Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Glv, I blame the high incomes many players now have for some of them being a little thicker. Unfortunately, they can now afford to go out to eat more often, and obviously do. And more time spent eating out means less time working out! 😂

That’s my theory, anyway. 😵‍💫

I'm sure they'll pull it together and beat up on the mid to lower SEC. But a whole lot of shine and intimidation factor is gone from LSU. And notably, not a single dance, staredown, nor ring pointing happened. Probably first time in many games for LSU.
Surely you're not suggesting that they weren't being their authentic selves?

Glv, I blame the high incomes many players now have for some of them being a little thicker. Unfortunately, they can now afford to go out to eat more often, and obviously do. And more time spent eating out means less time working out! 😂

That’s my theory, anyway. 😵‍💫
Getting wined and dined I'm thinking.

And before anyone starts, I believe we've established that commenting on basketball playing physical shape is OK. LSU's new NIL magnates are not in good basketball shape.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
You not agreeing doesn’t take away the fact. A few mainly the minority on this board go to the extreme to try to create a narrative.. UConn went home last year in the Sweet 16 and got boat race fairly easy in the game… that is reality unless you are living on one of those TVA timeline branches!!
I never mentioned the UConn Ohio St game. If you are into reality, the UConn team just ran out of gas after a season of injury turmoil, and they were not prepared for the second quarter onslaught. By the way, the first, third and fourth quarters were played evenly. I never complained about that, and you seem to think that just about every player on the LV roster is elite. RJ is that, but we have yet to see about the others, which you have already said are elite. You just take personally whenever someone disagrees with you. You think we are all dummies and don't know the game, and if we don't agree with you, you just come up with a reason to put us down. Just grow up and listen to what other people say, and maybe you can have a decent WBB conversation instead of criticizing everybody else's opinions.

I just went back and watched last year’s Colorado vs Tennessee game.

Colorado couldn’t play with Tennessee’s size. Powell had a solid game against Sherrod. Rickea used her athleticism to cause problems for Miller.

Last night, Colorado matched up well across the board with LSU.
LSU is very small in the post.
It be interesting to see how this Tennessee group, returning several players from last year’s core that beat both Colorado and LSU will look early this season compared to last season.

Get your popcorn ready.

Last edited:
I heard a couple of celebrity folks got excited about elite play/shot making from the rookies on opening day.

Those folks must of been sleeping cause this ain’t nothing new to WCB..

Fear da Spear wake these folks up🍊

Too bad that was the only shot she made all night. I know she’ll do better. She, Wells, and Avery are just getting started.

Last edited:
I heard a couple of celebrity folks got excited about elite play/shot making from the rookies on opening day.

Those folks must of been sleeping cause this ain’t nothing new to WCB..

Fear da Spear wake these folks up🍊

Updated to say: That’s the same team she dropped 34 points on in the regular season.. “wiped” they nose!

Last edited:
Or as Brian Rice said on twitter, Kim will never ever again play a nonconference opponent with a pulse.

So interesting to me, in the most fun way possible, that Kim saw and called this whole situation coming since summer but was powerless to change it. It's the textbook of what can go wrong with a portal superteam, Kellie having written the introduction early last year. I get that dealing with NIL superstars w celebrity obligation is new to everyone but I though Kim would crack the whip.

Article out describing a Kim sit down w Angel when she returned to campus right before practice started. Kim questioned her focus, AR assured her it was a relief to be back to just bball and she was totally committed. Trouble was, it was way too late bc other teams (like ours) were in the gym and weight room all summer. Quite a miscalculation, esp after Americup, that the switch could be reset that easily. Truth is, AR is just not a very gifted natural nor elite athlete. Scrappy as hell, but needs intense gym time.

LSU as a whol looks woefully out of shape and out of synch. I expected out of synch for HVL at PG, but not out of shape. She does look thicker and it doesn't look like muscular gain. She also is what she is and always was, a streaky, high volume shooter w high assists but high turnovers.

I'm sure they'll pull it together and beat up on the mid to lower SEC. But a whole lot of shine and intimidation factor is gone from LSU. And notably, not a single dance, staredown, nor ring pointing happened. Probably first time in many games for LSU.
I wouldn’t say too much, because once we lose a game the haters will say a bunch of stuff about is as well, like players not being in shape or having no heart or whatever they will come up with. Mostly every team will lose a game if not every team.

Reactions: Rooster1
I wouldn’t say too much, because once we lose a game the haters will say a bunch of stuff about is as well, like players not being in shape or having no heart or whatever they will come up with. Mostly every team will lose a game if not every team.
Every itoa of that is just normal fan board behavior. Of course they'll pile on when we lose and vice versa. Do you think if you don't do it they'll think twice? I can never wrap my head around posters on a fan board who decry standard fan board behavior. Especially when you're #1 and wear that with swag, yep, you're going to hear about a beatdown like LSU took.

BTW, LSU's coach is who said they lacked heart, fight, and leadership. In case you couldn't clearly see that on the screen.

Every itoa of that is just normal fan board behavior. Of course they'll pile on when we lose and vice versa. Do you think if you don't do it they'll think twice? I can never wrap my head around posters on a fan board who decry standard fan board behavior. Especially when you're #1 and wear that with swag, yep, you're going to hear about a beatdown like LSU took.

BTW, LSU's coach is who said they lacked heart, fight, and leadership. In case you couldn't clearly see that on the screen.
I will say it’s good when a coach calls out their team for lack of effort instead of smiling and saying absolutely nothing. When a team play lackluster they need to called out and not handles with kids gloves like some believe.

Mikayla Daniels has officially been in college FOREVER. A nice player, she always gives us a tough game.

Arkansas neck and neck with UL Monroe at the moment. Neighbors still has very little size and no idea what to do with the size he does have. It’s baffling.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I would not say better, just different. 36-1 was a tough record to follow, but this SC team brings its own identity. I posted a few months ago that I expected 6-8 losses this season……I’m starting to think more like 4-5. Parity in D1 WCBB is a real thing, but the top 10-12 teams are just different than the rest, and this SC team is starting to look like they are further along than even I anticipated.

So what are the take aways from SC vs ND? 70 of 100 points scored in the paint with 19 by guards and 29 assists.

So what are the take aways from SC vs ND? 70 of 100 points scored in the paint with 19 by guards and 29 assists.
Paopao is a gamechanger for the Gamecocks. She is an elite playmaker and 3-point shooter in one. She is essentially the piece that South Carolina was missing in 2022-23. The Gamecocks are thinner up front than over the last couple of seasons but as long as Cardoso stays healthy their interior defense will be just fine. Watkins and Feagin both look ready to up their games from last season. If Sakima Walker can round into shape only UCLA (among the expected tournament contenders) will have greater depth in the post.

Given their level of success over the prior four season Dawn Staley was locked into her starting five. This season, she has much greater flexibility in shaping her team's play. The stress on defense and rebounding won't change, of course. But the tempo and 3-point shooting are likely to substantially increase. Much like with Notre Dame, I would expect the Gamecocks to wear teams down. I expect to see them in the Final Four.

VN Store

Back