John Chavis for DC?

Totally agree. His defenses have gotten better every year. Unfortunately injuries really hurt this year. Losing Pili, who was supposed to start at MLB, and then losing Hadden, our best DB, didn’t help. Also our upperclassmen that remained after Pruitt have mostly disappointed. Just not high SEC level talent. Hopefully the young DBs will step it up next year after a year learning and lifting in our program. It’s tough playing defense when your offense doesn’t hold the ball long. We still don’t have the depth we need to compete at a high level, since our guys are on the field so much. I think we will improve next season with better depth and with the experience gained by our young LBs.
Boo at safety would sure be fun to watch. I think once we get the right athletes in the secondary and get them at least two deep, Banks will suddenly be recognized as a “genius”

We just watched this scenario on offense. Hype was a genius last year with all the NFL talent on that side of the ball and now, people are questioning if he's the right man for the job......lol! Players make coaches look good.
No doubt, which is why it was so hard to watch the vols and not scream obscenities most of the game. There's no argument that Hendon and Hyatt were missed this year.

Reactions: FollowTheLeader
It cannot be done, but my dream for DC would be Phil Parker. I don't think there's enough money to get him to leave Iowa.

Just so you know Josh feels like his staff meets your criteria. With that knowledge, perhaps these threads will go away?

Naw, that won't happen.
Of course not. As long as breath is allowed in human lungs everyone will have an opinion.

What do you guys think about bringing Chief back John Chavis? He was a great DC and is still young enough and has a few good coaching years left he would def be a upgrade over Tim Banks
Man, hell no. Y’all have lost your minds.

People keep thinking we need to find a new DC.

We don't. We have a DC.

And contrary to the opinions of a vocal minority in these boards (who keep making new threads about it), he's a really good one.

Go Vols!
Defense actually improved from last year. Just maybe upgrade DB or teach them to turn their head when the ball is in the air. Injuries hurt us at DB as season went along.

Here are the rankings for his defenses the last five years of his career. I think I notice a trend in the numbers…..
2015-30th
2016-40th
2017-87th
2018-108th
2019-124th
Don’t go bringing up things like facts, stats, or just damn common sense into a thread like this. If the OP is even a Vol fan he was likely dropped on his head at birth and possibly bounced a few times for good measure.

Here are the rankings for his defenses the last five years of his career. I think I notice a trend in the numbers…..
2015-30th
2016-40th
2017-87th
2018-108th
2019-124th
Yes, and I think it’s funny people leave out his last two years when he was at Arkansas with dramatically less talent than he had the previous two stops. Kind like Banks has dramatically less talent as the teams Chavis had at Tennessee, LSU, A&M

Defense actually improved from last year. Just maybe upgrade DB or teach them to turn their head when the ball is in the air. Injuries hurt us at DB as season went along.
That’s where I’m at. I think a sharp, young DB coach is where you start. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. Our D line has been a bright spot and injuries at Lb have hurt us. But these guys have to turn their heads around.

That’s where I’m at. I think a sharp, young DB coach is where you start. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. Our D line has been a bright spot and injuries at Lb have hurt us. But these guys have to turn their heads around.
You start with some talent in the secondary.

VN Store

Back