I've hesitated to post this thread, but someone has to speak out.

I don’t know what magic you possess, but somehow your telepathy has nailed down my biggest political motivation: eagle and turtle eggs. All of us “guys” are creating a mass conspiracy to imprison you “guys” because we all know how much you love smashing eagle eggs.
I'm asking a question, and you can't seem to answer. The same people who are all for abortion, are for laws protecting eggs of animals. You're arguing about when a fetus is a life, but think soon as a turtle lays an egg it should be protected. I'm asking to explain that thought process. Obviously, you're going to jump all around it.

Once again child is a broad category. It would encompass from fertilization on. Terms like zygote or fetus are more specific to time frame. The same with terms like neonate, toddler, teen, etc.

Child is a broad category for all of those
Noted, thanks. Yes and that's why definitions are useful.

I'm asking a question, and you can't seem to answer. The same people who are all for abortion, are for laws protecting eggs of animals. You're arguing about when a fetus is a life, but think soon as a turtle lays an egg it should be protected. I'm asking to explain that thought process. Obviously, you're going to jump all around it.

Oh I'm sure that if humans were an endangered species they're tune would change.

Reactions: joevol33
Since when have such laws been on the books?
In Tennessee since 1989 although there were similar laws before that year. 2014 was the first year in the state that mothers who were drug addicts could be charged for injuring their unborn babies

Do we agree a fertilized egg is alive?
It's made up of living cells, which in no way means it's a separate life.
My earlobe is made up of living cells, but I don't really view it as a separate human living on the side of my head.

It's made up of living cells, which in no way means it's a separate life.
My earlobe is made up of living cells, but I don't really view it as a separate human living on the side of my head.

Your ear cells do not have their own unique DNA.

What’s the difference between your gut bacteria and a fertilized egg. Why would you only consider one of those to be a separate life?

Reactions: creekdipper
That is a very valid question. I'd say yes.

That was my point to the previous poster. He seemed to be falsely defining life in order to confirm his position on abortion rather than starting from the opposite. It would be equivalent to starting with “how can I claim Jews aren’t alive” to justify the Holocaust

That was my point to the previous poster. He seemed to be falsely defining life in order to confirm his position on abortion rather than starting from the opposite. It would be equivalent to starting with “how can I claim Jews aren’t alive” to justify the Holocaust
I hadn't seen his definition. Some people do take a different view though.
edit: They are both alive, but neither can survive outside their host environment.

Reactions: luthervol
Some doctors say fetus and some say child or use another term. I doubt doctors are being disingenuous when they use the terms they do. But that doesn't change the definition. I wouldn't consider myself a father in case of miscarriage. Child indicates the fetus has completed childbirth (there's a clue) if we stick to definition. A fetus is potentially a child but hasn't gotten there yet.

You're dead set, I see that. Just out of curiosity, at what stage of development do you consider a fetus to be a child?
FYI…if our doctor would have ever referred to our unborn child as a “fetus”, we would have been looking for a new doctor.

What’s the difference between your gut bacteria and a fertilized egg. Why would you only consider one of those to be a separate life?
I don't really consider either as a separate life.
I also do not believe that unique DNA = separate life.

I hadn't seen his definition. Some people do take a different view though.
edit: They are both alive, but neither can survive outside their host environment.

The issue with claiming he doesn’t consider it alive until birth is that prior to birth the child could survive outside the host.

Who would consider only one to be?

I don't really consider either as a separate life.
I also do not believe that unique DNA = separate life.

@EasternVol, meet @luthervol. The man willing to lie and manipulate to any possible level in order to justify anything/everything left wing.

Your earlobe doesn't have a heartbeat. Your earlobe won't develop into anything but an earlobe.

I assumed he was claiming gut bacteria is not a separate life form also. Which is even more insane.

I also love the idea of a CSI episode with Luther.

Other agent: We found 2 separate strands of DNA in the sample

Luther: Must be from the same person!

VN Store

Back