MTG Calls for Red State Secession

Could very well be in the right area. We paid $13k this year on this property. If I pick it up and move it 15 miles north it’s likely $8-9k.

The mid cities around SMU are ridiculous. $1M buys you a shack with land worth $999.9k
$13k for property taxes???? In Tennessee, that would be a $2M house in a city. I'd be pissed if II had to pay over a thou a month just in property taxes. For that kind of money they better be over here scrubbing my street with tooth brushes.

Reactions: hog88
California lost a net of 50,000 people last year. Oh no, they still have nearly 40 million people living there. And its still the largest economy in the country.
No, you are not going to do that. We are not talking about net migration. We are specifically talking about why these people leave blue states and move to red states. Don't switch the metrics.

$13k for property taxes???? In Tennessee, that would be a $2M house in a city. I'd be pissed if II had to pay over a thou a month just in property taxes. For that kind of money they better be over here scrubbing my street with tooth brushes.
No state income tax and 8.25% sales tax. The single largest taxing entity is the school district you live in. Probably 75% of property taxes. I’ll go look it up and edit.

Can’t find an easy export so here is a quick summary.

County: $1.1k
Local Municipality: $2.5k
Local School: $9.5k
Local Community College: $600

So that’s right at $13.5k of which 75% go to primary, secondary, and community college education.

Last edited:
No state income tax and 8.25% sales tax. The single largest taxing entity is the school district you live in. Probably 75% of property taxes. I’ll go look it up and edit.

Around here a $13k property tax bill would mean you live in a 2-5 million dollar house.

Reactions: VolStrom
Are you barred from leaving? I hear California is warm.

Why would I destabilize my entire family to move based on my personal politics? Seems pretty petty and selfish. Do you think people should only live in places solely based on their political beliefs?

I've seen the high school stadiums you guys like to build. We know where Texas invests their school money.

Why would I destabilize my entire family to move based on my personal politics? Seems pretty petty and selfish. Do you think people should only live in places solely based on their political beliefs?
No.

But you’re in here touting how much better life is in the Blue states, and you’re living Red.

Reactions: hog88
No, you are not going to do that. We are not talking about net migration. We are specifically talking about why these people leave blue states and move to red states. Don't switch the metrics.

Ok? I said there are a variety reasons why people move. But you seem to think there is only one reason.

Around here a $13k property tax bill would mean you live in a 2-5 million dollar house.
No wonder you people are uneducated heathen. Go look at the breakdown. Lionshare of funds in Texas are schooling. Government is largely sales tax funded. And it works.

Ok? I said there are a variety reasons why people move. But you seem to think there is only one reason.
Putting thoughts in my head and words in my mouth. I never made that claim. It should be obvious that there are several reason why a person would leave. But lets not kid ourselves an ignore that there are a few factors that are unique to blue states that are driving the exodus.

Notice the dog whistle here "protect our way of life". Exact words used by slaveholders in the lead up to the civil war.

No wonder you people are uneducated heathen. Go look at the breakdown. Lionshare of funds in Texas are schooling. Government is largely sales tax funded. And it works.

Same in TN, county property tax money goes to the county schools. If you live in city limits the city property tax goes to the pockets of the councilmen and mayor.

AND Texas is behind TN in public schools.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

The irony of this reply vs my post will remain between us.

However it goes to the larger point that people are moving from bad blue states to good ones like FL. We should ask someone who made such a move....

😂

Let’s take NC for example. One of the most gerrymandered states in the country. The gop easily controls the state legislature there, but the large population centers that tend to be more liberal leaning - Charlotte, Raleigh/Carey, Research Triangle, Asheville metro - would probably not be ok with leaving. The State obviously would want to keep their large economic centers. Should a state legislature be able to make that decision unilaterally? Should people be forced to abandon their homes, jobs, lives, families because the GOP wants to get their way even if they don't represent a majority of the populace?

Or vice versa in a place like Pennsylvania where the Dems have a slight majority in the state legislature? This is not as simple as drawing a line on a map. And people like MTG think that because a state is “red” or “blue” that the people in those places will just willfully go along with whatever their state is labeled.

Either the state legislature makes the decision or have a referendum vote. Hell, if necessary I’ll gladly move to another state or region if it assures abiding by the constitution and enforces the principle of limited government.

VN Store

Back