No one is Underpaid

Gotta poke holes in the burger meat, too.

I went to HS with a Davenport and we had our senior party at their farm. Can't say I remember seeing any cows? Hmmm.

What I liked about that family as little as I know, they were rich and yet his Mom dropped him off at school in a typical suburban station wagon. No flair and humble.

Reactions: AshG
I would have to agree. But have only had it once.

Just for u @StarRaider

dumpster-man.gif

Didn't read the whole thread so it may have been covered but.....................
Sure there are people that are underpaid. They are just willing (for whatever reason) to work at a job where they are underpaid.
Saying nobody is underpaid makes as little sense as saying nobody is overpaid.

Ten LEOs have worked for the same municipality for the same number of years and are on the same pay scale. One does as little as possible and takes the occasional bribe, 8 do the job as expected, and one consistently goes above and beyond expectations.
I would say one is overpaid, 8 are adequately paid, and one is underpaid.
I don't know what surprises me more, that I agree with your continuum, or that you didn't explain to us that you were putting using a continuum.

Last edited:
Reactions: luthervol
The best fry cook in the world with 20 years experience could be replaced tomorrow by a 9th grader with zero experience. That’s why 99.999% of the jobs in restaurants and fast food are unskilled.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
This has been one the most entertaining threads I've read in a while.

I worked a little over 20+ years in the culinary industry, mostly as a chef. Various sous chef & executive chef titles.
Now I'm a diesel mechanic. My only regret is having not done it 10 years ago.
Incidentally, I also delivered pizzas as a teenager. If driving around getting high, delevering pie, & proofing frozen dough (like Papa Johns-we didn't even make it) was a 'skill', I'd be a millionaire. Thankfully I got sober.

Some aspects of the culinary industry are actually quite skilled. I've seen little to no examples in this thread.

I am not the least bit offended to be told that for 20 years of my work history, "I was not essential". In fact I commented several times to friends, coworkers, and family that I was grateful to live in America where I could earn a middle class income with my craft. The restaurant industry in America is a byproduct of economic growth, it is not a prerequisite.

Now that I'm out of the culinary industry I'll simply state that the 'skill' prerequisites are not even close to being the same.

I'm not trying to denigrate any skill, trade, job, or craft, Except engineers, but that's a personal discussion for Waffle House.

Well if they are that easy then you and other people are free to apply and work part time to help out until they can get other people hired. If it is that easy it won't bother you to help out a little. You probably won't even break a sweat.

All restaurants are essential, takes skilled positions to staff them, and provide a skilled service. Not my fault you feel different. You and other people are more than free to cook your own meals.
I don't need the extra work, plus my farm takes most of my free time away from work. I mostly cook and prepare my and my families meals, it doesn't take any special skill for me to do that.

No one is saying it isn't stressful at times, but anyone could jump in and perform the essential job functions with a day or two.

You keep repeating that people should jump in and help, most of us have done that kind of work in the past so I'm not sure what point you're attempting to make. I've worked a pit and a bar in the past. Being a chef or bartender are examples of specific skills. Being a hostess or waitor or fast food worker requires no special skill. That is why they are considered unskilled positions.

I don't need the extra work, plus my farm takes most of my free time away from work. I mostly cook and prepare my and my families meals, it doesn't take any special skill for me to do that.

No one is saying it isn't stressful at times, but anyone could jump in and perform the essential job functions with a day or two.

You keep repeating that people should jump in and help, most of us have done that kind of work in the past so I'm not sure what point you're attempting to make. I've worked a pit and a bar in the past. Being a chef or bartender are examples of specific skills. Being a hostess or waitor or fast food worker requires no special skill. That is why they are considered unskilled positions.
I say people in here should jump in and help due to the following:

1. They claim these are unskilled positions.
2. They also complain that these supposed unskilled positions aren't being filled. Which leads me to believe they are going to some of these places on a regular basis.

What other option do you want me to recommend at this point? I've explained repeatedly it's not specific to the restaurant industry. It's specific to certain restaurants. Chik Fil A and Panda Express pay their workers more money. Therefore, they have not had the issues other restaurants have had in staffing their restaurants.

You can even drive down Lovell Road. There are two restaurants who close extra early now due to staffing issues. The other restaurants on Lovell Road don't seem to have that problem. The gas stations on Lovell don't seem to have the problem either. So that leads me to believe that perhaps those two restaurants maybe aren't as good of a place to work at as the other places I mentioned. So that's there problem to fix. And if someone goes to a restaurant and doesn't like the fact a place is closed early they have options. They can go somewhere else, cook and prepare their own food, or go work there themselves. It's that simple. Nobody else is required to work anywhere because some people have apparently been inconvenienced.

Last but not least. Some people should be more appreciative of the people who are working these service type jobs and stop complaining as much as they do. Most of the people working these jobs are doing the best they can and have done the best they can to help keep these places open.

Reactions: luthervol
And by the way…
8.28 vs 7.25 is a difference of about 2K a year at 40 hours/week. In 1956, the minimum wage was raised to $1.00, which is $10.17 today at purchasing power parity, which is an extra $6000 or so a year over $7.25 with a 40 hour work week.
Four 1956 quarters made of 90% silver is worth about $15.86 as of today's spot silver price.

Reactions: McDad
I say people in here should jump in and help due to the following:

1. They claim these are unskilled positions.
2. They also complain that these supposed unskilled positions aren't being filled. Which leads me to believe they are going to some of these places on a regular basis.

What other option do you want me to recommend at this point? I've explained repeatedly it's not specific to the restaurant industry. It's specific to certain restaurants. Chik Fil A and Panda Express pay their workers more money. Therefore, they have not had the issues other restaurants have had in staffing their restaurants.

You can even drive down Lovell Road. There are two restaurants who close extra early now due to staffing issues. The other restaurants on Lovell Road don't seem to have that problem. The gas stations on Lovell don't seem to have the problem either. So that leads me to believe that perhaps those two restaurants maybe aren't as good of a place to work at as the other places I mentioned. So that's there problem to fix. And if someone goes to a restaurant and doesn't like the fact a place is closed early they have options. They can go somewhere else, cook and prepare their own food, or go work there themselves. It's that simple. Nobody else is required to work anywhere because some people have apparently been inconvenienced.

Last but not least. Some people should be more appreciative of the people who are working these service type jobs and stop complaining as much as they do. Most of the people working these jobs are doing the best they can and have done the best they can to help keep these places open.
In a time where we are dealing with, recovering from a manufactured labor shortage it should not surprise anyone those that pay more fare better than those that pay less.

The rest of your points are made up, nobody is saying they don't appreciate the conveniences they offer.

Edit to add:

The issues are in just about every industry, especially in jobs that are unskilled and lower paying.

The only reason we go to a fast food establishment is convenience, when it takes 20 minutes in the drive through it is no longer convenient. Hence the complaints.

Last edited:
In a time where we are dealing with, recovering from a manufactured labor shortage it should not surprise anyone those that pay more fare better than those that pay less.

The rest of your points are made up, nobody is saying they don't appreciate the conveniences they offer.

Edit to add:

The issues are in just about every industry, especially in jobs that are unskilled and lower paying.

The only reason we go to a fast food establishment is convenience, when it takes 20 minutes in the drive through it is no longer convenient. Hence the complaints.
There are people who don't appreciate them. It's more than apparent from comments on here and on comments I've seen on Facebook. However, people still expect to be offered the convenience and skilled services these places provide.

Many restaurants in this area actually stayed open during the pandemic. However, other industries had to close up shop temporarily. When those other industries reopened many of those workers didn't come back. So guess who took many of those open positions? Restaurant workers did. The problem you have is many people from other industries won't go work in restaurants. Which has created somewhat of a shortage.

Also, that 20 minute wait still isn't that bad for food someone doesn't have to make. It will take most people longer to make that at home. And many people simply don't know how to cook themselves. I don't have that issue. I know how to cook. Like I said if they don't like it they can cook food themselves, go somewhere else, or work there themselves. Pretty plain and simple.

There are people who don't appreciate them. It's more than apparent from comments on here and on comments I've seen on Facebook. However, people still expect to be offered the convenience and skilled services these places provide.

Many restaurants in this area actually stayed open during the pandemic. However, other industries had to close up shop temporarily. When those other industries reopened many of those workers didn't come back. So guess who took many of those open positions? Restaurant workers did. The problem you have is many people from other industries won't go work in restaurants. Which has created somewhat of a shortage.

Also, that 20 minute wait still isn't that bad for food someone doesn't have to make. It will take most people longer to make that at home. And many people simply don't know how to cook themselves. I don't have that issue. I know how to cook. Like I said if they don't like it they can cook food themselves, go somewhere else, or work there themselves. Pretty plain and simple.
I stated nothing that was contrary to anything in this post. I'm just staying that to call them essential is stretching the truth at best.

Any person could fry a hamburger patty and put some fries in the oven and eat 20 minutes later. It's simply a convenience.

I stated nothing that was contrary to anything in this post. I'm just staying that to call them essential is stretching the truth at best.

Any person could fry a hamburger patty and put some fries in the oven and eat 20 minutes later. It's simply a convenience.
Then maybe they should do it more often and stop complaining so much.

VN Store

Back