Keystone Pipeline - a red line?

I have no idea to what end. It's Washington D.C., it's a dirty business. Most Americans are not naïve, they understand that the politicians they voted into office often times do not have the best interests of the Country in mind when they vote on legislation, even if that piece of legislation is supported by the majority of the population.

My guess is that Obama will say that he is waiting for all the studies to be completed.
The real reason he will veto it is because he is playing politics.

The problem with this is the politics are not smart. This has some pretty serious bipartisan support so not supporting it is the way wrong political move.

The problem with this is the politics are not smart. This has some pretty serious bipartisan support so not supporting it is the way wrong political move.

What polls do you have that show serious bi-partisan support? If this was solely a Canadian project I would be dead set against it. Piss on those loonies. But after doing some research, the pipeline has the potential to move Baaken oil instead of just the tar sand oil. This puts me on the fence. As for job's, for the most part they would be temporary. Environmental - 50 - 50 on that. Rail has had it's mishaps and so have pipelines.

What polls do you have that show serious bi-partisan support? If this was solely a Canadian project I would be dead set against it. Piss on those loonies. But after doing some research, the pipeline has the potential to move Baaken oil instead of just the tar sand oil. This puts me on the fence. As for job's, for the most part they would be temporary. Environmental - 50 - 50 on that. Rail has had it's mishaps and so have pipelines.

Want to know where there are a bunch of other temporary jobs? Infrastructure building.

The bridge on I40 at the 425 mile marker (east of Knoxville) is undergoing improvements. It's a 2+ year project. What happens when the project is finished? Do you think everybody who is currently employed by the contractor performing the work will be retained? Not bloody likely.

Reactions: 2 people
Want to know where there are a bunch of other temporary jobs? Infrastructure building.

The bridge on I40 at the 425 mile marker (east of Knoxville) is undergoing improvements. It's a 2+ year project. What happens when the project is finished? Do you think everybody who is currently employed by the contractor performing the work will be retained? Not bloody likely.

This...

It trickles down. Sub-contractors are hired. They hire on more folks. Their vendors hire in more folks. Etc Etc Etc

A lot of folks have no idea what goes on during a federal or even state project.

Plus landowners get $400 per 40 foot section of pipe. That's real money for farmland. What are they going to do with that money? Buy more cattle, farmland or equipment. But no, we can't have flyover country get money or respectable jobs

Last edited:
Plus landowners get $400 per 40 foot section of pipe. That's real money for farmland. What are they going to do with that money? Buy more cattle, farmland or equipment. But no, we can't have flyover country get money or respectable jobs

They don't want the money! Many farmers have went to court over this, and were given no option but to allow a foreign business to steal their land.

They don't want the money! Many farmers have went to court over this, and were given no option but to allow a foreign business to steal their land.

It happens for far lesser projects across the country and people get paid less.

Wrong.....

We're do you get your info?

That’s why we’re committed to treating the communities and each and every landowner we meet with honesty, respect and fairness. TransCanada has secured voluntary agreements with 100 per cent of landowners in Montana and South Dakota and 84 per cent of landowners in Nebraska. - See more at: Myths & Facts | Keystone XL Pipeline

Reactions: 1 person
Fact: Construction jobs are incredibly important to the U.S economy.

It is time to stop the disrespectful attacks on the quality of construction jobs related to Keystone XL because they have a project completion date. The jobs required to build a state-of-the-art energy infrastructure project like Keystone XL require tremendous skill and training and are as important as any other job in North America. The Keystone XL Pipeline will mean jobs and economic growth for Americans and not for workers in other countries. These jobs are important and for many, a lifeline. That is why Keystone XL has the complete support of major trades and manufacturing unions across the U.S.

Direct/Indirect Jobs

Keystone XL would support 42,100 direct and indirect jobs during construction of the pipeline contributing to approximately $2 billion in wages throughout the United States. Delays have prevented these jobs from being realized.

Manufacturing Jobs

Keystone XL has supported more than 7000 jobs from the billions spent in sourcing the goods and services in North America. From motors and drives manufactured by Siemens in Ohio and Pennsylvania to the steel manufactured in Little Rock, Arkansas, the Keystone XL project has contracts with 50 suppliers in the United States.

Economic Activity

Keystone XL will generate a significant amount of economic activity in the United States; the most significant benefits will be felt by the residents and counties where the pipeline is constructed.

TransCanada will be a substantial tax payer in many of the counties in which Keystone XL crosses. In 2012 alone approximately $37 million in property taxes were derived from the Keystone Pipeline being operational, increasing to $44 million in 2013. These additional revenues have helped address local infrastructure needs like roads, bridges, hospitals and other facilities that improve the standard of living for Americans.

The FSEIS projects that seventeen out of 27 counties which Keystone XL crosses are expected to see tax revenues increase by 10 per cent or more. This would contribute to approximately $3.4 billion to U.S. GDP and an overall economic boost for America.

Fact: Keystone XL is not an export pipeline.

It is a supply line to U.S. Gulf Coast refineries — which have signed up to 20-year binding commercial contracts to receive oil through Keystone XL. This much-needed oil will allow refineries to create products that we all rely on every day — gasoline for our vehicles, aviation fuels, and diesel fuels to help transport goods throughout the continent. It makes absolutely no sense for companies to purchase cheaper Canadian crude, and then pay (again) to ship that product overseas, while continuing to import higher-priced oil from the Middle East and Venezuela.

In fact, the State Department’s own Environmental Impact Statement addresses this directly:

Exports of Canadian crude are “unlikely to be economically justified for any significant durable trade given transport costs and market conditions.”
Once [Canadian crude] arrives at the Gulf Coast, Gulf Coast refiners have a significant competitive advantage in processing compared to foreign refiners who would have to incur additional transportation charges to have the crude oil delivered from the Gulf Coast to their location.
Gulf Coast refiners’ traditional sources of heavy crudes, particularly Mexico and Venezuela are declining and are expected to continue. Both the EIA’s 2013 AEO and EnSys WORLD model indicate that this demand for heavy crude in the Gulf Coast refineries is likely to persist.
EnSys modeling shows no export of light or heavy crude carried on Keystone XL or any other pipeline into PADD 3 onward to overseas markets, confirming the barriers that PADD 3 heavy crude demand and transport costs.
The U.S. is an overwhelming net importer of crude oil. The International Energy Agency (IEA) and the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have both forecast the U.S. will still need to import oil to meet its domestic demand for decades, despite growing oil production in the U.S. Canadian and U.S. production transported by pipeline will displace more expensive crude oils from less stable countries.

- See more at: Myths & Facts | Keystone XL Pipeline

Wrong.....

We're do you get your info?

That’s why we’re committed to treating the communities and each and every landowner we meet with honesty, respect and fairness. TransCanada has secured voluntary agreements with 100 per cent of landowners in Montana and South Dakota and 84 per cent of landowners in Nebraska. - See more at: Myths & Facts | Keystone XL Pipeline

Try again:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/08/2...a-can-seize-pasture-for-keystone-xl.html?_r=0

Fact: Keystone XL is not an export pipeline.

It is a supply line to U.S. Gulf Coast refineries — which have signed up to 20-year binding commercial contracts to receive oil through Keystone XL. This much-needed oil will allow refineries to create products that we all rely on every day — gasoline for our vehicles, aviation fuels, and diesel fuels to help transport goods throughout the continent. It makes absolutely no sense for companies to purchase cheaper Canadian crude, and then pay (again) to ship that product overseas, while continuing to import higher-priced oil from the Middle East and Venezuela.

In fact, the State Department’s own Environmental Impact Statement addresses this directly:

Exports of Canadian crude are “unlikely to be economically justified for any significant durable trade given transport costs and market conditions.”
Once [Canadian crude] arrives at the Gulf Coast, Gulf Coast refiners have a significant competitive advantage in processing compared to foreign refiners who would have to incur additional transportation charges to have the crude oil delivered from the Gulf Coast to their location.
Gulf Coast refiners’ traditional sources of heavy crudes, particularly Mexico and Venezuela are declining and are expected to continue. Both the EIA’s 2013 AEO and EnSys WORLD model indicate that this demand for heavy crude in the Gulf Coast refineries is likely to persist.
EnSys modeling shows no export of light or heavy crude carried on Keystone XL or any other pipeline into PADD 3 onward to overseas markets, confirming the barriers that PADD 3 heavy crude demand and transport costs.
The U.S. is an overwhelming net importer of crude oil. The International Energy Agency (IEA) and the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) have both forecast the U.S. will still need to import oil to meet its domestic demand for decades, despite growing oil production in the U.S. Canadian and U.S. production transported by pipeline will displace more expensive crude oils from less stable countries.

- See more at: Myths & Facts | Keystone XL Pipeline

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/u...-fight-over-pipeline.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This article mentions over 50 cases involving the use of imminent domain in both Texas and South Dakota.

I'm more inclined to believe an actual news agency as oppossed to the company website.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/18/u...-fight-over-pipeline.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This article mentions over 50 cases involving the use of imminent domain in both Texas and South Dakota.

I'm more inclined to believe an actual news agency as oppossed to the company website.

Yes because that news agency isnt bias

Your article lists one farmer *****ing over 50'

2,000+ miles and you site 50'.

50 cases? I wonder if they are liberals? Or maybe holding out for more money? Once again though, 50 cases over a stretch of 2,000+ miles.

50 cases? I wonder if they are liberals? Or maybe holding out for more money? Once again though, 50 cases over a stretch of 2,000+ miles.

The article mentions 34 cases pending in TX and 22 in SD. That's 56 cases of imminent domain. I'm sure not all were granted, but I'm sure that 100% claim in SD on their website is complete bull ****.

Here's a 2011 article mentioning 21 cases involving imminent domain in SD.

The article mentions 34 cases pending in TX and 22 in SD. That's 56 cases of imminent domain. I'm sure not all were granted, but I'm sure that 100% claim in SD on their website is complete bull ****.

You are not sure it's been granted, but 100% is BS? Come on man.

Again- 56 cases over 2,000 MILES. Some people are just pricks.

Reactions: 3 people

Let me google that for you

Take your time checking the links.

What polls do you have that show serious bi-partisan support? See previous post

If this was solely a Canadian project I would be dead set against it. I likely would be right there with you. But it's not and we deal with what we have

Piss on those loonies. Agree if you're talking about the environmental crowd

But after doing some research, the pipeline has the potential to move Baaken oil instead of just the tar sand oil. This puts me on the fence. And helps keep the global price of oil down in the meantime

As for job's, for the most part they would be temporary. And why is this such a bad thing? Even a temporary job is still putting money in someone's pocket and not keeping them on the public dole.

Environmental - 50 - 50 on that. The same environmentalists that are opposed to the pipeline are pretty much opposed to anything and everything.

Rail has had it's mishaps and so have pipelines.

The biggest questions you have to ask. Who owns that rail line? And who stands to lose money when the pipeline is finished?

It's hard to take the environmentalists seriously on this issue when, like GV alluded, they are opposed to pretty much any new energy infrastructure, including wind and solar.

Reactions: 2 people
It's hard to take the environmentalists seriously on this issue when, like GV alluded, they are opposed to pretty much any new energy infrastructure, including wind and solar.

Correct... They are worried about the pipeline leaking underground... The oil is in the ground... Retards

50,000 Gallons Of Crude Oil Spills Into Partially Frozen Yellowstone River | ThinkProgress

"Some residents are reportedly smelling and tasting oil in their drinking water, causing the EPA to test water samples and the city water plant to cease drawing water from the river."

"I am not saying the water is unsafe. I am not saying it is safe,” said Dawson County Disaster and Emergency Services coordinator Mary Jo Gehnert."

:rock:

Spills create jobs!

Plus the resident comments are horse pucky.

VN Store

Back