Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Exactly. They got to work. But instead of actually doing things we’re telling tens of millions of people to eat it, live off of $1200 for an indeterminate time, and if you don’t listen we’ll fine you.

Yes, and some went to work who didn't before (many women moved to fill the gap left by men who went to war).

But the MI governor has just been wrong on this from too many angles. She is in a hotbed state and making every decision through a political lens it seems. Not a fan.

However, on the economy - I will add, this $600/week of extra unemployment is very interesting. My sister, who works in a dental office as a receptionist and has for 20 years, just had her pay go up while on unemployment due to the extra kick-in. What is unemployment pay right now - $20/hr or so? A lot of people who are out of work are used to getting less. There are no doubt people out of work who are used to getting more. Not trying to minimize the pain here. Yes, this is just for what, 4 months? And if the economic ramifications of lockdowns mean small business owners shutter and there is no work on the back side, the pain comes later without a doubt.

But, my question is - how bad is the pain now? Who is hardest hit by the lockdowns?

Sit-down food service is nailed. But most of the workers IN the restaurants, to the extent they qualify for this unemployment, are probably doing OK. Is that right? The companies are not. All the people employed in the middle, if currently out of work, are losing I would guess.

What else? Small businesses of all kinds that aren't essential. Again, the employees who work the shop are not going to hurt with that level of unemployment kicker. They likely aren't making over $20/hr. But obviously there are fixed costs for the owners and their ability to stay solvent and make rent is in huge jeopardy. Also they aren't bringing in the profits they are used to.

So it seems it is more the business-owners than the workers who are nailed. And to the extent that we can't inject enough liquidity to the business-owners through the SBA programs, that will mean huge problems with unemployment 6 months (or less) from now. But the average Joe is not facing financial doom from this to the extent the companies are there for them to come back to work in a month, or two, or more?

Is the key just keeping those companies solvent? And is the problem that we aren't able to do that?

Had to look him up and learn a bit about him.

You might want to do that yourself before quoting him.

Looks like about 90% of the other politicians. Did you see the part about him resigning because of threats against his family?

Which part of his statement warranted him to be censured?

The Georgia state lawmaker pointed to the president's criminal justice reform efforts, as well as low levels of unemployment for black Americans during most of Trump's presidency.

"It's very simple to me. President Trump's handling of the economy, his support for historically black colleges and his criminal justice initiatives drew me to endorse his campaign," Jones told the AJC last week.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
I hope this will put this debate to bed... tired of hearing this hyped as a wonder-drug by the right, just because Trump has aggressively touted it in his press briefings.

From AP News (apnews.com):

More deaths, no benefit from malaria drug in VA virus study

By Marilynn Marchione April 21, 2020

(Excerpt)

A malaria drug widely touted by President Donald Trump for treating the new coronavirus showed no benefit in a large analysis of its use in U.S. veterans hospitals. There were more deaths among those given hydroxychloroquine versus standard care, researchers reported.

The nationwide study was not a rigorous experiment. But with 368 patients, it's the largest looks so far of hydroxychloroquine with or without the antibiotic azithromycin for COVID-19, which has killed more than 171,000 people as of Tuesday.

The study was posted on an online site for researchers and has not been reviewed by other scientists. Grants from the National Institutes of Health and the University of Virginia paid for the work.

Researchers analyzed medical records of 368 male veterans hospitalized with confirmed coronavirus infection at Veterans Health Administration medical centers who died or were discharged by April 11.

About 28% who were given hydroxychloroquine plus usual care died, versus 11% of those getting the drug plus azithromycin died too, but the difference between that group and usual care was not considered large enough to rule out other factors that have affected survival.

Hydroxychloroquine made no difference in the need for a breathing machine, either.

Researchers did not track side effects, but noted a hint that hydroxychloroquine might have damaged other organs. The drug has long been known to have potentially serious side effects, including altering the heartbeat in a way that could lead to sudden death....

"What do you have to lose? It's been out there for a long time. What do you have to lose? I hope they use it." - President Donald Trump speaking to the White House press corps on Saturday April 4th, while encouraging coronavirus patients to take the unproven drug, hydroxychloroquine, as a means of treatment.

Why did they pick the VA to do this test when Hospitals in Virginia are using it to treat patients?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Pretty smart guy addressed it about 250yrs ago too. His statement still seems relevant
It has always been relevant but what is going on now is not a nefarious government plot to steal your freedom. A bunch of rabble showing their fool asses during a national crisis would like for you to think that though.

Reactions: Mick
I am surprised Hannity has such a large following in NY. Is that what you mean?
Thats some junk science in the article, especially considering most people who are dying dont tend to watch Foxnews or vote Republican. The numbers get skewed by the nursing home deaths.

" Polls and regression analyses consistently find that Republicans are considerably less likely than Democrats to embrace social distancing measures, seemingly as a result of the overall partisan debate over the issues. "

Shocking I know.
Odd considering most people dying from corona china flu aren't Republicans..

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
It has always been relevant but what is going on now is not a nefarious government plot to steal your freedom. A bunch of rabble showing their fool asses during a national crisis would like for you to think that though.
whether it's a plot or not doesn't matter when the end result is the same. Turns out they likely didn't even need a nefarious plot because most gave it willingly

Reactions: hog88 and LouderVol
" Polls and regression analyses consistently find that Republicans are considerably less likely than Democrats to embrace social distancing measures, seemingly as a result of the overall partisan debate over the issues. "

Shocking I know.

You really should know better than to push VOX articles or polls . Even the regulars here ( liberals ) try not to do it .

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
“On February 25, Carlson warned that the virus could kill as many as a million Americans.”

🤔
images

So what was your intended message from six straight posts bitching about the White House press corps?

Because it sure looks like a partially successful attempt to change the subject and make the media the issue rather than talk about the guy who actually has authority and responsibility.

I bitched about Trump in everyone of the posts. Even reiterated that I think Trump sucks. What more was there to say about Trump. You ignore all that to call me a sycophant.

In addition to Trump's answer being bad I thought the question was bad and pointed that out. God forbid we apply any critical analysis to the press.

VN Store

Back