Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Ubi is a better slogan than policy IMO. Instead of building a system where most of the population receives handouts (which I think will only lead to inflation since businesses will know that everyone has an extra $1k in their pocket each month), why not focus on implementing programs that encourage the creation of middle class jobs? Such a response is targeted specifically towards creating opportunity rather than handouts for those in need.
Not to speak for PJ, but I think part of the argument for UBI is that there will always be welfare in some fashion. It will never not be part of our budget. That assumption means that no matter how many amazing middle class jobs are available, welfare will still be ongoing. What you're suggesting makes sense. But like UBI, it only makes sense if it replaces other programs and doesn't simply add to the budget.

They unfairly attacked Falwell and Liberty. Don't get me wrong, Falwell is not saint but he was treated pretty unfairly

Well, it's a situation in which an institution that is supposedly Pro-Life did something that seemed to contradict that.
I'm not saying I agree with that, but it opened a door of opportunity for many folks to come down hard on him.

Reactions: McDad
Well, it's a situation in which an institution that is supposedly Pro-Life did something that seemed to contradict that.
I'm not saying I agree with that, but it opened a door of opportunity for many folks to come down hard on him.
Oh for sure, he's got a ton of enemy's

Solid article here.

"Quest Diagnostics announced that any person who wants to get an antibody test for COVID-19 can purchase one online, without having to go to the doctor's office ..."

"Following the purchase of the service, a person will then be asked to make an appointment at one of Quest's 2,200 service centers across the U.S. to have their blood drawn. "
For the low price of 109 big ones

Did you know that Jim Jones served Flavoraid and not Koolaid when they drunk the cyanide? Just found out when I was listening to a podcast about it. More random but useless knowledge lol
On the one hand, if you're going to engineer the mass death of your followers, you should at least spring for the good stuff. On the other hand, why waste the good stuff on a mass suicide? And I use the term suicide loosely.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
Not to speak for PJ, but I think part of the argument for UBI is that there will always be welfare in some fashion. It will never not be part of our budget. That assumption means that no matter how many amazing middle class jobs are available, welfare will still be ongoing. What you're suggesting makes sense. But like UBI, it only makes sense if it replaces other programs and doesn't simply add to the budget.

I'm not in favor of the idea I presented either because, like you said, other programs would have to be cut. My last post was just an alternative to ubi that doesn't involve handouts if the day comes where we do cut other programs. My preference is for the government to stay out of the way as much as possible.

I will be curious to see how long it will be before insurance companies start covering a test like this. If you have to pay online, I wonder how they'll handle that.
It was 119.
With the insurance my family has now, all tests marked "preventative" and not "diagnostic" tests are fully covered. I'll be curious to see how this plays out. In the context of social distancing, I wonder if this could be flown through as "preventative."

Solid article here.

"Quest Diagnostics announced that any person who wants to get an antibody test for COVID-19 can purchase one online, without having to go to the doctor's office ..."

"Following the purchase of the service, a person will then be asked to make an appointment at one of Quest's 2,200 service centers across the U.S. to have their blood drawn. "

Tagging on to this topic. Some clamor out there about States cracking down on people offering testing that isn't FDA approved. I was told today that no test has been FDA approved specifically for Covid 19. even though they may have poor semantics, what the authorities are cracking down on are tests which lack appropriate accuracy levels for sensitivity and specificity.
So if you know someone looking to get tested, make sure they inquire about the accuracy of both factors with the test they are getting.

Reactions: GordonC
I'm not in favor of the idea I presented either because, like you said, other programs would have to be cut. My last post was just an alternative to ubi that doesn't involve handouts if the day comes where we do cut other programs. My preference is for the government to stay out of the way as much as possible.
Are you of the opinion that UBI is a handout and food stamps (SNAP, WIC, etc) aren't ?

I will be curious to see how long it will be before insurance companies start covering a test like this. If you have to pay online, I wonder how they'll handle that.
It was 119.
With the insurance my family has now, all tests marked "preventative" and not "diagnostic" tests are fully covered. I'll be curious to see how this plays out. In the context of social distancing, I wonder if this could be flown through as "preventative."
At 119 bucks it might be worth it, especially if you've already had it and have proof

Solid article here.

I’m now offering $20 test at my house. I picked up this bad boy from some sucker in Iran for $100

1588098509575.jpeg

Tagging on to this topic. Some clamor out there about States cracking down on people offering testing that isn't FDA approved. I was told today that no test has been FDA approved specifically for Covid 19. even though they may have poor semantics, what the authorities are cracking down on are tests which lack appropriate accuracy levels for sensitivity and specificity.
So if you know someone looking to get tested, make sure they inquire about the accuracy of both factors with the test they are getting.
Our lab just recently launched SARS COVID antibody IGG, IGM, & IGA tests.

VN Store

Back