Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

I work in the field of numbers science. We analyze, make estimates, predictions, etc., some with very large $ consequences. If I had Fauci’s track record I would have gotten walking papers a while back.

I’m not expected to always be right, but I am always expected to be able to point to why I was wrong. What was my bad input? What was the flawed assumption?

Fauci’s moves the goalposts and can never articulate the why or explain why the previous thinking was wrong. He’s lost all credibility with thinking people.

Because u dont work in gov..No accountability for bureaucrats. This is who the Luther's of the world want to control everything

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Critics: Doctor's note for vaccine unfairly penalizing poor
So the reason they won't open up more vaccines here is because they're terrified of skipping "disadvantaged" groups and that would be racist. You know, the groups that can't afford the free vaccine or the free transportation. Yet apparently having standards to make sure the right people are getting vaccinated is also racist.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Case rate is still dropping correct?

Not saying there wont be another spike, I am just not seeing the specific cause for fear here.

Is the B117 variant not covered by the vaccines?

Most studies currently show the UK strain to be covered by the vaccine. The South Africa strain is a little more worrisome, but the J&J vaccine showed about 65% efficacy for that one. The Pfizer/moderna are lower at around 50%.

Florida reported earliest case of the UK variant in US in December. The percentage of their positive cases with this variant continues to increase, but overall cases continue to decrease.

Side note: I guess it’s now ok to name the variants after the country of origin.

Most studies currently show the UK strain to be covered by the vaccine. The South Africa strain is a little more worrisome, but the J&J vaccine showed about 65% efficacy for that one. The Pfizer/moderna are lower at around 50%.

Florida reported earliest case of the UK variant in US in December. The percentage of their positive cases with this variant continues to increase, but overall cases continue to decrease.

Side note: I guess it’s now ok to name the variants after the country of origin.
Limeyvirus!

Reactions: newyorkvol
Visualizing The World's Deadliest Pandemics By Population Impact | ZeroHedge

DeadliestPandemicsbyPopulation-DatastreamSupplemental-1-1.jpg

I guess it all comes down to the definition of a spike. My prediction is that we'll have more of a "blip." I'll change my mind if we see reporting of vaccinated people getting sick. To this point we're not seeing this. Heavily vaccinated populations like UK and Israel are not seeing a spike. I think vaccinations will spare us from "a spike."

I can't help but think how much more effective policies would be if they were delivered with humility and were realistic.

For example - I'm watching the NCAA tournament. All the players, coaches and refs are being tested and effectively quarantined. Still, they require masks during the game for anyone not on the floor. However, coaches continually pull their masks down...to yell at players or refs. They are masked while their mouths are closed yet not masked when they are expelling breath at maximum velocity. Players on the bench are masked but not while breathing hard and on each other in close contact on the floor.

Why not admit masks just aren't needed in these situations because of the other precautions being taken? Everyone would get that - it's okay to admit there are exceptions. Hard to imagine the science says wearing masks in these conditions does any good.

If you can't social distance and you aren't certain you aren't carrying Covid then masking is justifiable. Otherwise it's asking everyone to ignore science in the name of compliance.

One note on the "variant" strains: it will be very interesting to see how many vaccinated people end up getting infected vs those who have recovered from natural infection. I am fairly certain that there are antibodies to other surface markers/glycoproteins produced through infection that would not be expected after mRNA vaccine (which only codes for the spike protein). These could, obviously, still offer protection if mutations in the spike protein become prevalent.

One note on the "variant" strains: it will be very interesting to see how many vaccinated people end up getting infected vs those who have recovered from natural infection. I am fairly certain that there are antibodies to other surface markers/glycoproteins produced through infection that would not be expected after mRNA vaccine (which only codes for the spike protein). These could, obviously, still offer protection if mutations in the spike protein become prevalent.

Doc, this is from a "comments" section on the internet but I'm interested in whether you agree with it:

An important clarification: circulating antibodies in the blood are naturally short-lived and are not the gold standard for determining whether someone is subsequently immune to a virus. Rather, long term immunity is caused by the dynamic response of living cells in the immune system, whereas antibodies are just small molecules that are designed to dock onto a recognized part of a pathogen (kind of like handcuffing a bad guy). Once a threat has been neutralized, it doesn't make sense to continue having huge piles of handcuffs everywhere. What you really want is alert men and women in law enforcement (i.e., immune cells) who can quickly mobilize resources, including handcuffs, once again if the threat were to reappear.

Doc, this is from a "comments" section on the internet but I'm interested in whether you agree with it:
Obviously, that's an oversimplification, but it is very much normal for circulating antibodies to decrease over time, while "memory cells" retain the ability to respond to future encounters with an infectious agent. There is also a great deal of variability in how long immunity lasts after different vaccines and infections, much of which is poorly understood.

Here is a great write-up I found. It may be more than most people care to read, but it's very well presented.

How long do vaccines last? The surprising answers may help protect people longer

I can't help but think how much more effective policies would be if they were delivered with humility and were realistic.

For example - I'm watching the NCAA tournament. All the players, coaches and refs are being tested and effectively quarantined. Still, they require masks during the game for anyone not on the floor. However, coaches continually pull their masks down...to yell at players or refs. They are masked while their mouths are closed yet not masked when they are expelling breath at maximum velocity. Players on the bench are masked but not while breathing hard and on each other in close contact on the floor.

Why not admit masks just aren't needed in these situations because of the other precautions being taken? Everyone would get that - it's okay to admit there are exceptions. Hard to imagine the science says wearing masks in these conditions does any good.

If you can't social distance and you aren't certain you aren't carrying Covid then masking is justifiable. Otherwise it's asking everyone to ignore science in the name of compliance.
I remember going to one of my daughters HS volleyball games back in the fall and seeing similar.

The opposing team wore theirs on the bench and would forget to remove it when checking in.
They would then take it off and hand it to the coach, who at one point had 3 or 4 in her hand at one time.

It was one of those moments...

VN Store

Back