No one is Underpaid

Unless TN picks up the pace on NIL offers quickly, multiple current Vols are CLEARLY underpaid FWIW 😉

Now you're talking about a manager. Not the hourly employees.. And someone able to do a job vs able to do a job well still doesn't make it a skilled position. The employee pool for a job like that is in the hundred millions. No special education or training required unlike nurses, hvac techs, ect.

Sure it take more than a few hours to be good. If you do something a lot you will be better at that than someone that hasn't done it as much. But being the best cash register employee doesn't make it a skilled job.
You really think all that person is doing is working at a cash register all day? You think they don't have other duties like cleaning the dining room, cleaning the bathroom, helping expedite orders, dealing with customers the entire day, etc. Or maybe they are also being cross- trained in other parts of the store.

Obviously you have never had to do it and are completely clueless on what it takes to work in a restaurant. As a matter of fact, if those jobs are so unskilled and easy to do then go apply and work there yourself part time. After all you said it was easy so it should not be hard for you and others to go in there to do them. Maybe you can show them how they can do their jobs better while you are at it. And better yet, you will have more money at the end of the week. So it would be a win-win situation.

If you and others aren't willing to do it yourself then yes it's a skilled position. It's not my fault however that you and other people continue to look down on others at this point.

Without a doubt it's hard work.
It is hard work and there are some great people who work in that industry. I met a manager at Hardees recently who said he had been there for over 30 years. I have nothing but absolute respect for him because I know I couldn't work there that long. Working there while I was in high school and the year after were enough for me. Went in the Marine Corps after that.

It is hard work and there are some great people who work in that industry. I met a manager at Hardees recently who said he had been there for over 30 years. I have nothing but absolute respect for him because I know I couldn't work there that long. Working there while I was in high school and the year after were enough for me. Went in the Marine Corps after that.

I can't be nice to stupid/rude people enough to work with the general public, that in itself is a skill.....

I can't be nice to stupid/rude people enough to work with the general public, that in itself is a skill.....
Oh there were times I got a little rude back. I hate to say it but sometimes it's necessary. And there were also a few times people had to be told to take their business elsewhere. Mainly because of constant complaints so they could get free meals. It's funny how they never had a complaint about the free meals they received though.

They are essential to you and other people because you can't live without them. Apparently a hard concept for you to grasp.

You also seem to have very little respect for working class people. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I would suggest contacting your state reps during the next pandemic if you have a problem with certain businesses being considered essential at that time.

Lol. They aren’t essential to anyone except people too lazy or incompetent to fend for themselves. You can’t grasp the distinction between convenience and something actually being essential. Food is essential, it doesn’t make damn where it comes from.

You really think all that person is doing is working at a cash register all day? You think they don't have other duties like cleaning the dining room, cleaning the bathroom, helping expedite orders, dealing with customers the entire day, etc. Or maybe they are also being cross- trained in other parts of the store.
Being busy is not a skilled job. All of those tasks are things most anyone can be taught to do in a few hours/days with practice. What are the education requirements for typical hourly restaurant employees?

Obviously you have never had to do it and are completely clueless on what it takes to work in a restaurant. As a matter of fact, if those jobs are so unskilled and easy to do then go apply and work there yourself part time. After all you said it was easy so it should not be hard for you and others to go in there to do them.
Sure I worked jobs like that. When I was in high school and college. But you do make an excellent point that backs up my argument. I'm a 42 year old that could go in, apply, and be hired at an hourly restaurant/grocery/warehouse job. Why? Because it doesn't require education or special training. Now how many hourly restaurant employees could be hired to be a nurse, hvac tech, ect without the education and training required?

If you and others aren't willing to do it yourself then yes it's a skilled position. It's not my fault however that you and other people continue to look down on others at this point.
Again, you are mistaking unskilled for disrespect. I've never said a job is easy or not worth respect. Just that there's different levels of education required that differentiate between skilled/unskilled.

Being busy is not a skilled job. All of those tasks are things most anyone can be taught to do in a few hours/days with practice. What are the education requirements for typical hourly restaurant employees?

Sure I worked jobs like that. When I was in high school and college. But you do make an excellent point that backs up my argument. I'm a 42 year old that could go in, apply, and be hired at an hourly restaurant/grocery/warehouse job. Why? Because it doesn't require education or special training. Now how many hourly restaurant employees could be hired to be a nurse, hvac tech, ect without the education and training required?

Again, you are mistaking unskilled for disrespect. I've never said a job is easy or not worth respect. Just that there's different levels of education required that differentiate between skilled/unskilled.
Okay. At this point all I can suggest you do is complete an application and go work part time somewhere As easy as you say it is apparently you won't break a sweat. And you will make some extra money on top of that. Otherwise, it's a skilled job that you are not willing to do and rely on others to do it for you.

Obviously you have never had to do it and are completely clueless on what it takes to work in a restaurant. As a matter of fact, if those jobs are so unskilled and easy to do then go apply and work there yourself part time. After all you said it was easy so it should not be hard for you and others to go in there to do them. Maybe you can show them how they can do their jobs better while you are at it. And better yet, you will have more money at the end of the week. So it would be a win-win situation.

ALL functions of unskilled laborers. You just keep piling one uninformed post after another on top of each other. Hard work does NOT equal skilled labor. Having to receive some minimal amount of training does NOT equal skilled labor. In fact, the harder someone works physically at their job is usually a solid indication that the job is UNSKILLED. Skilled laborers are paid more for their knowledge and experience than for physical labor.

Lol. They aren’t essential to anyone except people too lazy or incompetent to fend for themselves. You can’t grasp the distinction between convenience and something actually being essential. Food is essential, it doesn’t make damn where it comes from.

Debating who is an "essential worker" or not is pointless and frankly smacks of an "ism". The only person that can decide who is essential or not is the person writing the checks.

Reactions: Vol8188
ALL jobs of unskilled laborers. You just keep piling one uninformed post after another on top of each other. Hard work does NOT equal skilled labor. Having to receive some minimal amount of training does NOT equal skilled labor.
Okay. I'll tell you like I've told others. These restaurants need help. Go apply and get a part time job at one. It's unskilled so you'll have no problem with it. As a matter of fact I'm sure you would do a much better job than the people already there.

At this point that's all I can tell. If you aren't willing to work there then it's a skilled job that you cannot do.

You have terrible metrics. How many people want to do the job determines skilled vs unskilled?

You keep using that word, I dont think you know what it means.

Okay. I'll tell you like I've told others. These restaurants need help. Go apply and get a part time job at one. It's unskilled so you'll have no problem with it. As a matter of fact I'm sure you would do a much better job than the people already there.

At this point that's all I can tell. If you aren't willing to work there then it's a skilled job that you cannot do.
As I've already told you, I have worked numerous restaurant jobs earlier in my life when I was in high school and college. It is hard work. Hard work does NOT equal skilled labor. The fact that I choose not to work in restaurants now has ZERO to do with those jobs having skilled labor, and it has ZERO to do with me not respecting people that work in those positions. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that my education and work experience provides me opportunities to work in positions that pay FAR MORE money doing less strenuous work doing something that I enjoy.

Also, people that HAVE worked in the restaurant industry tend to treat those people with MORE respect and they are often BETTER tippers because they know it is hard work. That doesn't, however, make it skilled labor.

Last edited:
You have terrible metrics. How many people want to do the job determines skilled vs unskilled?

You keep using that word, I dont think you know what it means.
He doesn't. He also keeps saying that it's hard work. Hard physical work is a sign of unskilled labor. Take vineyard workers for example. That is backbreaking, hard, physical labor picking grapes all day in a vineyard. Vineyards hire mostly immigrant, unskilled laborers.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Debating who is an "essential worker" or not is pointless and frankly smacks of an "ism". The only person that can decide who is essential or not is the person writing the checks.

I wasn’t talking about a person I was talking about a business. Do you believe restaurants are essential for people to survive?

Ok you clearly have no idea what skilled means. Willingness to work a job doesnt determine if its skilled or not.

Tons of people want to be an astronaut, most people given the chance would take it. So in your book astronauts are unskilled. Think about that.

Skilled vs unskilled is simply a function of how many/what prerequisites are there to get a job. It does nothing to indicate if one skilled job is better than an unskilled job. It doesnt saying anything about the people who work them. Or who works harder, or if people want the job.

You are overly defensive, and creating arguments where there are none.

As I've already told you, I have worked numerous restaurant jobs earlier in my life when I was in high school and college. It is hard work. Hard work does NOT equal skilled labor. The fact that I choose not to work in restaurants now has ZERO to do with those jobs having skilled labor, and it has ZERO to do with me not respecting people that work in those positions. It has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that my education and work experience provides me opportunities to work in positions that pay FAR MORE money doing less strenuous work doing something that I enjoy.
So you admit that's it is strenuous work that you don't want to do. But totally expect other people to do it. Yet you still want to make the claim its not a skilled job. Get over yourself and stop disrespecting people. Some of you really do make conservatives look bad with your lack of respect for what other people are doing for a living.

It's skilled labor because you don't want to do it yourself. Plain and simple.

I wasn’t talking about a person I was talking about a business. Do you believe restaurants are essential for people to survive?

No but neither are mechanics, heat/air techs, lawyers, accountants, police, welders, plumbers, architects, teachers, firemen, salesmen, truck drivers, ext and ext.

Ok you clearly have no idea what skilled means. Willingness to work a job doesnt determine if its skilled or not.

Tons of people want to be an astronaut, most people given the chance would take it. So in your book astronauts are unskilled. Think about that.

Skilled vs unskilled is simply a function of how many/what prerequisites are there to get a job. It does nothing to indicate if one skilled job is better than an unskilled job. It doesnt saying anything about the people who work them. Or who works harder, or if people want the job.

You are overly defensive, and creating arguments where there are none.
Are you working any of these positions yourself? If not, then yes it's a skilled position that you often depend on to get by each week. Maybe you should learn to show some respect for other people.

You and a few others simply see certain groups of workers as beneath you and even go out of your way to justify your views.

And if you and others are Christian I would highly suggest reading some scriptures.

So you admit that's it is strenuous work that you don't want to do. But totally expect other people to do it. Yet you still want to make the claim its not a skilled job. Get over yourself and stop disrespecting people. Some of you really do make conservatives look bad with your lack of respect for what other people are doing for a living.

It's skilled labor because you don't want to do it yourself. Plain and simple.

Not wanting to do a job doesn’t make that job “skilled”. If an electrical engineer that works for Boeing doesn’t want to work a drive-thru doesn’t make working a drive-thru a skilled job.

I don't have any more time to waste trying to educate someone that is clueless and doesn't want to learn anything. This discussion has nothing to do with anything other than the huge chip that you have on your shoulder.

VN Store

Back