Mashack
Awaka

Next in minutes
Dilione
Estrella
Phillips
Carr
DJ

From this group, I don't see more than 8-9 man rotation. Hope I didn't forget someone.

Reactions: FeelVol
Finishing with 10 guys averaging 10 minutes doesn't mean you have a 10 man rotation. For one thing we had one of those guys injured in a high percentage of games. I guess it comes down to whether or not you count a guy getting a couple of minutes before a media timeout as being in the rotation. A closer study does show that he did use his bench a little more than I thought. Good info.
Who?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
To me appearing in 90%+ of games and averaging double digit minutes would indicate you are a part of the rotation…JMO.
In the three NCAA Tournament games we had an 8 man rotation in one and a 9 man in the other two. This is and what Barnes has always done in meaningful games.

In the three NCAA Tournament games we had an 8 man rotation in one and a 9 man in the other two. This is and what Barnes has always done in meaningful games.
I never saw a NCAAT tourney games only disclaimer when the topic was brought up, my bad.

Top 8 in minutes played ;

Vescovi
ZZ
Knecht
JJJ
Aidoo
Gainey
Mashack
Awaka

Next in minutes
Dilione
Estrella
Phillips
Carr
DJ

From this group, I don't see more than 8-9 man rotation. Hope I didn't forget someone.
I think Awaka is probably higher on the list just because our post depth vs guard depth

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Finishing with 10 guys averaging 10 minutes doesn't mean you have a 10 man rotation. For one thing we had one of those guys injured in a high percentage of games. I guess it comes down to whether or not you count a guy getting a couple of minutes before a media timeout as being in the rotation. A closer study does show that he did use his bench a little more than I thought. Good info.
Just as predicted - goalposts moved. The whole discussion was CRB wearing DK and others down over the course of the season with his defensive demands. Provide data refuting this claim and it changes to “in the NCAA tourney games” CRB only plays 9 guys. The anti-Barnes crowd are so predictable.

Last edited:
Just as predicted - goalposts moved. The whole discussion was CRB wearing DK and others down over the course of the season with his defensive demands. Provide data refuting this claim and it changes to “in the NCAA tourney games” CRB only plays 9 guys. The anti-Barnes crowd are so predictable.
The OP is far from anti-Barnes. It's very strange how so many posters take any comment that isn't glowing praise to Barnes as some kind of heated attack. It's almost impossible to have an objective good-faith discussion.

Reactions: orangemadam
The OP is far from anti-Barnes. It's very strange how so many posters take any comment that isn't glowing praise to Barnes as some kind of heated attack. It's almost impossible to have an objective good-faith discussion.
Get in the game Chris - this discussion pivoted on post #98 which was clearly an unwarranted anti-Barnes post. I agree with the OP’s original post.

I like what I’ve seen from Carr so far but not sure how the hell you could watch the two exhibition games and then make a list of new impact players and have Jordan Gainey not above both Carr and Freddie.

That list is silly. Nkamhoua is ranked higher than any UT player.

Reactions: Stoked
Get in the game Chris - this discussion pivoted on post #98 which was clearly an unwarranted anti-Barnes post. I agree with the OP’s original post.
"The only real question about Gainey and knecht is can they handle the defensive grind of Barnes's system and still keep their shooting percentages up?"

Explain how that's an anti-Barnes post or inflammatory in any sense.

Reactions: orangemadam
"The only real question about Gainey and knecht is can they handle the defensive grind of Barnes's system and still keep their shooting percentages up?"

Explain how that's an anti-Barnes post or inflammatory in any sense.
If you’ve followed the poster then you already know the answer

Idk about that. He’s not a troll or anything but ColinS is certainly on the less positive side of regular posters when it comes to Barnes. It’s not unreasonable for Walken to interpret posts of his in light of that

Idk about that. He’s not a troll or anything but ColinS is certainly on the less positive side of regular posters when it comes to Barnes. It’s not unreasonable for Walken to interpret posts of his in light of that
I can understand that idea, though I disagree in that Walken's interpretation/response was reasonable. I know we all love the Vols and Barnes, and we will challenge any posts that unfairly/incorrectly paint them in a bad light. I just think a lot of posters have taken that to the extreme and that it's diluting the quality of discussions here. This forum by far is the best place to engage with fellow fans and get more out of our love for UT, and I just wish it was as easy to discuss the team's flaws/shortcomings in good faith as it is to celebrate our accomplishments. I know that's easier said than done in the realm of sports fandom, and I do try to keep my mouth my shut in order to not be a poopy pants, though I can't help myself sometimes. I promise that if most the posts about the team were negative, I'd be arguing the opposite due to my tendency to play devil's advocate.

There’s nothing wrong with discussion back-and-forth with aspects of a players’ game or a coach’s abilities, but some of these posters deliberately try to antagonize by saying the same things they’ve said literally hundreds of times over the years. You critique a player or coach once or twice on here, we get it. When every comment is a thinly veiled insult it becomes old very quickly. Folks could use some positivity in their lives. We’re a top 10 team right now so I’m going to enjoy the season like crazy.

There’s nothing wrong with discussion back-and-forth with aspects of a players’ game or a coach’s abilities, but some of these posters deliberately try to antagonize by saying the same things they’ve said literally hundreds of times over the years. You critique a player or coach once or twice on here, we get it. When every comment is a thinly veiled insult it becomes old very quickly. Folks could use some positivity in their lives. We’re a top 10 team right now so I’m going to enjoy the season like crazy.

Exactly. Several posters have an agenda and it’s to criticize Barnes.

I can understand that idea, though I disagree in that Walken's interpretation/response was reasonable. I know we all love the Vols and Barnes, and we will challenge any posts that unfairly/incorrectly paint them in a bad light. I just think a lot of posters have taken that to the extreme and that it's diluting the quality of discussions here. This forum by far is the best place to engage with fellow fans and get more out of our love for UT, and I just wish it was as easy to discuss the team's flaws/shortcomings in good faith as it is to celebrate our accomplishments. I know that's easier said than done in the realm of sports fandom, and I do try to keep my mouth my shut in order to not be a poopy pants, though I can't help myself sometimes. I promise that if most the posts about the team were negative, I'd be arguing the opposite due to my tendency to play devil's advocate.
I agree with everything you said there as a premise. Only thing I disagree with is that Walken in this particular case was being unreasonable; Colin definitely did move the goalposts. But I agree with you that in general some are so eager to defend Barnes or even just UT or the team in general when someone is making a reasonable critique that it dampens conversation for people who love UT and just want to be able to talk about the bad with the good

Sorry if I ruined your bball forum experience - you should probably put me on ignore so it doesn’t happen again. Good day sir.

If you think it's bad here with the negavols, you should see Vol Twitter. The amount of Coach Barnes hate there is unreal. I'm going to sound like a real old guy here (only 31 lol) but I think it's mostly the younger crowd over there who are in their 20's and didn't really experience our down years though. They are accustomed to our "bubble watch" days.

They don't appreciate the yearly elite defenses we have. They want us scoring 100 ppg.

If you think it's bad here with the negavols, you should see Vol Twitter. The amount of Coach Barnes hate there is unreal. I'm going to sound like a real old guy here (only 31 lol) but I think it's mostly the younger crowd over there who are in their 20's and didn't really experience our down years though. They are accustomed to our "bubble watch" days.

They don't appreciate the yearly elite defenses we have. They want us scoring 100 ppg.

I'm 32, went to a ton of really bad Buzz Peterson games growing up. Now I get to enjoy fun teams, likeable players, and don't really worry if we're gonna make the tournament or not (2020 excluded, when the tournament didn't happen but we weren't making it in anyway)

There are times when I have frustrations with Barnes, but anyone who thinks he over emphasizes defense to the detriment of offense needs to go back and watch the 37-36 loss to Georgetown in 2012. We've had way worse. Not sure I've ever seen someone obsess over defense more than Cuonzo Martin.

VN Store

Back