If Worley starts...

This thread reminds of the Jonathan Crompton talk on VN during the 2009 season.

I trust the coaches will play the qb that gives us the best chance to win.

We have not been able to see what the freshmen can do but from what I have saw between Worley and Peterman I would go with Worley.

When our #2 qb cannot lead the team to a touchdown during an entire half against a team as bad as Austin Peay, he is not ready for primetime.

no way in hades Worely is better than both true freshmen...in that case they would both be epic busts.....there are ikely many true freshmen in CFB much bettr than Worely is at this point

yea but they aren't at UT crunch,i don't think CBJ wants to burn the freshmens redshirts,i don't think they have took a QB in this years recruitment

yea but they aren't at UT crunch,i don't think CBJ wants to burn the freshmens redshirts,i don't think they have took a QB in this years recruitment

This whole don't burn the redshirts thing is getting ridiculous...what if we didn't burn Worely's redshrt that year...he would evevn be worse than he is now...hard to imagine i know...

Reactions: 1 person
I have saw that the Freshmen may be looked at during the off week. I don't see either Freshman getting any playing time before then unless Worley and Peterman are both knocked out of a game.

if Worey starts... I have to qustion the guts of this staff after all of those 4th and 1s last week that we didn't even try to run a QB sneek...just saying...i don't have blind loyalty to anyone anymore after the Dooley fiasco

Wake me up when it's 2015 and this team has the depth to compete in the SEC!

I was in Athens when Shuler came in to replace Colquitt and performed beyond expectations. Also remember Andy Kelly coming in for Sterling Henton and playing like he had been the starter for years. But both those men had experience working with the system and the coaches for at least a year before becoming the starter.

We've got Peterman and two freshman backing Worley up. None of them have the extensive experience in the offense Kelly and Shuler had when their names were called by Majors.

If I were the coach, then it would take something special to convince me to replace the starter who has demonstrated in practice the most complete knowledge of the system and the ability to operate it with the fewest mistakes with someone whose only advantage is talent. Talent alone at quarterback is not enough to win a game against superior opposition.

Worley may not win games for us. But he will generally not be at fault for losing games due to turnovers. Against a Florida team prone to turnovers, we've got to have the quarterback in place who will not make the mistakes giving them a short field to play with.

If we win, then we're going to win it in a way General Neyland would be very familiar with. They may own us between the twenties. But if Tennessee can force them to go on long drives, then the odds are UF will give us an opportunity to "play for and make the breaks" due to their lack of fundamental discipline on offense.

Coach Jones is going to go with the guy at quarterback who doesn't get us beat. Against this Florida team, that isn't a bad decision.

Always better to go down swinging than to die quietly, curled up in a ball, whimpering.

Last edited:
I was in Athens when Shuler came in to replace Colquitt and performed beyond expectations. Also remember Andy Kelly coming in for Sterling Henton and playing like he had been the starter for years. But both those men had experience working with the system and the coaches for at least a year before becoming the starter.

We've got Peterman and two freshman backing Worley up. None of them have the extensive experience in the offense Kelly and Shuler had when their names were called by Majors.

If I were the coach, then it would take something special to convince me to replace the starter who has demonstrated in practice the most complete knowledge of the system and the ability to operate it with the fewest mistakes with someone whose only advantage is talent. Talent alone at quarterback is not enough to win a game against superior opposition.

Worley may not win games for us. But he will generally not be at fault for losing games due to turnovers. Against a Florida team prone to turnovers, we've got to have the quarterback in place who will not make the mistakes giving them a short field to play with.

If we win, then we're going to win it in a way General Neyland would be very familiar with. They may own us between the twenties. But if Tennessee can force them to go on long drives, then the odds are UF will give us an opportunity to "play for and make the breaks" due to their lack of fundamental discipline on offense.

Coach Jones is going to go with the guy at quarterback who doesn't get us beat. Against this Florida team, that isn't a bad decision.

Unfortunately, not moving the ball at all gets us beat just as much as throwing picks. I'd much rather have 15 first downs with a pick than 4 first downs while cautiously protecting the ball. Sometimes, you just have to make plays. The "special" thing it would take to convince me to replace the starter is the starter's inability to make plays. (It's kind of like a pitcher who never walks anybody. 37 hits in 3 innings, but he didn't hurt himself by walking anybody.)

The strange thing to me is that Butch doesn't talk like that. Sure, he says "minimize mistakes", but then he says we can't win without "big splash plays".

This whole don't burn the redshirts thing is getting ridiculous...what if we didn't burn Worely's redshrt that year...he would evevn be worse than he is now...hard to imagine i know...

I'm not sure that's really true...you could say he "might" have been worse, but saying he definitively "would" have been worse well isn't really accurate/true

Last edited:
Let's be honest:
Overall, Worley has not been an accurate passer in games. Video shows that he seldom has been. He has had a couple of games where his stats make him look like he was accurate, but video shows something different. He appears to a great kid and an adequate leader, but he is not an accurate passer. Unfortunately, wishing that he were more accurate won't make it so. He wasn't accurate in prior years either and threw an inordinate number of interceptions. Thankfully INT's haven't been an outcome this year thus far. But, if the accuracy does not improve, INT's will start showing again.

For the argument that he is under too much pressure:
If a QB has to have little or no pressure from the defense to be accurate, then Butch better find a pause switch (like the old electric football game) to realign the rush before switching it back on so Worley can make a better pass.

Regarding receivers being in the wrong position or running wrong routes as the cause for a lack of passing game:
Did Dallas, Carter, Howard, and Blanc have route problems last year that caused inaccuracies for Bray? If not, then why not play them over freshmen? This is a convenient excuse for a while, but Worley needs to hit more receivers or stop playing freshmen WRs.

Let's be honest:
Overall, Worley has not been an accurate passer in games. Video shows that he seldom has been. He has had a couple of games where his stats make him look like he was accurate, but video shows something different. He appears to a great kid and an adequate leader, but he is not an accurate passer. Unfortunately, wishing that he were more accurate won't make it so. He wasn't accurate in prior years either and threw an inordinate number of interceptions. Thankfully INT's haven't been an outcome this year thus far. But, if the accuracy does not improve, INT's will start showing again.

For the argument that he is under too much pressure:
If a QB has to have little or no pressure from the defense to be accurate, then Butch better find a pause switch (like the old electric football game) to realign the rush before switching it back on so Worley can make a better pass.

Regarding receivers being in the wrong position or running wrong routes as the cause for a lack of passing game:
Did Dallas, Carter, Howard, and Blanc have route problems last year that caused inaccuracies for Bray? If not, then why not play them over freshmen? This is a convenient excuse for a while, but Worley needs to hit more receivers or stop playing freshmen WRs.

Agreed. I think many see it. I think a lot of the Worley support is in reality Butch and staff support. Which is fair also.

Just to be fair here, I think losing three slot receivers had an impact on the game plan and performance against Oregon.

I feel like I'm coming across like a huge Worley homer, and I'm really not. But based in everything I've heard and read I just think he is still the logical choice to start tomorrow.

I agree and if Butch were to start a freshman and he screwed up then the legions of the miserable would be screaming for Butch and the staff to be fired and want to run the kid out of town...It's a lose lose situation for some.

He's certainly capable. But to me, playing your starting running back at slot just amplifies the problem.

It's not ideal but neither is our offense. Their point was Lane has done well and Neal has great hands. They may literally be our 2 most explosive guys. If on occassion Neal was in the slot it gives you another offensive wrinkle, bolsters your thin slot reciever options, and puts your 2 best offensive weapons on the field at one time.
In that respect I like the creativity and the goal. I wish we saw more things like this from Bajakian. I mentioned in the same thread that while Chaney was predictable and frustrating he was typically predictable in at least trying to get the ball in the hands of our best players. I think when your offense is poor/bad that's sometimes the only recipe worth exploring.

Did we leave Peterman in Oregon?

Post of the thread IMO.

Vol fans are just tired of seeing the same ole same old. I find that recording the game and watching the playback while focusing on one position or area is useful. Unless Worley has learned how to step into a throw correctly, can get the ball off a half count earlier with accuracy, and can run for 5 yards without falling down or getting killed - then he is not the Vol QB of the future.

If Worley starts, it is because the staff is focused on what happens the second half of this season or next year. So they expect to lose, but gain experience for the team playing the new system. If they choose Peterman, they think he can be the QB of the future and are willing to let him sink or swim because if he does well in the swamp he wins the job. Personally I think they want Ferguson to be the man starting next season or the one after that, which is why they want Worley to do better. That is just a hunch.

I agree and if Butch were to start a freshman and he screwed up then the legions of the miserable would be screaming for Butch and the staff to be fired and want to run the kid out of town...It's a lose lose situation for some.

I'll speak for myself. I want to see Ferg play. I would rather it not be the 1st snap of the UF game. I do believe he should have seen snaps against AP & WKU though. Whenever it happens though if he goes out and throws 3 consecutive picks or has a horrible showing I'm just going to drink my beer and know we are in for a longer ride than ever and that Butch has 0 options at QB that aren't either too young/green or just not good. For now since we haven't seen them at all it's a question mark. Especially if they continue the charade of a read option scheme with a QB that will never tuck and run.

All of you Worley haters out there

Why aren't you talking about our overrated offensive line? They have not played like the best OL in the country not even close.

Why do you wish Worley to fail?

Your post make it sound like that if Worley plays you hope he goes 6-20 with 3 interceptions.

Me I hope he goes 24-25 for 382 yards and 4 TD's.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back