Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

I have a problem with that.
That’s a different issue, but I get it. The point is, nothing has changed other than, now some non-essential businesses can go start doing what 1/2-2/3 of the economy never stopped doing anyway. There’s a myth that we’ve: 1) actually been under a full quarantine and; 2) suddenly we’ll all turn into dumbasses once a barber shop opens.

Reactions: luthervol
We need sports and schools. For our sanity and a distraction

Me and my wife need to start traveling again. This has been the longest stretch of time we have spent together without either of us out of town since we have been married.

Reactions: McDad
Do it and you'll see the flu death numbers largely unchanged.

This year, we had about 9,000 lab-confirmed flu deaths.

But we say we will have 24,000-62,000 flu deaths. From modeling. The error bars are big enough that uncertainty is larger (38k) is larger than the lower bound.

We have roughly 40,000 lab confirmed COVID deaths (vs. 9k for flu where we say the real number is closer to 30k-60k) and about 5,000 probable (based on case history, data on contacts who were covid positive, autopsy, etc.), yet it is the CV death numbers that are just way off and so wrong and can't be trusted?

I don't understand this fascination with the making light of the CV death numbers as if they are manufactured because they include either a) non-CV leading cause deaths and b) probable numbers. This is especially a shocking position to me from someone who holds flu deaths up as a standard when the accepted number of deaths fall in a range of 3-7 times higher than the lab-confirmed number.

What percentage of the US population do you think dies of heart attacks and car accidents every day? Unless the people who test positive for CV are the unluckiest group on the planet - their non-CV mortality rate is going to pale in comparison to their CV mortality rate.

I think we would see Flu confirmed deaths skyrocket if we tested for the Flu for every patient, every time, coming into a hospital or doctors office exhibiting 1 or any symptom of the Flu. We would also see those numbers skyrocket if we also gave 15% extra reimbursement for every positive Flu case. I still contend the 40K lab confirmed deaths is not a product of CV death, it is a product of increased focus of CV testing and the simple fact that we are looking for it. Test for the Flu they way we are testing for CV right now where everybody and their mother gets tested for a runny nose and the Flu is all of a sudden a pandemic. Seriously, how many sick people in hospitals right now would test positive for some trace amount of a Flu strain? Additionaly, how many would we feel confident saying have the Flu just based on case history?

Yes - CV death numbers can't be trusted. Heart attacks and car accidents are a small part, I agree. But they are there, and at this point we are looking for CV deaths in a way we aren't for the Flu or anything else. Simply looking for the cold virus or the Flu virus will make the numbers increase. So, what is the real story with CV?

Do it and you'll see the flu death numbers largely unchanged.

This year, we had about 9,000 lab-confirmed flu deaths.

But we say we will have 24,000-62,000 flu deaths. From modeling. The error bars are big enough that uncertainty is larger (38k) is larger than the lower bound.

We have roughly 40,000 lab confirmed COVID deaths (vs. 9k for flu where we say the real number is closer to 30k-60k) and about 5,000 probable (based on case history, data on contacts who were covid positive, autopsy, etc.), yet it is the CV death numbers that are just way off and so wrong and can't be trusted?

I don't understand this fascination with the making light of the CV death numbers as if they are manufactured because they include either a) non-CV leading cause deaths and b) probable numbers. This is especially a shocking position to me from someone who holds flu deaths up as a standard when the accepted number of deaths fall in a range of 3-7 times higher than the lab-confirmed number.

What percentage of the US population do you think dies of heart attacks and car accidents every day? Unless the people who test positive for CV are the unluckiest group on the planet - their non-CV mortality rate is going to pale in comparison to their CV mortality rate.
Heart disease kills around 800k a year, car crashes 40k. Couldnt find specifics on heart attacks per day. But if you assume 100k die from heart attacks of the 800k, that's 273 a day, plus another 90 from car crashes.

Reactions: McDad

VN Store

Back