Lizards

Question: The transfer portal opens for a team's players when a coach is fired or quits.
This surely isn't allowed during the season, right?

My first call, if I'm Florida's AD, it's to Lance Leipold.

The man got Kansas ranked. And there's no way Kansas could outbid UF if they wanted him that bad. He's at $7 million at Kansas at the moment. Billy is costing more than that for mediocre performance.

Yes, it's a "lateral" move, but it would be from a super G5 conference (which is what the Big 12 has become) to big boy football.
I wanted him here. I am ecstatic about how things worked out, but if something happened and we are coach shopping again, I want Leipold. He is a real deal football coach.

Reactions: Volfan1000
History says the roster takes a significant hit.
A sizeable portion of the players in 2024 will shop their wares in the portal when the coach who wanted them for his offensive or defensive philosophy gets canned. Even a prestige program like UF.

I agree, that's why the focus has to turn to keeping a nucleus of top talent, to attract portal players. If we don't act early, I worry it will be too late.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I understand the PTSD Vols fans have from years past, but your team is excellent and the Gators are in complete disarray right now. If the game were in Gainesville I'd give us one shot in 20 of winning. But in Neyland? More like 1 in 100.

People looking to parachute out of UF already I suspect, including Lagway. If I'm the Gator administration I'm taking him aside and promising that in the off season we will double his NIL deal and hire a coach with some speed-oriented offensive chops. Try to build a team around him in the next 2 years.

The Gators are going to struggle for awhile but its at a point where they bite the bullet and try to get things righted immediately, or just drift further and further behind.

Who are the likely replacements? I'd like to say it's a destination job, but much like Tennessee was prior to Heup, when you're in a rut long enough the shine wears off.

Last edited:
Reactions: volbound1700
If the best Florida can do is Drink, and he’s at least serviceable, that sets everyone else up pretty well.
I think they might take a serious look at Cliff Kingsbury. Obviously his coaching record is mediocre, but his track record with offenses and QBs is impressive, with Mahomes, Manziel, Mayfield, and Case Keenum having been under his tutelage. And the SEC has become an offensive driven league.

My first call, if I'm Florida's AD, it's to Lance Leipold.

The man got Kansas ranked. And there's no way Kansas could outbid UF if they wanted him that bad. He's at $7 million at Kansas at the moment. Billy is costing more than that for mediocre performance.

Yes, it's a "lateral" move, but it would be from a super G5 conference (which is what the Big 12 has become) to big boy football.
Lance Leipold is a good coach. If he gets the Danny White approval, he's gotta be good.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Who are the likely replacements? I'd like to say it's a destination job, but much like Tennessee was prior to Heup, when you're in a rut long enough the shine wears off.
Unlike us, Florida has an easier path to regain respectability due to the sheer amount of talent that the state produces. It will have numerous attractive candidates I'm sure. Hell Sun Belt Billy was an extremely hot name among up and coming coaches. He was no Derek Dooley or Jeremy Pruitt.

Unlike us, Florida has an easier path to regain respectability due to the sheer amount of talent that the state produces. It will have numerous attractive candidates I'm sure. Hell Sun Belt Billy was an extremely hot name among up and coming coaches. He was no Derek Dooley or Jeremy Pruitt.
For a long time I would have agreed with this, and I think I still do. However, history does seem to suggest that the require a very good/elite coach to be an elite program. They've only been good with Steve Spurrier and Urban. Contrast this with a place like LSU, who has won national titles with Les Miles and Coach O.

There is a lot of talent that the state produces, but there are 2 major in-state schools plus UCF that are all recruiting that talent, plus other SEC schools (particularly UGA and Bama) that poach that talent.

I would put UFs chances to be beat FSU much higher if they played them earlier in the season, because FSU is, at best, an 8 win ACC team this year. But once Napier is gone, it will be hard for the coaches to rally the players the rest of the way.

The key difference was Tennessee being in Tennessee and Florida being in Florida. Florida is the only SEC program in the state with the most blue chips in the nation. That should still mean something. The right coach could quickly turn it around (especially with NIL).

I do think Florida's NIL is off for some reason and they seemed to be disorganized at the administrative level similar to Tennessee. Tennessee needed not just Heupel but Danny White to turn our ship around. Florida might be in the same boat.

Kiffin and Florida seem like a match made in heaven.

Lance Leipold is a good coach. If he gets the Danny White approval, he's gotta be good.
Great coach. He is 60 though. Possible Florida would want to go for a younger coach. Kiffin would be a nightmare there with their instate talent. I could see it taking a lot to get either one of those guys though.

The key difference was Tennessee being in Tennessee and Florida being in Florida. Florida is the only SEC program in the state with the most blue chips in the nation. That should still mean something. The right coach could quickly turn it around (especially with NIL).

I do think Florida's NIL is off for some reason and they seemed to be disorganized at the administrative level similar to Tennessee. Tennessee needed not just Heupel but Danny White to turn our ship around. Florida might be in the same boat.

Kiffin and Florida seem like a match made in heaven.
I get that. But there is also what goes on behind the scenes that has brought them a lot negative attention in recent years. The underhanded maneuvers to get Mullen out. The shady NIL deals. Miami and FSU are on the uptrend as well. Combine that with the decade plus of being mostly irrelevant and how easy it is to get a smaller program into the playoffs, and you simply don't have a destination job anymore.

VN Store

Back