Milton opt out?

Idk. I think results are relative. A few years ago most fans would’ve crawled over broken glass to be able to even be competitive vs Bama. Milton takes the blame for everything even if the wrs played like absolute garbage this year; I’m not saying Joe doesn’t have some responsibility but there was more wrong with the offense this year than just Joe.
I believe it is a team thing. Similar to KC this year. Change in OC, WR's not in the same league as those that played last year. Joe did not have all the gamer insticts HH did, but his TD to INT ratio is what it is. The low number of defense stretching deep balls has had me confused all year. Bet his advisors advised him that entering the Senior Bowl off his career best vs Vandy game would be better than the POTENTIAL results in the bowl, especially with the diminished RB room. He can now wow them in SR Bowl prep, and HOPE for really good results in the game to bolster his draft grades.

Reactions: KHVol
It’s funny all the Joe Defenders. I’m tremendously happy he’s gone; but the guy dipped out early while the team stuck with him the whole dang way. Get over yourselves, Joe was a terrible QB. Great person, terrible player. Peace ✌️ out to all the players who quit.
Get over yourselves? 😂 Maybe you should take your own advice there bud. Difference between “dipping out” and stepping out of the way. Sounds like it was the latter with Milton.

Yeah show Class just like Joe did?? He's really classy to drop out on his team for a Bowl game
You are very uninformed and this is a dumb comment. Joe has been there for the entire bowl prep and helping prepare Nico instead of preparing himself for the senior bowl and the draft. He is with the team in Orlando right now and will be on the sidelines helping to benefit Nico and the team in his first career start as a Vol. Milton is the definition of VFL.

I sincerely feel bad for Joe. The same lack of awareness on the field carries over. Maybe some NFL team thinks they can fix him between the ears, or fails to notice. I just don't see it. Kinda sad.

Just my two cents, but outside of the CFP Bowl games, none of the other Bowl's really matter in the long run. Coaches get excited because it's an extended practice period for those who are eligible. Fans get excited because its the last chance to cheer for your team for another 8 months. However, outside of the teams playing, does anybody really care who wins the Scooter's Coffee Frisco Bowl? The current college football landscape with NIL and the Transfer Portal have taken any sense of "loyalty" away from the game. Guys opting out or bolting for a better paycheck, team be damned, is what college football is now. It's no longer about the school, or the game, but "How much money can I make?" or "I'll declare myself a free agent and see who's willing to pay me the most." It's turned college football into the NFL's AAA system and it's unbelievably sad to see what has happened to the college game is just a few years. You've got guys going into their 6th or sometimes 7th year of eligibility. Two guys are in their 8th year (Northern Illinois linebacker Kyle Pugh and North Carolina State wide receiver Bradley Rozner). Really? Your 8th year of eligibility?!? Why is that even possible? How many "do over's" do we need to accept? The college game has changed. In my opinion, it changed in the way wrong direction, but it's changed none the less. There's no longer any loyalty from these kids, and there's no putting this genie back in the bottle either, so I guess I'll have to accept it or move along.

Reactions: Big Orange in Bama
Just my two cents, but outside of the CFP Bowl games, none of the other Bowl's really matter in the long run. Coaches get excited because it's an extended practice period for those who are eligible. Fans get excited because its the last chance to cheer for your team for another 8 months. However, outside of the teams playing, does anybody really care who wins the Scooter's Coffee Frisco Bowl? The current college football landscape with NIL and the Transfer Portal have taken any sense of "loyalty" away from the game. Guys opting out or bolting for a better paycheck, team be damned, is what college football is now. It's no longer about the school, or the game, but "How much money can I make?" or "I'll declare myself a free agent and see who's willing to pay me the most." It's turned college football into the NFL's AAA system and it's unbelievably sad to see what has happened to the college game is just a few years. You've got guys going into their 6th or sometimes 7th year of eligibility. Two guys are in their 8th year (Northern Illinois linebacker Kyle Pugh and North Carolina State wide receiver Bradley Rozner). Really? Your 8th year of eligibility?!? Why is that even possible? How many "do over's" do we need to accept? The college game has changed. In my opinion, it changed in the way wrong direction, but it's changed none the less. There's no longer any loyalty from these kids, and there's no putting this genie back in the bottle either, so I guess I'll have to accept it or move along.
Maybe I just don't get it, but for the life of me I don't get why people think Bowl games have changed drastically. 90% of them have always been about a little pride, interesting matchups, making a little money and filling airtime over the holidays. Granted, opt outs and transfers have made things more difficult, but in the end it's still football.

I guess I'm just easily entertained. lol

I thought AR was way over valued but he played well before getting hurt. Physical tools will get Joe drafted in round 6-7 imo. But could also be totally wrong!
His physical tools will get him a year or two as an experiment on a practice squad. No one is going to use a draft pick or regular roster spot for such a project. He is a huge longshot.

Reactions: Randall Stephens
Well, here we go! I hope Nico doesnt struggle and get crucified by our fans before he even starts his first season as QB1.
I’m with you. I’m hoping he’s the second coming of Brady but I fear a small percentage of our fan base are waiting to roast this young man. Hopefully the OL will play its best game of the year.

Reactions: EasternVol
Pretty sorry if you ask me that a Starting QB opts out and quits on your team for the bowl game 5 days before the game. Yeah he or others are really VFLs!
How old are you---10? Bowl practices have been kept under wraps for a reason. Some of our fans are just plain stupid. We're about to see the future of Tennessee football in this bowl game----our freshmen talent will be on full display. If it pisses you off, find another team to trash.

Maybe I just don't get it, but for the life of me I don't get why people think Bowl games have changed drastically. 90% of them have always been about a little pride, interesting matchups, making a little money and filling airtime over the holidays. Granted, opt outs and transfers have made things more difficult, but in the end it's still football.

I guess I'm just easily entertained. lol
Oh, I agree. Don't get me wrong, I don't give a rip about who wins most of these games, but it's football and I know what my schedule is from around Dec. 19th through Jan 8th. But, the fact that more and more of the kids playing the game seem to only care about what they are going to get paid and leaving for whoever is the highest bidder is undoubtedly ruining college football. If there aren't some rules, regulations, and extremely harsh penalties and consequences for breaking those rules put into place, NIL and the Transfer Portal will cause more harm that good in my opinion. At the moment, it's the Wild West and I'm not sure anyone has a solid plan on how to rein it in.

Reactions: GAVol
Oh, I agree. Don't get me wrong, I don't give a rip about who wins most of these games, but it's football and I know what my schedule is from around Dec. 19th through Jan 8th. But, the fact that more and more of the kids playing the game seem to only care about what they are going to get paid and leaving for whoever is the highest bidder is undoubtedly ruining college football. If there aren't some rules, regulations, and extremely harsh penalties and consequences for breaking those rules put into place, NIL and the Transfer Portal will cause more harm that good in my opinion. At the moment, it's the Wild West and I'm not sure anyone has a solid plan on how to rein it in.
The conferences and NCAA are going to have to go all in on figuring out a new model that includes revenue sharing so they can slow down the transfers.

This bowl game is one of the most important ones in years.

I just don't see it. A lot of players, some starters, transferred out. This may be a great early look at the team next year but some of the kids coming in won't get reps until Spring, summer training, then fall camp. Nico is (maybe) starting for the first time against a great defense. Not sure what we will learn we don't already know.

Just hoping for a good game and one where we get the W.

Go Vols!

The conferences and NCAA are going to have to go all in on figuring out a new model that includes revenue sharing so they can slow down the transfers.
Yes, that and the whole Conference realignment saga. That has gotten out of control as well. But, that's ultimately what happens when you're involved in a multi BILLION dollar industry I guess.

Reactions: GAVol
Joe Milton...........you gave your all for Tennessee and I appreciate it. You were appreciated for riding the pine for a full year waiting to back up Hendon. You are to be commended for that also. Best of luck in the NFL and we hope you have a long tenure as a PRO ! A Vol fan for over 65 years.

Come on dude, you really think he just decided last night.

We have seen rumors for over a week that Nico was starting and taking first team reps.

I think this is just another CJH orchestrated we don’t know about coming back from injury until game day kind of move.

It’s actually better that Iowa has prepared for weeks for Joe for it to actually be Nico.
Yup. And the timing makes it clear. CJH could keep this under wraps until the team traveled to Orlando yesterday. Now it will be obvious to Iowa that he isn’t starting. The date of this announcement wasn’t coincidental. But Heupel has probably known for weeks

VN Store

Back