Justin Worley to start against Austin Peay

Simms/Bray situation all over. Let the less talented upperclassman take you through a couple of tough games as the starter while the younger more talented freshman gets his feet wet and gets settled in.

You think Butch gonna take a play outta Dooley's book?

Reactions: 1 person
Worley is the veteran, he saw action in Ia Drang Valley againt the South Carolina gooks and the Commodor geeks. He earned his spot at the point and is going to Peay down Austin Peay's throat.
Go Vols

Reactions: 2 people
Dooley's book was unreadable ... in Braille or something.

Simms was horrible. It was a no brainer even for Dooley. Thankfully, it appears Butch has better options.

Personally I like to believe Butch is going with Worley cause he gives them the best chance at the moment. If Worley chokes it away...next man up.

If they blow a redshirt on either of the freshman in the first game it is very obvious IMO that there is no way they believe in Worley as a season long solution.

It looks like only one of the freshman might redshirt and right now it looks like its going to be Dobbs.

I called this 2 weeks ago. CBJ was not going to name the starter until game week because he wanted to keep the competition between all 4 QB's going and to make sure each QB was giving their best focus and effort each and every day during fall camp. Now that camp is over and we are focusing on getting ready for AP, he is able to name the starter.

I'm not sure why you think CBJ not actually coming out and naming the starter so early means that Worley sucks. If anyone would have simply paid attention, Worley has been running with the ones since camp started. That alone should have told you that he would be the starter, duh! :crazy:

Smokescreen that Gruden had to approve.

SURE!!! lets burn as many redshirts as we possibly can in the very first game against possibly the worst team any SEC team will play this year. IS THAT YOU DOOLEY???

You do realize you can play freshman in the first 4 games as long as you keep it under a certain percentage and still redshirt them. It wouldn't be burning anything that's when you give them a look if your going to do it. I'm sure you knew that though...

LOL at the guys still posting that this is all just temporary because Dobbs is the long term plan...have you heard anything positive about Dobbs from Butch since fall practice began? He's not even the best true freshman QB we have based on performance thus far. Jones has said repeatedly that Ferguson has been impressive...He needs a year in the weightroom then look out. Dobbs is definitely faster but we aren't talking about DBs. Regardless of whose "system" is being used, the most important aspect of a QB is his abillity to read, react, and THROW the ball to the guys in orange. I'm glad we have Dobbs, just don't understand why some here think he is Johhny Football...

Yea that was not a suprise but I think Worley will be ready he's waited in line now its his turn to lead our vols. I really do hope it works out for him he seams like a good young man. GO VOLS!

Reactions: 3 people
LOL at the guys still posting that this is all just temporary because Dobbs is the long term plan...have you heard anything positive about Dobbs from Butch since fall practice began? He's not even the best true freshman QB we have based on performance thus far. Jones has said repeatedly that Ferguson has been impressive...He needs a year in the weightroom then look out. Dobbs is definitely faster but we aren't talking about DBs. Regardless of whose "system" is being used, the most important aspect of a QB is his abillity to read, react, and THROW the ball to the guys in orange. I'm glad we have Dobbs, just don't understand why some here think he is Johhny Football...

Dobbs got the first shot at Worley this fall and yes... Jones paid him some strong compliments. Ferguson got the second shot and that's why you have heard about him lately.

The Fr were getting 1st team reps. They were trying to win one of the top 2 spots. It does not seem they beat Worley for #1. I am now interested to see if Jones thinks either caught and passed Peterman for #2.

Reactions: 2 people
Not surprised at all. Worley will have a great showing vs AP and Ferguson will look good late. Can't wait till Saturday!

I find this a little upsetting. Worley had the entire off season to win the job but never could really do that. This just feels like we're naming him the starter bc nobody really won it outright, and we're a few days from kickoff.
I just hate that the last I saw him play was last week's practice. He just looked so bad!
Maybe our "D" is that good...

"Worley was the Volunteers' only quarterback with game experience, having backed up former starter Tyler Bray. In the past two seasons, Worley appeared in nine games, completing 63 of 110 passes for 738 yards, one touchdown and five interceptions."

ESPN-

Gotta love that TD to INT ratio.

"Worley was the Volunteers' only quarterback with game experience, having backed up former starter Tyler Bray. In the past two seasons, Worley appeared in nine games, completing 63 of 110 passes for 738 yards, one touchdown and five interceptions."

ESPN-

Gotta love that TD to INT ratio.

Means nothing at this point. I have faith the best guy for the job is the one jones is putting out there.

I'm not sure Worley gives us any more of a chance to win than Peterman or Ferguson. However, he is the only one that has actually taken an SEC snap, so I understand the call. I doubt he will finish the season as the starting QB as I expect Ferguson to replace him at some point, but I certainly hope I am wrong as Justin is a good kid and a smart QB. GO VOLS!

I'm gonna go out on limb and say butch jones don't give 2 shats about how many snaps somebody has. He said it was an open competition from day one and the named starter will be who had the best camp.

VN Store

Back