Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Two of our upcoming top 10 opponents got/getting their doors blown off today..

Dang, So Carolina better than last year. Tall task to beat them.
I would not say better, just different. 36-1 was a tough record to follow, but this SC team brings its own identity. I posted a few months ago that I expected 6-8 losses this season……I’m starting to think more like 4-5. Parity in D1 WCBB is a real thing, but the top 10-12 teams are just different than the rest, and this SC team is starting to look like they are further along than even I anticipated.

Reactions: JustaChicken
Getting ready to check out the Florida State game at 5.

Saw what I needed to see from three of the teams TN will face this season, neither has a matchup answer for Rickea Jackson. Tennessee’s staff put the roster together very well (a tidbit from the commentators last night during the Team USA v Lady Vols scrimmage not my words) with the additions of elite guards Destinee Wells and Jewel Spear along with the much improved returning core they can go 10 deep.
Today and since way back to the Foreign Tour TN won the off-season.
I’m never going to put any stock on how team season will play out based on in an exhibition game win or loss. Fact is, TN can start three #1 options two with years of experience in the ACC & SEC, no team in the country has that not even LSU. Three number #1 options that have carried teams for multiple seasons.
Get your popcorn ready.

For me not to early to tell. Looks to me like SC has two starting teams and the second in some ways better than the first when you add Cardoso to it. They go ten deep without any dropout we can't say that yet. Matter of fact we need a big game tomorrow because the defense has been shoddy for the most part from to many players and shooters that were supposed to be elite are not doing much yet. Of course it is still to early to tell how the team will pan out, but easy to see that SC has two starting teams and with Cardoso with any four of them is going to be really hard to beat.
U can’t say what u think a team has better than us on here, they will crucify u for that. U need to say our bench play will be the best I’m the country.

Yeah, I think this is ultimately true. TN has more bench questions at this point but answers should be around by the end of the week.

Not definite.
Tennessee can pencil in three #1 options in the starting 5, the bench doesn’t have to be better than SC.
Honestly, they just (TN staff) need to find a spot in the rotation to play Kaiya Wynn and a lot of gaps between the starters and bench would be decreased in the backcourt.
Wynn is an athlete that can run the floor and she can play defense.
TN frontcourt no matter how people try to spin it is better overall.

Reactions: brittannica
Getting ready to check out the Florida State game at 5.

Saw what I needed to see from three of the teams TN will face this season, neither has a matchup answer for Rickea Jackson. Tennessee’s staff put the roster together very well (a tidbit from the commentators last night during the Team USA v Lady Vols scrimmage not my words) with the additions of elite guards Destinee Wells and Jewel Spear along with the much improved returning core they can go 10 deep.
Today and since way back to the Foreign Tour TN won the off-season.
I’m never going to put any stock on how team season will play out based on in an exhibition game win or loss. Fact is, TN can start three #1 options two with years of experience in the ACC & SEC, no team in the country has that not even LSU. Three number #1 options that have carried teams for multiple seasons.
Get your popcorn ready.
LSU has Reese, Morrow and Van Lith, that was/is 3 number one options……no?

U can’t say what u think a team has better than us on here, they will crucify u for that. U need to say our bench play will be the best I’m the country.
Our bench was never going to be the best in the country and even though I think we can compete with anybody we need to play a lot better than we have shown in the exhibitions. We know we have Rickea she has done her part can't say that about many others to this point. Hopefully we get a big game and some solid defense tomorrow. I don't want to see us trending into the defense of last season which if you look at Carson Newman we gave up 63 last year and 72 this season. Not a reason to panic but the defense was not very good from a lot of players we'll look for better tomorrow.

Not definite.
Tennessee can pencil in three #1 options in the starting 5, the bench doesn’t have to be better than SC.
Honestly, they just (TN staff) need to find a spot in the rotation to play Kaiya Wynn and a lot of gaps between the starters and bench would be decreased in the backcourt.
Wynn is an athlete that can run the floor and she can play defense.
TN frontcourt no matter how people try to spin it is better overall.
I’m not arguing. I’m asking. Is the LV front court better than the SC front court? It may well be, but I follow both teams closely and I feel I could not make that statement right now, not enough info yet imo.

If you listed the top 4-5 front court players from each team, I have no problem saying RJ is the best of both squads….I put Cardoso a very close second. After that it gets subjective….but Watkins, Feagin, Kitts and Jah versus Jill, Key, Striplin, and Puckett also seems pretty competitive. I’m not sure which is better at this point, they are both really good.

Last edited:
Our bench was never going to be the best in the country and even though I think we can compete with anybody we need to play a lot better than we have shown in the exhibitions. We know we have Rickea she has done her part can't say that about many others to this point. Hopefully we get a big game and some solid defense tomorrow. I don't want to see us trending into the defense of last season which if you look at Carson Newman we gave up 63 last year and 72 this season. Not a reason to panic but the defense was not very good from a lot of players we'll look for better tomorrow.
I’ve seen some things that concern me, but I’ll wait until we play FSU and Indiana to see if it changes, and then I’ll give my unbiased opinion.

LSU has Reese, Morrow and Van Lith, that was/is 3 number one options……no?

Did you watch Jewel Spear vs Van Lith last season?
Destinee Wells leading Belmont against Top 25 Power 5 teams for 3 seasons?
It’s not the same.
LSU advantage has been on the sideline not the court.
TN very well could’ve beaten LSU twice last season.

I’ve seen some things that concern me, but I’ll wait until we play FSU and Indiana to see if it changes, and then I’ll give my unbiased opinion.
Same here but they need to hold that team tomorrow to less than 60 while scoring about 90 plus otherwise will be somewhat concerned. I think Massey has it Tennessee 91 to their 42 so we'll see how it turns out. I'm not trying to run down the team, but it is easy to see who is doing the job and who isn't and the ones that aren't need to see a lot less time on the floor.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Same here but they need to hold that team tomorrow to less than 60 while scoring about 90 plus otherwise will be somewhat concerned. I think Massey has it Tennessee 91 to their 42 so we'll see how it turns out. I'm not trying to run down the team, but it is easy to see who is doing the job and who isn't and the ones that aren't need to see a lot less time on the floor.
I just don’t put much in playing a cupcake, if it’s a blowout, the end of the bench will get a lot of time. The thing is this team has flaws that I won’t address now but we have Rickea and no matter what she gives us a chance.

I just don’t put much in playing a cupcake, if it’s a blowout, the end of the bench will get a lot of time. The thing is this team has flaws that I won’t address now but we have Rickea and no matter what she gives us a chance.
We won't learn much unless they play us a close game like 20 or less then it will be time to worry a little.

Yes it is. UConn has three in Bueckers, Edwards, and Fudd and I would throw in a healthy Ducharme as a 4th one option.
If you including a player that averaged like 7pts a game last season, I’m putting Jillian Hollingshead as Tennessee’s 4th.
Former McD All-American. 6’5 PF/C put on a dominant performance against AR and LSU in the SEC tourney.
USA U21 3x3 selection.
Jill got next.

I see Vanderbilt was out rebounded by Kennesaw State. Does not bode well for them this SEC season.

Nice offensive game for Pissott but haven’t watched yet. Only grabbed one board. Looks like she was chillin on the perimeter like she wants to do.

If you including a player that averaged like 7pts a game last season, I’m putting Jillian Hollingshead as Tennessee’s 4th.
Former McD All-American. 6’5 PF/C put on a dominant performance against AR and LSU in the SEC tourney.
USA U21 3x3 selection.
Jill got next.
Ducharme was listed as a fourth in that post….Fudd, Edwards and of course Paige have been #1s….no question. I thought you were the one that said no other team can put out 3 “no.1’s”….so we have already established both LSU and Uconn can do that.

VN Store

Back