Knecht

Rewatched the exhibition (and, yes, IK it was just an exhibition), but Knecht looked really composed and seems like a guy (along with Santi) who will be able to hit threes to get us out of our inevitable 3-4 min field goal droughts. Love him out of the portal. BTW Gainey is just a SOPH so maybe he can stay a while.
I have to say, I’ve been really hesitant to get excited about our transfers, but these first 2 exhibitions have me a little excited. I won’t really buy into the hype until the regular season. I’ve seen guys tear it up in preseason and then disappear when the regular season rolls around, but these guys look legit so far.

Sure. You say that all the time. I know where you stand.

But expecting him to be an All-American and putting that narrative out there just invites a bunch of mouth breathers to come on this board and create threads like the title “JJJ” and how really Knecht was a waste of roster space if he doesn’t live up to something unrealistic. Or something like that. Seen this narrative too often.
Hey woah woah woah...I have some fairly serious nasal congestion issues that force that.

Reality check-in:

During his postgame, Barnes spoke of practice days when no one is hitting their shots, and what he's coaching them to do.

There are days in practice when no one is hitting their shots.

So there will be games when no one is hitting their shots.
It's just a fact of life, so count on it happening, and when it does, cheer for more rebounding and defensive effort.

Reality check-in:

During his postgame, Barnes spoke of practice days when no one is hitting their shots, and what he's coaching them to do.

So there will be games when no one is hitting their shots.

It's just a fact of life, so count on it happening, and when it does, cheer for more rebounding and defensive effort.
You hit the nail on the head regarding the running debate that “Barnes can’t get us very far in the tournament.” Shooters, even great shooters, have poor shooting nights. It happens and that’s something no one can control. Ask our friendly neighbors from Tuscaloosa about how they lost in the tournament.

You hit the nail on the head regarding the running debate that “Barnes can’t get us very far in the tournament.” Shooters, even great shooters, have poor shooting nights. It happens and that’s something no one can control. Ask our friendly neighbors from Tuscaloosa about how they lost in the tournament.
It’s bizarre how some people seem to think that bad shooting nights are somehow unique to our team and not an inherent part of the sport.

I am a fan of Barnes, but his lack of tournament success is hard to ignore. He has a large sample size of regular season success from Clemson, Texas and UT coupled with a large sample size of disappointing tourney runs. If it was one or two seasons you could chalk it up to a cold night or bad luck which happens to everyone. I hope this is the year he gets that monkey off his back. GBO.

I am a fan of Barnes, but his lack of tournament success is hard to ignore. He has a large sample size of regular season success from Clemson, Texas and UT coupled with a large sample size of disappointing tourney runs. If it was one or two seasons you could chalk it up to a cold night or bad luck which happens to everyone. I hope this is the year he gets that monkey off his back. GBO.
I’m not trying to criticize here, but you do understand that the huge majority of highly successful teams don’t make it to their perceived spots, right? A Final Four for almost any very good team is almost impossible to duplicate because the tournament itself is such a crapshoot of good (or bad) luck, injuries, officiating, seeding….and multiple other factors. Pick out 20 teams of your choice over the last 10 years and figure out who didn’t make more than one FF and you will have most teams. Each year, even for very good teams, almost all don’t make it that far.

If not for an Alexander injury, a terrible call going against Turner, and a Zeigler injury last year, the narrative might be totally different. These were all non-controllable coaching issues, which have unfortunately happened often to Tennessee.

On cold shooting nights, you play tough defense and start taking the ball to the rack. For the first time in a while, I feel like this team can do that offensively.
But will they? Or will they continue to settle? I think this team is equipped for either method. It’s just the question of “Will they?”

Reactions: chuckiepoo
On cold shooting nights, you play tough defense and start taking the ball to the rack. For the first time in a while, I feel like this team can do that offensively.
Last year only real shooter Tennesse had was Vescovi...and ZZ but he was streaky....this season Tennessee has Vescovi, ZZ, DK and Gainey... surely all 4 wouldn't have poor shooting nights in same game...

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
But will they? Or will they continue to settle? I think this team is equipped for either method. It’s just the question of “Will they?”
I feel like they will. You know Knecht is going to drive the bucket, and I feel like Freddie will more and more often as he gets acclimated. Even Gainey has shown he will try to get to the rim. And if you can get Awaka the ball within about 5-7 feet of the goal, he's taking it up and either getting fouled or getting a good look.

Last year only real shooter Tennesse had was Vescovi...and ZZ but he was streaky....this season Tennessee has Vescovi, ZZ, DK and Gainey... surely all 4 wouldn't have poor shooting nights in same game...
any offense Gainey and DK currently have, will be coached out of them for DEFENSE BABY!!!!!!!

I have to say, I’ve been really hesitant to get excited about our transfers, but these first 2 exhibitions have me a little excited. I won’t really buy into the hype until the regular season. I’ve seen guys tear it up in preseason and then disappear when the regular season rolls around, but these guys look legit so far.
The only real question about Gainey and knecht is can they handle the defensive grind of Barnes's system and still keep their shooting percentages up?

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back