Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

But here in America
IDPH Director explains how Covid deaths are classified
"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined.

With NY deaths above 1000 per million, I'd like to know what some of the worst deaths per million are from some of the hardest hit Italian and Spanish cities. To see if it is similar.

I'm with you on parts of this but not others.

Looking for CV, testing more, and then counting those positive cases as deaths doesn't make CV numbers somehow worse than flu numbers. And you agree that the non-CV deaths shortly after a person tests positive for CV are going to be a small contribution to the total. So that isn't going to skew them. If the probable deaths were a big part of the total (let's say 20%), then I personally get more concerned about that. 10% or so is not that bad - but I've always taken the stance that I'd rather see the probable deaths where there was no test given placed in a separate category.

My comments about flu were not intended to try to discredit the flu death estimates. But rather, to ask why are we holding that up as a standard for CV? We have given as many CV tests in 6 weeks as we give in a flu season. Of course we also know there are a ton of people told to stay at home and don't come in for a test. And some of those also happen to be dying. But point is we are testing hard and trying to identify the CV cases and if those people die we are tracking that. Unless you are arguing that we are manufacturing positive tests so that in case those people happen to die of some other condition over the next few weeks we can get a paycheck at a certain hospital, then I'm not tracking with how this leaves us with an untrustworthy CV death number (was this payment in the stimulus bill or where does it come from? I hear about it on here all the time but have never read where the statute exists for the payment) - particularly when a modeled flu number that isn't as aggressively tested for is held up against it as a standard.

Text - S.3548 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): CARES Act

SEC. 4409. Medicare hospital inpatient prospective payment system add-on payment for covid–19 patients during emergency period.

(a) In general.—Section 1886(d)(4)(C) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1395ww(d)(4)(C)) is amended by adding at the end the following new clause:

“(iv) (I) For discharges occurring during the emergency period described in section 1135(g)(1)(B), in the case of a discharge that has a principal or secondary diagnosis of COVID–19, the Secretary shall increase the weighting factor for each diagnosis-related group (with such a principal or secondary diagnosis) by 15 percent.

For reference.

Reactions: hjeagle1vol
Reactions: NashVol11 and Mick
is herd immunity feasible in the US with our population size?
I would say its inevitable in larger cities, right? I mean we can't lock down every time this happens so this winter when it comes back around a large number of people are going to get it, recover and go on the live healthy lives. Just like with the Flu there will be complications and some people will also inevitably pass away but hopefully we aren't counting heart attacks as covid deaths next time around just because they had covid present in their systems.

is herd immunity feasible in the US with our population size?
As some leaders weigh pursuit of ‘herd immunity’ from coronavirus, experts warn risks are too high

Based on what experts know about the disease’s contagiousness, "the critical threshold for achieving that herd protection for COVID-19 is between 50% and 66%," according to Dr. Justin Lessler, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University.

The bad news? That means that at least half of Americans need to become infected or vaccinated before the population reaches herd immunity – and even then, concerns over reinfection could alter the math.

At this point, what is the purpose of continued lockdown? At the beginning, it was to keep hospitals from getting overwhelmed, resources, etc. Is that still the case, and if so, how long does it take to get this going?

If it is ready, then what is the point of continued lockdowns? To keep people from getting it? At some point everybody is going to get it anyway, no?

So what is the story here?

At this point, what is the purpose of continued lockdown? At the beginning, it was to keep hospitals from getting overwhelmed, resources, etc. Is that still the case, and if so, how long does it take to get this going?

If it is ready, then what is the point of continued lockdowns? To keep people from getting it? At some point everybody is going to get it anyway, no?

So what is the story here?
We're just doing it for funnsies now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's comical is the lefts investment in bitching about it.

Who’s bitching about hydroxy? Trump heard about it one day and started pushing it as this magical cure that people weren’t using, or something, when it was already being used in NYC and people were dying en masse anyway

Who’s bitching about hydroxy? Trump heard about it one day and started pushing it as this magical cure that people weren’t using, or something, when it was already being used in NYC and people were dying en masse anyway

And so what? Someone told him it was promising, he brought it up during a PC and you guys have lost your **** since.

I think it’s still in the wait and see phase regardless of your political beliefs
I've always been of the wait and see approach, because it takes a while for clinical trials related to Covid-19 to be completed. 2 months is not enough time to gather enough information to make an scientific decision.

VN Store

Back