the politics section causing a ruckus over there. Spent too much time posting in the FB forum and politics forum. Job pulled me away. Wife forced me away. VN was my mistress. I'll be back posting more during the season. Thanks for the encouragement. I do feel honored for getting the rare Freak reply though. You've done an amazing job with this place over the years.

I think this place has done well despite my efforts to screw it up, but thanks.

I actually hear the mistress line quite a bit. :lol: Look forward to seeing you post more.

And were in the 60s the year before that

The 3-4 doesn't really change anything for the secondary. UT's secondary was terrible last year. And it wasn't great in '11 either.

3-4 doesn't really change anything for the secondary? Ignorant, perhaps willfully, statement. It absolutely changes things for the secondary when you change the front 7 to a scheme that fits your personnel. Allows them to play quicker, more aggressive and better. Should be able to bring more pressure. Absolutely should affect the secondary. Plus, losing Dools and Buddy Hackett completely changes the dynamic of how our defense should play now that they have competent D1 football coaches.

The offseason continues....

I've never understood why people get their panties in a wad over a thread like this in the off-season. It's the perfect time to discuss "What-If" scenarios, and generally, those kinds of threads generate some funny - and sometimes even interesting - discussion.

See Gruden. Soon.

Fact is, we would still have the Bamboo Farmer if Wilcox stays. Fortunately, the Bamboo Farmer was the primary reason Wilcox et al left. Karma is a biyotch.

It doesn't bother me. Realistically, it was going to be a long road back regardless of who coached.

Respectfully disagree. He was given a tough hand, which he asked for and was handsomely paid to correct. However, a competent coach would've had us much further down the road.... not post 4 wins in year 3 and leave the roster low on talent and depleted of depth. Not to mention a losing culture after 3 consecutive losing seasons for the first time since before the First World War.

Heard an interesting stat yesterday.... every coach that has won an SEC title since the SEC championship game was implemented in the early 90s has won AT LEAST 9 games their SECOND year, regardless of the grease fire they inherited/took over.... Dools won 9 games his last 2 years COMBINED. Hiring the right head coach matters.

Last edited:
First of all, there were 43 seconds left when we started on our own 39 yard line. There were 2 plays run before he decided to "run the clock out." One was an incompletion to Hunter. The other was a completion for zero yards to Lane, which was almost intercepted in the flat.
So, we were still on our own 39 yard line, facing 3rd and 10 with maybe 30 seconds to go. The previous possession in the 4th quarter, we had gained 2 yards on a run by Neal, and Bray threw 2 incompletions. Tennessee had gained 2 yards on its last 5 plays in 2 possessions with the game on the line. Bray had gone 1 for 4 for zero yards. This might help explain ( to a reasonable person) why Dooley chose to run the clock out, rather than run one more play. Nobody would have gone for it on 4th down on their own 39 with 22 seconds left after another Bray misfire.

I often wonder if Dooley had done what everyone says he should have done and Bray threw an interception that was ran back for a TD just how many people would be screaming he should have ran the clock out and took his chances in overtime.

I often wonder if Dooley had done what everyone says he should have done and Bray threw an interception that was ran back for a TD just how many people would be screaming he should have ran the clock out and took his chances in overtime.

Instead we get to see what everyone said after Dooley quit, took the strength of his team off the field in a favorable situation and decided to rely on the worst defense in school history in overtime.

Instead we get to see what everyone said after Dooley quit, took the strength of his team off the field in a favorable situation and decided to rely on the worst defense in school history in overtime.

Maybe, but Dooley is not the first coach to decide to take his chances in overtime and won`t be the last.

making-no-money.jpg

Its comical to hear people say Hart hired Sal. Is this the same Hart that hired CBJ? Is there some inside scoop concerning the Hart-Sal scenario. Oh yeah that's right, Tony Basilio so its true.

I think it is very reasonable to assume that Hart had a big role in hiring Sunseri. Everyone makes mistakes. Most "experts" thought Sal was a "homerun" hire. Unless it was completely mismanaged, Dooley had veto authority. But it is no stretch to suggest that the relationship between Hart and Sunseri at Bama had nothing to do with him being favored.

Maybe, but Dooley is not the first coach to decide to take his chances in overtime and won`t be the last.

Dooley is the first coach, however, to lead UT to 3 straight losing seasons. And the first UT coach to post a 17% winning percentage in the SEC. But yeah, I'm sure an assistant coach would have made a big difference.

VN Store

Back